Newbie, please help with update

Forum to discuss the new Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 IIIS (bluetooth) Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Newbie, please help with update

Postby dbwster » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:32 am

I'm new to this A friend upgraded his equipment and gave me his old MK802 IIIS/8G(B)
XBMC is not quite working right, has some livestream tv channels, most of them are slow, picture quality is not so good including HD channels and it's quite frustrating that it's buffering all the time. I'm in Canada so I downloaded the Canada On Demand add-on, all the channels shows a picture when I select it but they all error out when I tried to run. Most of the video add-ons takes a long time to start then some errored out.
I think maybe I need to update the firmware.
I checked "About device" and it's showing:
- Andoid version 4.1.1
- Kenel version 8.0.3 zs@hotack-desktop#106 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 10 13:37:36 CST 2013
- Build number MK802IIIS_ANDROID4.1.1-SDK-v.00.1015
I came to this forum, downloaded the update, followed the instructions to download and copy the file Rikomagic S8B_20131107.img onto a micro SD card.
Plugged it into the device, no update prompt. I powered it off and on again, still no update prompt.
I plugged the device to my W7 laptop, it doesn't see it, check Device Manager, nothing new there, scanned for hardware changes, nothing.
I then renamed the file on the microSD card to update.img, still nothing.

I thought it suppose to automatically come up and ask me if I want to update but regardless what I tried, nothing comes up.

I'm baffled, I have no idea what to do next. Please help.
dbwster

Re: Newbie, please help with update

Postby twjordo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:00 am

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3942#p10525

that is the flashing tutorial :ugeek:
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby dbwster » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:17 am

twjordo wrote:http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3942#p10525

that is the flashing tutorial :ugeek:

I did, that's where I went first. I only came here to post because the instructions there didn't work for me, specifically the below:

andykirby wrote:Guide for flashing firmware to MK802IIIS

I have attempted to create an easy user guide for those who wish to recover their MK802IIIS devices using the Flash Method.

Please note for the MK802IIIS there are 2 methods to install new firmware.

1. Using an update.img file (provided by Rikomagic support pages) which is copied onto a blank SD card and inserted into the device. The Rikomagic is then powered on and boots to Android where it will recognise the update.img file on the SD card and ask you if you want to install the upgrade. THIS IS FOR SIMPLE UPGRADING only, it will NOT recover a device that will not boot or has other issues

I followed the above instructions as I just want to do a simple upgrade but nothing happened, it didn't ask if I want to install upgrade.
As indicated earlier I'm quite new to this, I just want to do a simple upgrade and avoid having to wipe it out and reload everything.
dbwster

Postby twjordo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:02 pm

did you install the proper drivers? if not then go to device manager and install the drivers from the batch tool

are you initializing flash mode via the reset button? you have to use a toothpick or needle to hit the button and hold the button down while connecting to pc with the batch tool open
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby dbwster » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:11 pm

twjordo wrote:did you install the proper drivers? if not then go to device manager and install the drivers from the batch tool

are you initializing flash mode via the reset button? you have to use a toothpick or needle to hit the button and hold the button down while connecting to pc with the batch tool open

Sorry I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

I think the questions you're asking me is about flashing the firmware. I'm not trying to flash the firmware, just trying to do option 1 from the guide below:
andykirby wrote:Guide for flashing firmware to MK802IIIS
1. Using an update.img file (provided by Rikomagic support pages) which is copied onto a blank SD card and inserted into the device. The Rikomagic is then powered on and boots to Android where it will recognise the update.img file on the SD card and ask you if you want to install the upgrade. THIS IS FOR SIMPLE UPGRADING only, it will NOT recover a device that will not boot or has other issues.

If I understand the instructions correctly, all I need to do is to copy the update img file on to a MicroSD card and plug it into the device (no connection to any PC needed), when it boots up it should ask me if I want to do an update. The issue is that I don't get the prompt to do the update after inserted the microSD card.

So I guess the question is how can I do a simple update using the img file and the microSD card? Is the instructions above from the Guide not accurate? Are there other steps missing?
dbwster

Postby Zecik123 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Read this - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... ment_reply.
For TF card method should be special *.zip file. Unfortunately there is no such a file provided by Rikomagic.
Zecik123

Postby velin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:50 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GGLA3YZ2r8
Here is a useful video for upgrade.
velin

Return to Rikomagic MK802 IIIS Forum