Picuntu home://io for MK802III + MK802IIIS

Forum to discuss the dual core MK802III LE Mini ARM Linux PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: Picuntu home://io for MK802III + MK802IIIS

Postby commsbiff » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi all. I know this thread is getting reasonably old now and it's been a while since people have posted, but I am utterly confused :?: I have spent many hours searching through several forums and cannot find my solution.

I have a Mk802IIIS (8GB with Bluetooth) and I have followed steps 1 and 2 in the first post of this topic. I read the 'readme' file and I used a windows laptop to flash my device and write the image file to my sd. Without any other input from me, my device loads straight into the picuntu login screen (which I'm happy about). Logging in goes smoothly, I have managed to get sound to work and I have tested the included video file - Big Buck Bunny.

Now, before installing picuntu, I had read this thread and I purchased a Realtek 8188 so that I could use wifi. However, I seem to be trapped where several others also seem to be trapped - I can't get it to recognise it. On loading 'network connections' I get a blank 'adapters' field. I have read about a possible solution, delete a file called '70persistentrules', hoping that it will be recreated on next boot - it isn't and didn't help. I have confirmed that the 8188eu.ko module is in the config file, but when I call up running modules in the terminal, it is not shown.

Also, when I insert either one of my two usb memory sticks, I get a warning that there is no application to deal with such a file?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

PS. Is this still a valid route to pursue? Is there a more proven method of getting linux with hardware acceleration on this device?
commsbiff

Postby Government » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:45 pm

And now I'm up and running on the MK802IIIs, I want to say my thanks before I get to fixing the wifi issue. Ndiswrapper seems to be the most logical place to start, patch then repair correctly. 8-)

You all put a LOT of work into this, and I'm staring at the results. Simply brilliant!

Things that I did differently this time. I used only Linux (peppermintOS4) and I think I cheated a little and used Gparted from puppy linux on a different machine, just to prepare the SD card. RKflashkit GUI, most recent version (does not give version # sorry), was the winner for me, I stayed with the complete package listed at step one (do not substitute anything yet) just get it done right once, then you can tweak if you are unsatisfied. The only thing I really did differently than the last time, besides exercise a little patience, was I backedup then erased the partitions, immediately followed by flashing the ones in the instructions. So, Backup, Erase, Flash. And I think it is important to note that you should not just start yanking wires out (thinking it's done), until you have clicked the little "Reboot Device" button. It will say done, then it's done... I checked everything mounted to make sure it was not showing.

plugged back into my dev board (controller card and 7inch test screen) and it showed stuff happening, then hung up with a blinky cursor (7inch screen is too small for font) so I guessed it was saying something like (do something user-man) so I noticed the SD card was not in the slot, put that in and ctrl-alt-del, bingo!. I now can find out if two separate devices can share one task, and fix wifi for me and you.

Thanks again. From the Shade-tree Linux team.
Government

Postby Government » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:34 pm

Wi-fi has already been repaired, at the following discussion on Github by a few folks, and a really concerted effort. https://github.com/aloksinha2001/picunt ... k/issues/2

However, I refuse to use the above "fix" until I try my fix first. lol Let's see if Lin-tard can newbie his way beyond all these actually skilled people. :D
Government

Postby commsbiff » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:49 am

Government wrote:Wi-fi has already been repaired, at the following discussion on Github by a few folks, and a really concerted effort. https://github.com/aloksinha2001/picunt ... k/issues/2

OMG - my brain hurts! :?: I look forward with great anticipation to your guide for dumbkopf - I love colouring in!
commsbiff

Postby nizar_g » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 am

Government wrote:Wi-fi has already been repaired, at the following discussion on Github by a few folks, and a really concerted effort. https://github.com/aloksinha2001/picunt ... k/issues/2

However, I refuse to use the above "fix" until I try my fix first. lol Let's see if Lin-tard can newbie his way beyond all these actually skilled people. :D

I managed to wade through the talk that was (initially) waaay over my head, but after learning a lot, I managed to get the wifi drivers for my 802IIIs up and running (yay!)

unfortunately, after flashing the new kernel that the fix required, it actually broke XBMC.... and now i'm stuck with a functional linux with WiFi, but no XBMC =/

could the devs of this awesome build work on releasing an updated/new version of home://io for the MK802IIIs? this way you guys can can properly install the drivers so an amateur like myself doesnt break anything else again? :D

otherwise this is awesome! great work everyone involved!
nizar_g

Postby Bazoozoo » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Bad image. Above for 512 sectors than 16Gb sd card capacity.
Bazoozoo

Postby Bazoozoo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:18 am

And now, when i bought 32G Transcend UHS-I microSD, it works.... but..... Wifi is not working..... MK802III not "S" version....
Bazoozoo

Postby Bazoozoo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:41 am

wi-fi problem solved:

The port for the Wireless is "wlan1"
So in /etc/network/interfaces you need

auto wlan1
iface wlan1 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid your SSID
wpa-psk yourPassword

Thank you, atemunro
Bazoozoo

Postby kkrajnik » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:50 pm

So, is there a place where both picuntu kernel and sd image for 802 IIIs (wifi working version) can be downloaded?
kkrajnik

Postby bzsolt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Many thanks for this!!!! I spent approx. 4 days trying to get all kinds of recovery images on my MK802III and tried all kinds of linuxroots but no luck. But with this one, just a ROM flashing and an image writing... And wifi works instantly. I couldn't believe. WOW! Awesome!
But nothing is good enough! :) Any ideas anyone how do I get my Davicom Semiconductior DM9601 fast ethernet (Usb) adapter working?
TIA!
bzsolt

PreviousNext

Return to Cloudsto MK802III LE Linux Mini PC