Shutdown app and widget

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Shutdown app and widget

Postby DaveJFT » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:56 am

Hi Folks

Turning off my MK802 by pulling the plug scares me and I've read reports of the system possibly corrupting through doing so.

Is there an app out there that will shut down Android gently and cleanly, as though by pressing the off button on your phone, simply by tapping on a widget and confirming?

All the apps I've looked into specialize in fast shutdowns (simply by issuing little more than a kill command in Android) and I have not found a single one that does what we really need and allows Android to close down processes and services, clear temp files before exiting cleanly and gently.

Does anyone know of one? Does anyone know anyone who would write one (it's beyond me)?

Cheers!

Dave
DaveJFT

Re: Shutdown app and widget

Postby twjordo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:28 am

this is not likely to work for as long as the device is getting power it will continue to be on... you could try an app such as "root tools v1.19" and select re-boot options from the menu then select "power down" and the device will attempt to power down but will remain on in a "frozen shut-down state" until you unplug the device... this may prevent data loss or corruption from happening but your guess is as good as mine for it is "straight-wired" when plugged into the charger.....actually the "re-boot" option does power it down and allows for enough time to unplug the device :D

on a side note "root tools" does have a built-in boot animation changer and a font changer for some unique customization along with some hackers tools , ad blocker , build.prop editor , many many more so it is somthing worth looking into for some fast easy tricks to implement on your device

confirmed solution for me...let me know if it works for you
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby DaveJFT » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:24 am

...but should it really be more difficult than on a phone? Afterall, a phone is permanently connected to its battery.
DaveJFT

Postby Lim Wee Huat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:43 am

Mine got corrupted once during one of the session, it bootlooped... In the end, I've got to flash the modded firmware (Droidmote) as recovery. Currently I've installed Fast Reboot Pro to kill all background apps, Screen off and lock (Katecca) to lock screen before unplugging...
Lim Wee Huat

Postby twjordo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:54 pm

DaveJFT wrote:...but should it really be more difficult than on a phone? Afterall, a phone is permanently connected to its battery.

you are not understanding the concept my friend... the phone has the shut-down feature built-in to it the mk802 does not have this feature and the mk802 also has a constant 100% charge as it is being plugged in to charger and not having to actually charge anything ...so yes it will be different from the phone process until mk802 has the shut-down feature integrated ;)
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby NeoStormer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:05 pm

I've been using the "Shutdown app by Ubicoo", it doesn't work in the normal sense of a shutdown but when you run it the mouse turns off and all the apps are closed, then it's safe to unplug, I've not had a corrupt boot since I started using it. Just look in the Android Marketplace (Google Play) for it.
Visit my Website: NeoStormer Robotics

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:41 pm

DaveJFT wrote:...but should it really be more difficult than on a phone? Afterall, a phone is permanently connected to its battery.

It's not just a software thing. And so, right now, it is difficult because there is no hardware cooperation so to speak. I've had a number of discussions with the manufacturer, and although I have not been pleased with their responses, I think they are listening, so we'll have to see how this turns out for both the short term (next "major" unit change) and the longer term.
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:43 pm

twjordo wrote:

you are not understanding the concept my friend... the phone has the shut-down feature built-in to it the mk802 does not have this feature and the mk802 also has a constant 100% charge as it is being plugged in to charger and not having to actually charge anything ...so yes it will be different from the phone process until mk802 has the shut-down feature integrated ;)

Yes and no. There's two issues. One is the OS/apps graceful shutdown. The other is the hardware entering a different state (on/off/halt/sleep/etc.).
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby twjordo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:47 pm

;) thanks for clearing that up Envy... we could use a thanks button or applaud feature here :idea:
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby mistermentality » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:39 pm

It's a shame Tasker doesn't work on the 802 as that could probably solve some problems by allowing us to unmount the sd then reboot or possibly shutdown the device. Does anyone have an idea what makes the Play store show Tasker as not compatible?

I have it on my phone and would love to use this on 802 as well.

Dave
mistermentality

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum