dual boot

Forum for discussing the Picuntu Linux distro, a fully featured Linux OS for the MK802III(S) devices.

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

dual boot

Postby vlasten » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:06 pm

I installed picuntu to MK802IIIS. I am not able to set dual boot mode. After the installation I am booting to the Android. It is OK. Then reboot to recovery and Linux is booting. But then I am always booting to the Linux after restart and I am not able to boot back to Android. Only possible way is re-flashing recovery image.
What is wrong? What can I do to ensure the dual-boot?
vlasten

Re: dual boot

Postby aloksinha2001 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:40 pm

What is your base android ROM ?

If you are using finless ROM 1.6 - that will be a problem... you should use Bob's finless1.5a - that works ok...

Alok
aloksinha2001

Postby vlasten » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 pm

I am using bob finless 1.5. I tried to upgrade to 1.5a but it did not work in MK802IIIS. S I came back to 1.5.

I installed the linux according to the description. First boot to Android, granting SU access to the Reboot App and then shut down. Flashing linux recovery img. Then device booted to Android and after reboot to recovery the linux booted. After each other shut down only Linux is booting then. Re-flashing the original recovery img - Android boot again.

I think it can be some feature. When I used CWM recovery image and booted to recovery, disconnected from usb, conneced again - IIIS is booting again to CWM. Only possibility how to reboot back to Android system was to use "reboot system now" in CWM menu. I thing it is strange and the linux in recovery part of Android works similar.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!
vlasten

Postby aloksinha2001 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Well... I do not have a 802IIIs yet - but thanks to Andy, he is sponsoring one device for me to test out - the device and I should meet early next week... I will get to the bottom of this, then.

Alok
aloksinha2001

Postby tecknight » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:22 am

vlasten wrote:I am using bob finless 1.5. I tried to upgrade to 1.5a but it did not work in MK802IIIS. S I came back to 1.5.

I installed the linux according to the description. First boot to Android, granting SU access to the Reboot App and then shut down. Flashing linux recovery img. Then device booted to Android and after reboot to recovery the linux booted. After each other shut down only Linux is booting then. Re-flashing the original recovery img - Android boot again.

I think it can be some feature. When I used CWM recovery image and booted to recovery, disconnected from usb, conneced again - IIIS is booting again to CWM. Only possibility how to reboot back to Android system was to use "reboot system now" in CWM menu. I thing it is strange and the linux in recovery part of Android works similar.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Vlasten,
I have seen this issue before. It doesn't have anything to do with your MK802 IIIS vs non-S. It is a partition issue. The following has fixed this issue for others:
1. Reflash BOB's Finless whatever is the appropriate version including stock recovery, BUT you MUST Erase NAND(IDB) before flashing. Bob actually has this in his flashing instructions, but alot of people fail to do it.
The erase NAND is necessary as you are changing some partition sizes regardless of the parameter file you choose.
2. After flashing, your device will automatically reboot into "stock" recovery to flash all partitions except the recovery partition. Once recovery has done it's job, your device should reboot to Android.
3. Make sure all is well in Android.
4. Then flash the Picuntu kernel (only) to your recovery partition.

I have instructions here:
https://www.miniand.com/wiki/Picuntu+Li ... very+image

It's as simple as that. You should now boot to Android when you reboot normally and boot to Picuntu when you reboot to recovery.
Hope this helps
tecknight

Postby vlasten » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks for the posts.
I tried completelly erase the device and flash everything again according the description. I did not forget the NAND erasing. To be sure - I downladed finless rom again and flashed this new copy (for imito x1 that is compatible with my IIIS device)to prevent any mistake. However, dual boot is not working. After first Linux boot only linux is booting.

I thing problem is somewhere in boot preference. Using different recovery image I tried that when re-booting to recovery every following boot is to recovery untill I use the "Reboot system now". And PIcuntu has no similar possibility. So, every following reboot is to recovery.

I will try to use Picuntu with other than finless rom on weekend. Maybe it will work.
vlasten

Postby vargalex » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:38 am

Hi!

I have a same issue on my MK808B. Have you any other solution (reflash recovery partition works).

vargalex
vargalex

Postby fly001 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:23 am

vargalex wrote:Hi!

I have a same issue on my MK808B. Have you any other solution (reflash recovery partition works).

vargalex

just boot to 'bootload' not 'recovery',double boot ok
fly001

Return to Picuntu Linux for MK802III(S)