Rikomagic ARM Smartbook Project - Allwinner A10 Powered

The place to discuss computers with ARM processors including A10 Laptops and the new Google Chrome Book

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Rikomagic ARM Smartbook Project - Allwinner A10 Powered

Postby andykirby » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share with you what we've been up to lately ;)

This is our ARM netbook project. It's an Allwinner A10 Powered netbook with 1GB RAM.

The device runs Android 4.0 out of the box but here's the interesting bit, we've already ported Ubuntu to it!

We are working closely with the manufacturer to iron out some minor issues and full specs will follow but heres an initial breakdown:

System
Allwinner A10 running at 1Ghz
1GB Ram
Android 4.0 from internal 4/8GB NAND
Ubuntu 12.04 from SD card
1024 x 600 Display

Interface
Full size SD card slot
3 x Standard USB Ports
1 x Ethernet
Audio Input
Audio Output
Built in Microhone
Built in Stereo Speakers
1MP Camera

Being an Allwinner A10 powered device we fell this is a really interesting product and we will be looking to sell this via the Cloudsto store once we have ironed out some minor issues and optimised the software.

It would be nice to hear everyones thoughts on this and if any devs are interested in the Linux side of things we would love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Andy
andykirby
Site Admin

Re: Rikomagic ARM Smartbook Project - Allwinner A10 Powered

Postby Sebz4n » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:23 pm

Very interesting, what will the pricepoint be?
Sebz4n

Postby sou » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Looks interesting! Suggestions:

* no glossy lids! :-)

* please get rid of the window key (!) and make the space bar longer (I assume it's not a full-size keyboard?)

* please put in a VGA port -- I am willing to trade a usb port for that.
Many of my colleagues and I have thought about using ARM netbooks for work, but we absolutely need to show slides using VGA projectors (we actually did an unscientific survey: Of the last 23 presentations we gave, only one of them were in facility that supports hdmi !)

* heat management? I've read many posts that A10 overheats under load (a good heatsink seems to solve the problem...)

* does it have a better wifi antenna/chip then the one in mk802? The antenna of the latter is limited by the size of the device; on a netbook there should be room for a bigger (?) one.

Greedy requests -- probably too late for this product, but might be something to try for future iterations:

* bigger trackpad? -- by the way, is the current one multitouch? Just pinch-to-zoom would be useful

* bigger screen -- there is enough bezel for a 12in screen and that would be a HUGH improvement in terms of work usage

By the way, my colleagues and I would be *very* interested in a light-weight ubuntu version of this, in some kind of dual-boot format. We don't need 720p video in ubuntu, but some level of graphics acceleration would be needed.

THANKS!
sou

Postby MysticWhiteDragon » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:46 pm

That's awesome!

I know it's a stretch, but why not somewhat mimic the Motrola Atrix Lapdock? Instead of having the phone dock, you might be able to make it slide in/out. Maybe a connection sort of like a PCI card in a PC. This would allow for the device to be upgradable via a new board or such without having to purchase a new device. Also, I think think that a 1366 x 768 resolution on a 11.1"+ screen would be more appealing than that smaller screen. Everyone wants an ultra book and with everyone using the Motorola Atrix Lapdock, it shows that everyone wants something similar to that. OK, I know that adds to the cost, but I would gladly pay an extra $50 (I'm in the USA) to be able to just plug in a new card than buy a new device in a year or two.

I bought the Motorola Atrix Lapdock just because it is a keyboard/trackpad and HDMI monitor. This allows me to connect to a newer device it the future.
MysticWhiteDragon

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:51 pm

The unread bit seems to be stuck on this thread for me. ??

EDIT: Hmm, seems to have gone away by responding....
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby ARMguy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi there, it is my first post here.

Does Opera working on this ARM version of the Ubuntu?
ARMguy

Postby ARMguy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 pm

sou wrote:* bigger trackpad? -- by the way, is the current one multitouch? Just pinch-to-zoom would be useful

* bigger screen -- there is enough bezel for a 12in screen and that would be a HUGH improvement in terms of work usage

You got my vote. 12.1" or 11.6" screen would do nicely (resolution 1366 X 768).

And dual-core A9 or multi-core A5 plus LP RAM would surely make all of us more than happy.

P/S: Does the Allwinner A10 in this SmartBook come with any form of heat sink?
ARMguy

Postby ARMguy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 pm

sou wrote:* bigger trackpad? -- by the way, is the current one multitouch? Just pinch-to-zoom would be useful

You got my vote. 12.1" or 11.6" screen would do nicely (resolution 1366 X 768).

And dual-core A9 or multi-core A5 plus LP RAM would surely make all of us more than happy.

P/S: Does the Allwinner A10 in this SmartBook come with any form of heat sink?
ARMguy

Postby NeoStormer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:37 am

Looks great, but Bluetooth would make it better.

I realize I could plug it into a USB but that would be wasteful, Bluetooth is such a low cost chip I don't see why it's not standard in everything.

Would love to test this thing out.
Visit my Website: NeoStormer Robotics

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby NOD » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:01 pm

I would honestly prefer something along the line of the Motorola Atrix lapdock, except more flexible by design instead of only designed for one type of unit (Motorola phone in case of the lapdock), so it could be used along with a vast range of devices capable of outputting via HDMI, can be controlled with USB HID devices and can be powered by a stable 5volt line.
Would also reduce the electronic waste in the long run, since people won't bin the whole thing when it gets older, but only the device(s) hooked up to it, and perhaps the batteries when they're worn out.
Also a slot for a 2,5" S-ata hdd and built in S-ata to usb converter would be lovely, but that would probably jack up the price and reduce battery time.
Though built-in bluetooth is pretty much a must considering how cheap the hardware for it are nowadays.
And using a modular design for it so anyone who knows how to use a screwdriver can upgrade it in the future would be a great selling point, especially considering most people who buys the MK802's and similar are often people who aren't afraid of tinkering with it.
NOD

Next

Return to ARM Based Computers Forum