MK802IIIS Flash Recovery/Upgrade Guide

Forum to discuss the new Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 IIIS (bluetooth) Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: MK802IIIS Flash Recovery/Upgrade Guide

Postby DizziEyez » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:19 am

I had nearly the same symptoms, couldn't flash my mini PC because my desktop, laptop, netbook didn't/couldn't "see" the device. That darn blue light just wouldn't come on. After hours of scouring the Net, I had a look at the USB power specs for my PC's, for which the maximum current rating for any port was 500mA. Now that should suffice because there are no other devices drawing current via the mini PC, but I think my lil device is "special", and requires more to power up than usual.

To circumnavigate the power issue, the following procedure worked for me:

1. 2 x USB cables are required for this
a. 1 x USB cable for connection to the DC port. This is just for power, like from a USB hub, power adaptor, or similar
b. 1 x USB cable for connection to the OTG port. This is for the data transfer or communication

2. While holding reset button, insert USB cable for power into the DC port (blue internal light comes on).

3. Release the reset switch after about 3 seconds.

4. Connect the USB cable for communication to the OTG port on the MK802IIIS and USB port on computer.

5. Wait for device to be recognised (which should be instantaneous, so not too much waiting actually), update USB drivers (if necessary)

6. Install/restore/update firmware (or whatever)

My logic? To put the device into recovery mode, requires only for the reset button to be depressed, whilst powering up. Connecting the USB/OTG cable is only for comms between mini PC and host. I initiated recovery mode with a dedicated supply, and then continued with the rest.

During the firmware update process, the current supply required by the mini PC increases because of the internals coming alive. Making sure there's enough juice available to successfully complete the procedure is imperative. So even after you've successfully hooked up your mini PC to your host, the update procedure will inadvertently increase the current demand.

With that said, I've seen lots of queries regarding reboot looping, bricking, etc. on the forums. Maybe its exactly why those devices are showing those symptoms after updates. But then again....maybe its not.... :)

Either/or, hope this helps....
DizziEyez

Postby thisisit » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 pm

I have tried 2 Win7 and 2 different micro USB to USB cable, I can install win7 driver successfully ( I can see "RoUSB device" in device manager). However Rockchip Batch Tool doesn't see it, "Connected devices" are all grey. What is the problem?
thisisit

Postby petedt » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi all
I just bought a new mk802iiis and it came with 4.2.
Is the recovery file 4.2 or a previous version as Id like to revert back so that netflix and other things work properly.
Can anyone help?
Thanks
Pete
petedt

Postby Zecik123 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:56 am

For information - see "Mini PC User Manual" on http://www.rikomagic.com/en/download/download_25_1.html.
System recovery/update is included (part 14, page 18) --> for WinXP & Win 7 (very detailed).
Zecik123

Postby zizo_sam » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:32 am

hello.
thank you for the great help here but iv found one problem each time i try to manually install the drivers. the computer says that the driver was installed but its not compatable with my platform and i tried downloading a all the recovery files suitable with my mini PC but nothing worked. i need help
my model is Rikomagic MK 802 IIIS

yazid
zizo_sam

Postby Colton3310 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks for sharing. I think you should use Kvisoft Mac File Recovery to recover your data from MK802IIIS Flash. Easy to use!
Colton3310

Postby Arjanz » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Hello i have flashed my mk802IIIs with the correct firmware but when i boot it just says recovery system 4.1 and just blinks
i have waited more then one hour but nothing changes and i have tried hitting enter any suggestions ?
Arjanz

Postby Colton3310 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:16 am

Thanks. I think Kvisoft Recovery Software would help you. It can recover files from various flash drives with ease.
Colton3310

Postby logotestzcj » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 am

I have been in the same route with the first quest question posted above... At first I couldn't manage to have windows 8 recognize rikomagic USB drive.... I just found out that I use the wrong USB port, When you connect Rikomagic to computer please make sure you use the one on the side way next to the data mode switch (On the side of the thumb drive) Not the one that we usually got the power supply from the end of the Thumb Drive... Now I have my firmware upgrade and it seem to work fine at the moment.....
logotestzcj

Postby DaveyP » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Ok i have major issues. I've tried everything stated before. I can't get the PC to find the device and all i have on the screen is a gray/white screen splash. is there a Jumper for the IIIs (b) chip?
DaveyP

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 IIIS Forum