Cannot install any apps on or reset Mk802

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Cannot install any apps on or reset Mk802

Postby mistermentality » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:35 am

I really want to like this so I hope someone can help but so far this is turning into the worst thing I've bought.

Long story short, I tried installing busybox from play store (both versions but the most popular first). They never worked.

Switched it on this morning to try my new mouse and keyboard on it and it had fully reset itself so no apps or account were on it and when I try to download anything I cannot because market won't update and nothing downloads to an "insufficient space" error despite not having any sd card in the card slot and despite the internal one being completely empty (shows as 2 gb free which it was it did when it was first used and working properly at the time).

Factory reset just results in same problem, so is this faulty meaning I have to return it to where I bought it from or is the firmware really this bad because I wanted to write about this for my blog and as it stands if I do it's going to be a negative review and yet when it worked, for a few times, I actually enjoyed it. I'm hoping I don't have to start flashing roms to make it work properly because I prefer not to mess with things like flashing hardware but if I do can anyone guide me on the process as last time I did so was with an old GT540 phone.

Thanks.

Dave
mistermentality

Re: Cannot install any apps on or reset Mk802

Postby twjordo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:32 pm

i would try a sd card in the device and try once more to flash the firmware... it will go back to chinese text but can be changed by navigating the settings menu... this is the firmware i use for restoring my device http://www.4shared.com/archive/TLzMhaXQ ... 03img.html

this might not be the newest firmware and i hope Andy will check this to see if it is but it does work for restoring my device

the process is like this...

1) download livesuit and the firmware then extract the firmware with 7zip or p7zip

2) install livesuit and then connect your device to your cp... to install the drivers go to device manager and locate (!) icons and click them and select update driver from list...navigate to the livesuit folder and select usbdrivers...it should update/install drivers

3) disconnect device from your cp and open livesuit then select the downloaded .img file to put in livesuit

4) insert a paperclip into the reset hole on the device and while pressing reset button connect the device to your cp then release the reset button...flashing should start
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby mistermentality » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:15 pm

twjordo wrote:i would try a sd card in the device and try once more to flash the firmware... it will go back to chinese text but can be changed by navigating the settings menu... this is the firmware i use for restoring my device http://www.4shared.com/archive/TLzMhaXQ ... 03img.html

this might not be the newest firmware and i hope Andy will check this to see if it is but it does work for restoring my device

the process is like this...

1) download livesuit and the firmware then extract the firmware with 7zip or p7zip

2) install livesuit and then connect your device to your cp... to install the drivers go to device manager and locate (!) icons and click them and select update driver from list...navigate to the livesuit folder and select usbdrivers...it should update/install drivers

3) disconnect device from your cp and open livesuit then select the downloaded .img file to put in livesuit

4) insert a paperclip into the reset hole on the device and while pressing reset button connect the device to your cp then release the reset button...flashing should start

Thank you :D

I was able to install with the 64 bit livesuit using an image I had downloaded from a depositfiles link but now I have a couple of follow up questions if you can advise?

1. During the firmware update I was asked if I wanted to format, I chose no and when booted up and still in Chinese I could see my previously installed apps such as Titanium Backup and BusyBox but when changed language to English these disappeared. If I had chosen format option, then updated, would this have been a safe option or does what I did mean that my previous apps are still on there (which would explain why I saw their icons) but no longer usable?

2. Is there a way to back up the currently installed apps and settings, etc, of the MK802 once I have it set up how I want it so that I can restore from that backed up image in future if I need to?

3. I still cannot seem to update busybox, is there a particular way to do this? I read somewhere that you cannot overwrite the system/bin installed version on MK802 so I have also tried using BusyBox Installer (from Play store) and it is still unfortunately not installing.

Thank you, and this forum, for the help. It's reassuring to be able to get help from more experienced MK802 people when things don't go according to plan.

Edit: For some reason Play store now says Titanium Backup Root is not compatible yet I installed it before. Is that normal?

Dave
mistermentality

Postby twjordo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:28 pm

1) if you had chosen to format then the system would have been in out-of-box condition with just the apps in that version of firmware and the language would be chinese

2) move the apps you want to keep to the sd and use an app to backup the apps to sd...then put sd in cp and copy it to your cp hd ...this is one way of doing a backup

3) i have not experienced this issue with busybox but i always try to use the smart install method...maybe someone smarter than i am can assist you with this issue

re: edit --- you might want to clear the market cache and try it again...the process is quite simple... open market then use the home icon to go back to homescreen (this leaves market running) then go to settings/apps and locate market app and clear cache then force stop...then locate google services framework and clear data and force stop...then open marke again and it should give you an error ...reboot and then open market (might take a minute for it has to re-build data) and see if the app is compatible
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:29 pm

mistermentality wrote:...
1. During the firmware update I was asked if I wanted to format, I chose no and when booted up and still in Chinese I could see my previously installed apps such as Titanium Backup and BusyBox but when changed language to English these disappeared. If I had chosen format option, then updated, would this have been a safe option or does what I did mean that my previous apps are still on there (which would explain why I saw their icons) but no longer usable?

The so-called safe option is to not format, because then it is supposed to leave your stuff alone. But if safety is in the context of "my system is screwed up already and just reloading some things is insufficient" then reformatting is the safer. Both independent of whether or not backing up. So, to rephrase, the reformat will effectively wipe everything and bring you back to something similar to when you bought it. The non-reformatting update will just re-update the core system.

As to apps disappearing, it might be too late now, but if you change back to Chinese would they reappear?
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby herizor » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:57 am

hello all
i also got the same problem after installing busybox. Can't install any app and the unit just say "full memory".
i'll try to flash it again but the link inside the support forum doesn't work. Anyone know some other who is up?
Thanks in advance.
Bye
herizor

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum