Root?

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Root?

Postby Zaatour36 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38 am

Hi all :)

Anyone got any idea how to Root the MK802?

Cuz it will open a lot of possibilites for us users and open many system app to have them functional in the device.

any help is very welcome and greatly appreciated :D

Zaatour36
Zaatour36

Re: Root?

Postby Zaatour36 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 am

Sorry guys, I was jut looking at Lilputing.com, and found out that the device is already pre-rooted!

http://liliputing.com/2012/06/74-mk802- ... video.html

"For those content with Android… but looking for a little more control over the operating system, you may be pleased to know that the Android 4.0 Mini PC appears to be pre-rooted. Titanium Backup and other apps that require root access run without any modifications to the computer.

I hope everything runs well!

Zaatour36
Zaatour36

Postby swedski » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:31 pm

HELLO
Mine isn't rooted. I can't change permissions and cant save to Extsd card. I have tried everything listed in these forums (I think) and yet I am still locked out of my extsd card.
swedski

Postby frog » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi swedski,
as long as you have the Allwinner A10 CPU here's what you do.

1. Download and install the Superuser app from Google Play.
2. Open the Superuser app and click on the "i" button, which is positioned on the upper right corner of the screen.
3. On the screen that shall follow, under "SU BINARY" click on "tap to get updates".
4. A new screen will prompt you to download the updates (requires an internet connection). Do that till it's successfull. If it fails a couple of times in the beginning don't give up. It will eventually work.

Then you are officially rooted. :)

Now, about you being unable to save/modify the sdcards i think it's an android issue. I had it on my tablet, not on the MK802 which i purchased later but anyway, here's what i did and worked for me. (copy pasting from here)

-Use a root explorer to edit /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

-Find this section Code:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
</permission>

-Add this Code:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

-Save and reboot

This process not needs root. I use 2 different file manager. You can find in google play store
1- For opening "platform.xml" use Solid Explorer
2- For editing "platform.xml" use File Explorer HD donot use solid explorers text manager

If any problem appears end of this process, try to reset factory reset.

What i would suggest is, after having successfully rooted your mk802, i install the free app ES FILE EXPLORER, then mount the system as writable (it's under advanced settings or something i believe) then go to system/etc/permissions/platform.xml, open it with a text editor, perform the changes as stated above and that should do the trick.

Hope that'll help you.
frog

Postby andruidist » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 pm

>3. On the screen that shall follow, under "SU BINARY" click on "tap to get updates"

There is no such thing on this screen. They have only 'Get elite" now.

Any other suggestion how MK802 can be rooted when it is not rooted?
Desperately need it. I can't write to external USB or even external SD card.
andruidist

Postby andruidist » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 am

Just bought recent MK802 (but not II or III or any other +) and it has image 20121009.
No root access whatsoever. I really need it for only one reason - I need to write to USB or external SD card and both are read only as well as platform.xml
Any suggestions what I should do to be able to write to my external storage?
andruidist

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum