MK802 Notebook!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Re: MK802 Notebook!

Postby Mehhh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 pm

Soldering right now. :) I'm stealing your idea about soldering to the female full usb, but i was wondering if it supported OTGby linking 1 +2 with solder like the MiniUSB? I ripped mine out to do that as I wasn't going to use it and i need the space.

Yeh, cutting out some of the "top" part now of the mk802 case to fit as the bottom. I run Ubuntu and debian on it (trying to get a Bodhi Linux image on it from deb). It runs nicely, but Deb seems faster than Linaro / Ubuntu.
Mehhh

Postby joshuahandrich » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 am

Mehhh wrote:Soldering right now. :) I'm stealing your idea about soldering to the female full usb, but i was wondering if it supported OTGby linking 1 +2 with solder like the MiniUSB? I ripped mine out to do that as I wasn't going to use it and i need the space.

Yeh, cutting out some of the "top" part now of the mk802 case to fit as the bottom. I run Ubuntu and debian on it (trying to get a Bodhi Linux image on it from deb). It runs nicely, but Deb seems faster than Linaro / Ubuntu.

OTG is only possible on micro and mini usb connectors as they are 5 pin connectors, not 4 as USB A. Fortunately, as the MK808 is a cheap device, there are no fuses or regulators between any of the usb ports, so you can power it from any of the three ports. I would surmise that it is the same on the MK 802, but you could always test with a multimeter.

Is there any reason that you are replacing the bottom casing that you have cut out of the lapdock with a piece from the MK802 rather than just modifying the casing of the lapdock as I did? I am not trying to claim that I have a superior design or anything of the sort, I am just curious about the choices you have made and enjoy learning about others similar projects.
joshuahandrich

Postby Mehhh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 am

joshuahandrich wrote:OTG is only possible on micro and mini usb connectors as they are 5 pin connectors, not 4 as USB A. Fortunately, as the MK808 is a cheap device, there are no fuses or regulators between any of the usb ports, so you can power it from any of the three ports. I would surmise that it is the same on the MK 802, but you could always test with a multimeter.

Is there any reason that you are replacing the bottom casing that you have cut out of the lapdock with a piece from the MK802 rather than just modifying the casing of the lapdock as I did? I am not trying to claim that I have a superior design or anything of the sort, I am just curious about the choices you have made and enjoy learning about others similar projects.

LOL, no big deal, I like your design alot as it's very slick. I did it this way for future expansion, heat reasons, and the ability to have a larger heatsink than my current design. As is I still have to cut out the top portion (maybe) because it is simply too thick with the heatsink. I may attempt to shave off a few more mm but I have a feeling i'll be cutting out the top(or just vents on the top/back if i can shave it down enough) to allow the HS to get some outside air. I intend to overclock my unit and noticed early on that the sides of the unit get extremely hot on the narrow areas next to the SoC.

The other reason for my design is that I want to be able to have room for future mini-pcbs (i'll be using this unit all the time) with minimal tweaking of the stick i'm using at the time (3.5mm, bt, wifi antenna, 3g sim, etc) on that back left side. The bottom portion of the SoC area gets very very hot, so no matter which USB option I go with, i need room to place / raise with hot glue on the unit in a space that protects the wires / surrounds while still being able to remove the bundle. I also want to be able to click the reset button at any time, even if it's with a toothpick, pen, etc.

I do have some questions though. Is that top left (on the MK808 where the full USB was), handling your power and KB / TP? Did you remove the back MicroUSB on the back left? Is it possible to solder on a Micro / Mini USB to where the power plug was on the MK802 (where your back left MicroUSB possibly was)?
Mehhh

Postby Mehhh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:25 am

Ah, here we go. This would not work on the MK802's USB A female?
Mehhh

Postby joshuahandrich » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:33 pm

Mehhh wrote:I do have some questions though. Is that top left (on the MK808 where the full USB was), handling your power and KB / TP? Did you remove the back MicroUSB on the back left? Is it possible to solder on a Micro / Mini USB to where the power plug was on the MK802 (where your back left MicroUSB possibly was?

I did remove the mini USB on the back of the unit as it was only used for power and i was feeding that to the USB A port. I suppose you may be able to solder the power and ground from your power barrel connector and the data lines from the USB connector, but I didn't see the point. With mine, power is
via the USB A, and the data lines work for the track pad, keyboard, and USB hub. Another nice thing about soldering to the USB A is that they are through hole, very easy to desolder, and easy to secure wires to. The short (about 2") wires that I attached there are soldered to a female micro USB connector that mates with the lapdock.
joshuahandrich

Postby Mehhh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 pm

joshuahandrich wrote:I did remove the mini USB on the back of the unit as it was only used for power and i was feeding that to the USB A port. I suppose you may be able to solder the power and ground from your power barrel connector and the data lines from the USB connector, but I didn't see the point. With mine, power is
via the USB A, and the data lines work for the track pad, keyboard, and USB hub. Another nice thing about soldering to the USB A is that they are through hole, very easy to desolder, and easy to secure wires to. The short (about 2") wires that I attached there are soldered to a female micro USB connector that mates with the lapdock.

Awesome, exactly the info I was looking for. I'll be sure to post updates here as well. :mrgreen:
Mehhh

Postby strider_mt2k » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:24 pm

Great stuff guys!
That tidbit about the power leads is a good one. Versatility is so cool, even if it means treading more carefully.
strider_mt2k

Postby Harlequin_Felis » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:46 pm

So I'm making the plunge and trying this out. Got myself a Bionic lapdock (not as good as an Atrix I hear, but the only one I could find) and about to order one of the 802's.
I'm not quick on the uptake when it comes to putting together tech though. Could somebody give me a Cliffs Notes version of what I'm doing to get an MK802 II/III to work with the thing? Especially the step involving removing the red power wire? Is that the wire in a USB cable, or inside the lapdock itself?
Sorry if I'm asking what seem like stupid questions, or asking people to dumb down perfectly visible info already in the thread for me, but I'll never learn otherwise, right?

Cheers in advance.
Harlequin_Felis

Postby Mehhh » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:20 am

Heads up MK802 owners!!!! The smallest Micro-USB female-> Mini-USB male adapter I have ever seen is available at... Home Depot.

GE 3 ft. Micro/Mini USB Combo Cable w/Adapter
Model # 99113 Internet # 203367672 Store SKU # 954521

Mehhh

Postby strider_mt2k » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:33 pm

Mehhh wrote:Heads up MK802 owners!!!! The smallest Micro-USB female-> Mini-USB male adapter I have ever seen is available at... Home Depot.

GE 3 ft. Micro/Mini USB Combo Cable w/Adapter
Model # 99113 Internet # 203367672 Store SKU # 954521

Nice find!
USB and HDMI adapters are the things to have when playing in this particular playground that is for certain!
strider_mt2k

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum