Unbricking Cloudsto EVO

Forum to discuss the quad core MK902 Android PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Unbricking Cloudsto EVO

Postby niftyprose » Mon May 25, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi guys, I've bricked a Cloudsto EVO -- the 902 variant with a VGA port. I'm guessing that the 'shorting the pins' approach used for other machines from Rikomagic is the way to go, but I don't want to short the wrong pins. Is it the same as the 902? If not, can anyone tell me how to identify the pins? Best, W.
niftyprose

Re: Unbricking Cloudsto EVO

Postby andykirby » Sat May 30, 2015 8:33 am

How did you brick it? It should still be recognised by the PC, you need to use the slave USB port which is the one nearest the audio jacks, also you need the power supply plugged in and you have to hold the recovery button and press the power button. Then the PC should recognise it.

I'll post the link to the firmware shortly as I don't have it on my phone at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby niftyprose » Sat May 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Thanks, Andy. I look forward to the firmware upload! I had assumed that the slave port was the one to the left of the panel, not the one adjacent to audio jacks, so I will experiment with your fix shortly.

In answer to your question"How did you brick it?": the computer was bought for WP duties in a solar-powered writing shed. TheUbuntu variant with which the EVO ships seems to behave rather oddly, and it wasn't possible to load LibreOffice in place of the default AbiWriter. I bricked the device trying to sort out the LibreOffice dependencies with various backports. Incidentally, I realize that most users will be pleased and excited to have a working internet-enabled computer that is smaller than a paperback book, but I think it's worth mentioning that the device seems to have problems with common software -- and also that the small user base means some slightly chilly forum experiences. Thanks again for stepping in.

Best, W.
niftyprose

Postby andykirby » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:57 am

Hi there,

Its strange you have had some funny experiences, it runs Ubuntu 12.04 so you should be able to install lire office ok.. I'll have to take a look... you did remember to run sudo apt-get update before installing anything did you? as with all of these devices the firmware is a few months old and does need updating when connecting to the internet for the first time.... the ubuntu ecosystem does change pretty quickly these days.

anyway the firmware is found here:

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/downloads/firmware/Cloudsto_EVO_recovery_230315.zip

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andy
andykirby
Site Admin

Return to Rikomagic MK902 Android PC Forum