MK802 Notebook!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: MK802 Notebook!

Postby chipmonger » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:48 am

After making one of the lapdock cables for my Raspberry pi, I converted it to use for my MK802 by adding a micro usb to mini usb adapter. The original diagram I used was http://forums.bit-tech.net/picture.php?albumid=1910&pictureid=27215. You can replace the male micro usb to a male mini usb end.

I've also found that the MK802 can be powered through it's usb port without using the power plug or the mini usb port. I do this through the micro usb port on the lapdock, and it seems to work fine. Don't know what damage it might do though.
chipmonger

Postby chipmonger » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:49 am

BananaXX wrote:Yea I would really be interested in seeing some close up pics of how you did your setup. I ordered my Lapdock yesterday but will have to wait a month or so for the money for an MK802. I'm really interested in getting the MK802 into the actual Lapdock, is there much room to incorporate the 802 into the body of the dock?

No, no room in the body of the lapdock to hold the MK802.
chipmonger

Postby servili007 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:38 pm

I've had these lapdocks forever, and have been looking for good ways to turn them into small arm machines with insane battery life, so I'll share my experience with you guys.

The bionic lapdocks are supposedly exactly the same except for flipped ports, but in reality have had fewer manufacturing flaws in my experience.

if you use a proper usb micro female to mini male cable with 5 wires (not your standard 4, pin 4 must be connected), you can plug it into the mk802's power port and have the top usb port as a spare. If this doesnt work, you can short pin 4 to ground and it'll accomplish the same thing.
servili007

Postby trigger_ » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 am

@servili007: ok just to reconfirm, are you saying that if I use a 5-pin USB micro female (from the lapdock) to male mini usb port (on the MK802) ...

That this will power the MK802? Will doing this also hook up the keyboard, trackball and hub?

And leave the MK802 top usb port completely free?? Can you confirm that this works...

If this is true, does this mean I only have to buy a 5-pin USB micro to male mini USB? And I won't need to cut the red power wire?
trigger_

Postby andykirby » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:59 am

Interesting about the leads guys, I will have to try that. It would be nice to have just one lead that powers the MK802 and also connects the trackpad and keyboard.

I have just been playing around with UBOOT and the Linux images and we now have a 1080p lapdock!

Well the screen resolution of the lapdock is 1366 x 768 but it seems that if it gets a 1920 x 1080 HDMI signal it will scale the screen accordingly. Its pretty small but ive got very good eyes so I find it useable. :D

I plan on posting up a How-To shortly.

Now if we can just get this working under android.....

Cheers,

Andy
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby NeoStormer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:44 pm

It can be done with two cables, without splicing. You beat me to posting the MK802 Lapdock, I imagine we finished it at the same time.

I have access to a 3D printer, so I'll be building my MK802 into the the Lapdock itself.
Visit my Website: NeoStormer Robotics

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

Postby servili007 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:48 pm

NeoStormer wrote:I have access to a 3D printer, so I'll be building my MK802 into the the Lapdock itself.

Heh, I was hoping to do something similar, so, as a fellow LapDock enthusiast, would you mind printing up one for me as well once you perfect it?
servili007

Postby andykirby » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Nice work! Yours looks very neat. I'm loving this project!

Interested to hear how you get on mounting the MK802 inside the lapdock. The only place I can envisage it fitting at the moment is inside the dock hatch... I've had it apart and it looks like there's enough room in there but you might have to dremel away some stuff and use extremely low profile connectors.

Overall it's a great little machine, the hardware support will get better as the MK802 is extremely popular and has a massive following already. For this reaon I'd love to develop a proper netbook product that uses the MK802 logic board.

As well as Android I'm running Xubuntu on it at the moment and it's perfect. Apart from a niggle with audio that Im trying to sort out.
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby BananaXX » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:26 pm

NeoStormer wrote:It can be done with two cables, without splicing.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I would really like to see how you have your lapdock set up.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if its possible to modify the lapdock to have a male HDMI instead of micro HDMI?
BananaXX

Postby NeoStormer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah the plan is to replace the dock area completely, may use the rubber external shell for looks.

I'll be using the MK802's USB port for a small Bluetooth dongle.

I'm planning to see if I can run Chrome OS on it as while I love Android I have found it difficult at times to use it as a desktop OS.

I'll let you know how the 3D model goes, I'm still waiting on the machine to be fixed up with more material.

I'll trade ya a copy of my part for another MK802, lol.
Visit my Website: NeoStormer Robotics

Currently working on my Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering with Specialty in Mechatronics.
NeoStormer

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum