Slow wifi for no apparent reason.

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: Slow wifi for no apparent reason.

Postby twjordo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 pm

cable to belkin n150 wifi router.... did not test cp but it is a little faster than the mk802 for loading webpgs ....have an i3 intel in one and i have a t4400 in another

you are correct logic does seem to point at the mk802
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby baronpork » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:02 pm

Well, as i've been saying, the weirdest thing happens when speedtest.net is doing UPLOADING test - my both mice (my main pc and 802) start getting jerky. And i mean the moment the upload starts. Which means somehow 802 is transmitting beyond assigned wifi frequencies, effectively jamming my wireless mice...
How is this even possible ?

Here's the method i used:
1. Start speedtest.net benchmark on 802 let download pass;
2. as DL finishes run speedtest.net DOWNLOAD on any other device (tried on SGS, SGS2 and Tab7), time so that DL is on as UL on 802 is starting;
3. Watch ALL DEVICES DL speed die doornail dead as soon as UL starts on 802... Aaaand also watch your mouse lag and jump erratically.
4. As soon as UL on 802 is done every device is back to normal.

I just cant wrap my head around this.

At one point i thought maybe, just maybe woreless mice interfere with wifi, but upon eliminating that factor by pulling batteries and receivers it appears that its other way around...

Go figure...

My wireless devices bench at about 6-8mbps. Router reports llu sync at 8.5mbps...
baronpork

Postby twjordo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:19 pm

that is most weird...maybe the mk802 is posessed or somthing ....most weird mate
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby baronpork » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:15 am

Broken antenna ?
I just cant find any other instances of this hapenning...
baronpork

Postby twjordo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 am

that is possible but it should not interfere with other devices and the antennea is a simple wire soldered to the wifi module and attached by glue to the plastic housing... it should not make your mouse \"jump\" on your other devices or boot them from the wifi server
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:36 am

baronpork wrote:Well, as i've been saying, the weirdest thing happens when speedtest.net is doing UPLOADING test - my both mice (my main pc and 802) start getting jerky. And i mean the moment the upload starts. Which means somehow 802 is transmitting beyond assigned wifi frequencies, effectively jamming my wireless mice...
How is this even possible ?

I know of cases where the 802 is jamming routers including traffic not from the 802. But this seems a total freak out :(
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby oren_a » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:45 am

I have the same problem!!!
I have 2 routers, When I use the old 802.11g/b one it works kind of ok, But I only get max 800kbps.
When I use the other 802.11n one the wifi is very unstable and dead after few munets..

I also have the problem that when I do a upload test in speedtest my other devices in the room are dead...

Have you tried installing linux on it... Maybe it's something in the software.

You think I should return the device. ?
oren_a

Postby classicase » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:39 pm

I've just returned my MK802. The device worked fine when I tested it at work with a fan running over it. When I tried it with no fan, the wifi begins to cut in and out. I've tried it with a cheap G linksys router, and an expensive one with the same results. It may seem like a cable interference issue, but I'm pretty sure that's the heat issue again. You'll notice that the device heats up when outputting an HDMI signal right around the port. I'm not sure if it's the GPU or some HDMI circuitry, but it's definitely not ready to be fanless. As soon as I updated the firmware and enabled 1080P, the issue became worse (GPU?). I even started experiencing the screen blanking which I hadn't experienced before, It's probably also a heat issue with the higher resolution.
I'm going to wait for an upgraded design before jumping in again. It definitely shows promise, but it's not ready yet.
classicase

Postby baronpork » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:57 pm

I do get occasional blanking too. Also i noticed that unless i plug in hdmi cable the device doesnt become hot.
Just now this gave me an idea for a test. I need to run CPU/RAM stress test while unplugged. Test will show if the system heats up while not displaying via HDMI. Which inturn will point overheat problem in GPU direction...
It definitely doesnt heat up while running live wallpaper (water with leaves), unless i plug it in...

I have put in a request for return/refund, now have to ship it back to bloody hongkong.. This will cost money (not sure how much yet) and will take forever.

Also, i think i may just wait and see what happens with CottonCandy and 802 mark II in the nearest future...

And this whole situation only reinforces my negative feelings about adopting technology early... Thats why i dont usually buy into trends...
baronpork

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:55 pm

baronpork wrote:And this whole situation only reinforces my negative feelings about adopting technology early... Thats why i dont usually buy into trends...

Maybe, maybe not. If gotten enough "new" stuff that remains fine for years, and enough "true and tried" stuff that DOA, lemons, etc, and everything in between. Not saying you didn't get a bad unit, and not saying this device is perfect, just saying don't abandon it wholesale. But of course if isn't not doing what you need it for, that's not helpful. Anyway, yes, let's see what happens with II as that definitely does give a chance for certain things to be fixed and hopefully nothing currently working broken.
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum