Linux for MK802III

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Linux for MK802III

Postby andykirby » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:43 am

Guys,

I am happy to announce we are now working on a port of Ubuntu Linux 12.10 for the MK802III.

We are extremely lucky to have the very talented AndrewDB working on this and all developments will be posted here, as and when they happen. This is very exciting as we have already determined that the SOC used in the MK802III (the Rockchip RK3066) is an extremely powerful processor and it is much more suited to run a full desktop version of Ubuntu than the Allwinner A10.

I have copied AndrewDB's earlier post below:

Cheers,

Andy

Hi everybody,
I am the developer of Ubuntu Linux on the RK3066. I was contacted by Andy Kirby and he is kindly sending me a sample of the MK 802 III for development work. I expect to have an Alpha version of Ubuntu Linux 12.10 Quantal running on it in a few days and I'll publish a dual boot Android / Ubuntu Linux ROM as soon as possible (yes it's possible to dual boot Android and Linux on the RK3066).
Andy also sent me the kernel source for the RK3066. I had previously been working on a leaked version of the RK3066 kernel source (the "Edison" kernel) that was based on earlier code from Rockchip.

Based on my work on the kernel, I can already explain some of the issues users have encountered with the RK3066 devices:

Some TVs not supported / blank screen: this is due to poor coding of the EDID detection code in the HDMI driver in the RK3066 kernel. As soon as possible I am going to work on this.

1080p not fully supported / screen stretching issues: this is due to incorrect memory allocation and incorrect scaling parameters in the HDMI code. This I have already solved. The RK3066 is perfectly capable of full HD resolution (1080p) for normal Android/Linux use and movie playback.

Wifi issues (apart from antenna issues): the RTL8188 chip used in the MK802 III has many different options that can be set when the driver is loaded at runtime and these affect the stability of the wifi connections and the speed. There is work to be done to find the perfect combination of parameters.

Heat vs. max speed issues: the RK3066 has both clock and voltage scaling capabilities and the kernel has various cpufreq governors available, each one with parameters that can be changed to obtain the best results i.e. the best compromise between speed and heat. Again here some work is required but the code is there.
andykirby
Site Admin

Re: Linux for MK802III

Postby senten » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 pm

I've been following AndrewDB's work and updates on the armtvtech forum (MK808 development forum).

He really seems to be on the ball and the updates he posts on his work are excellent.

Thanks for helping him out with kernel sources, I'm sure that there's exciting stuff ahead for the full range of RK3066 devices.
senten

Postby Patola » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:12 pm

That's very exciting. Looking forward to building a "server farm" with a few MK802-III's. :-) Already have two CuBoxes and Ubuntu Nexus7, gotta try my .debs in it.
I am still waiting for my UG802 to arrive here in Brazil, but since it's got the same SoC, I think it will work.
Patola

Postby ARMan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Patola wrote:That's very exciting. Looking forward to building a "server farm" with a few MK802-III's. :-) Already have two CuBoxes and Ubuntu Nexus7, gotta try my .debs in it.
I am still waiting for my UG802 to arrive here in Brazil, but since it's got the same SoC, I think it will work.

Hi Patola, slightly off topic I know, but how much do you pay in taxes in Brazil to bring in a mini PC like the UG802 and does it get held up in customs often when you bring in electronics from abroad to Brazil?
ARMan

Postby OwL » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:59 pm

AndrewDB has now posted his first release: Pre-Alpha 0.1 ...

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/41453-p ... mk802-iii/

Take care following the instructions.
OwL

Postby AndrewDB » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:26 am

Hi everybody,
Sorry for the lack of updates (including my updates to Andy!). I have been working very hard to release the pre-Alpha version of Ubuntu Linux for the MK802 III and I am pleased to say that... it's working! :)
I have just released pre-Alpha 0.2 in fact, and this one is much easier to install as you can just copy the Ubuntu root filesystem to a USB key and boot from that (still requires flashing the kernel to NAND, a step that some may find challenging). These pre-Alpha releases are not at all what I consider ready for general consumption, they are really intended for developers to test and possibly break, so we get to know what the main bugs are.
I am still going to work hard and fast on pre-Alpha 0.3 and then I am going to take some time to release a very simple to install Alpha 0.4, on my way to the Beta series of releases that will be geared to the general public.
Again I want to use the opportunity to thank Andy for his support of this development effort and for having provided the "Riko" kernel sources.
Cheers,
Andrew
AndrewDB

Postby andykirby » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Andrew, thats absolutely no problem at all my friend. We all really appreciate the work you have been doing on this THANK YOU! its been fantastic to see this take shape over the last few weeks and its fantastic that Linux is now possible on the MK802III. We look forward to beta and further developments of Linux for RK3066.

BTW I still havent had the chance to test this myself but as soon as I do I will post the results here.

It might be a good idea to post your installation instructions here as a new topic if you dont mind. Just to save users flying between forums :) we obviously dont expect you to operate a 24/7 support service either! Im sure you need some rest by now :D

Thanks Again!

Andy
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby jason1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:28 am

Its the exciting news,hoping for the new version,thank u 4 your great effort.
jason1

Postby tillbaks » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Anyone able to flash with RKAndroidTool? Mine just says "No Found RKAndroid rock usb". ADB can't see the device either but if I use adb.exe from "SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse Modded" - I can see my device (adb.exe devices).
tillbaks

Postby adam2508 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:18 am

Where can I download RKAndroidTool v1.35?
i cant find it

thanks guys
adam2508

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum