Re: Upgrading/Updating the MK802 IV Firmware [tutorial]

Forum to discuss the new Quad Core Rikomagic MK802 IV Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: Upgrading/Updating the MK802 IV Firmware [tutorial]

Postby twjordo » Sat May 25, 2013 12:08 am

ok... I will now try to make a tutorial for you written a bit better but it will not have any nice pictures or anything like that because I am doing it from memory so it is also not going to be 100% accurate but oh well - here goes :lol:

one important thing to mention is that you must go to settings/usb on the device and tic on "connect to pc" before connecting

here are the mirror links to the firmware viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4610&p=13439#p13427

download the tool and driver from here http://www.mediafire.com/download/umxi2 ... r+v+1.7.7z I have converted it to English :ugeek:
it is 7zipped so you will need to extract the downloaded file and it will contain 2 folders = 1 "tool" and 1 "driver"

first thing to do is to connect your device to your computer and let it try to install the drivers but it should and will most likely fail - this is normal

leave the device connected and then if you have a win7 pc go to start/control panel/system/system device manager and note any yellow ! and click on them and select "update driver" - then you need to select "browse my computer for driver software" then navigate to the location that you saved the extracted driver folder to and select it... this should fix the driver issue and this will allow for the tool to recognize your device

once you have the driver issue sorted then go to the "tool" folder and select the "rkbatch tool application" and grant it permission to make changes to your computer then in the top window called "FW Path" on the right side of it you see "..." - click it and navigate to where you saved the new firmware update and select the firmware - then you should see the location of the firmware in that top window

next - click "upgrade" and it should begin the flashing process... you should see progress of flashing in the large middle window of the tool and when it completes it should say finished... simply unplug from your computer and connect to tv and power on and enjoy the update

again only some of this info is 100% accurate and use it with caution but this is same process for other rockchip devices and until I upgrade my own device I can not guarantee this process for the mk802IV

my operating system is 64bit win7 pc and the hardest part of the whole process in the past for me was getting the drivers to properly initialize/install....hopefully this tutorial is simple enough for those that are brand new to android and if I think of anything else to simplify the process I will surely try to edit and include3 it here for all

Good Luck !!!!
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Re: Upgrading/Updating the MK802 IV Firmware [Basic Tutorial

Postby Argon0 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:00 am

TVM TechKnow - I will try this later on today, pretty sure it'll work...

Thanks for the work - and thanks for translating the tool!

1 question (and I can probably work this out) - how do you connect it to your PC - via USB, of course, but which port on the 802 do you use? And I take it the 802 has to be powered on before connecting to PC? (well it must be to set the USB settings for connection...)..

I will take some screenshots as I do this, (from both 802 and PC) and add them back here later on...
Argon0

Postby baraata » Sat May 25, 2013 10:06 am

The original batchtool isalso in english first you start and it is in chinese.
Now go to the left down button click on it and choose the second option.
Now it is in english.

Greetz
baraata

Postby twjordo » Sat May 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Argon0 wrote:TVM TechKnow - I will try this later on today, pretty sure it'll work...

Thanks for the work - and thanks for translating the tool!

1 question (and I can probably work this out) - how do you connect it to your PC - via USB, of course, but which port on the 802 do you use? And I take it the 802 has to be powered on before connecting to PC? (well it must be to set the USB settings for connection...)..

I will take some screenshots as I do this, (from both 802 and PC) and add them back here later on...

you connect the device to your tv then enable the pc via usb selection in settings then disconnect from tv and connect to pc via otg port

your computer will power the device when it is connected to it.... btw- I am twjordo and YW - Tuesday or Wednesday I will have confirmed driver install and the tutorial and I will mod it as needed to be 100% accurate

baraata wrote:The original batchtool isalso in english first you start and it is in chinese.
Now go to the left down button click on it and choose the second option.
Now it is in english.

Greetz

thanks! I simplified the process by upping the tool pre-configured in English for the ease of others that are new to mk802 and its tools... thanks for your insight ;)
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby 3rdeyepro » Sat May 25, 2013 6:03 pm

For anyone else that might have the same issue... when I first plugged in the 802 IV to my PC (win7x64) - Windows automatically installed some drivers. However, the upgrade wouldn't work.

I then figured out if you click the "Switch" button in the batch tool, it did something to switch the connection to the pc. When this happened, Windows couldn't find a driver (a good thing). I was able to install the proper drivers and upgrade it.
3rdeyepro

Postby twjordo » Sat May 25, 2013 6:19 pm

3rdeyepro wrote:For anyone else that might have the same issue... when I first plugged in the 802 IV to my PC (win7x64) - Windows automatically installed some drivers. However, the upgrade wouldn't work.

I then figured out if you click the "Switch" button in the batch tool, it did something to switch the connection to the pc. When this happened, Windows couldn't find a driver (a good thing). I was able to install the proper drivers and upgrade it.

awesome!!!! thanks for your excellent feedback!!! :ugeek:
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Re: Upgrading/Updating the MK802 IV Firmware [Guidance neede

Postby dros_d » Sat May 25, 2013 8:53 pm

twjordo wrote: it is 7zipped so you will need to extract the downloaded file and it will contain 2 folders = 1 "tool" and 1 "driver"

i think you can not unzip 7zip files with the windows zip util. is this true?
would it not be better to use the windows zip, and save having to explain to new users that whole process.
dros_d

Postby twjordo » Sat May 25, 2013 10:16 pm

.7z are simply compressed files and they can be extracted or decompressed with many utuilities including winzip :ugeek:
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby dros_d » Sat May 25, 2013 11:04 pm

thankyou for all your help :)
but you can not open 7z files with explorer. you must install 7zip.
which adds another layer of complexity for new users.
why not just use windows explorer to zip your files
or set your 7zip to save as .zip format instead of 7z?
dros_d

Postby twjordo » Sun May 26, 2013 12:17 am

dros_d wrote:thankyou for all your help :)
but you can not open 7z files with explorer. you must install 7zip.
which adds another layer of complexity for new users.
why not just use windows explorer to zip your files
or set your 7zip to save as .zip format instead of 7z?

I did not say you could with explorer... the compression of 7zip is much better and customizable and if members want to use my files they will either have to use winzip or 7zip or other compatible software to extract my compressed files... sorry but I am not changing my process

please help the forum stay neat and on topic :ugeek: Thanks!

here is a description for those that do not know 7zip
http://www.7-zip.org/
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 IV Quad Core Forum