Allwinner A10s

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Allwinner A10s

Postby jirmik » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi,
first of all, I'd like someone to confirm that my new MK802+ is genuine. It looks exactly like ones shown in pictures all around the internet (black box with green robot image, labelled "MK802+ ANDROID 4.0 MINI PC" with 8 ventilation holes in two rows on the bottom side, with all the connectors) and accessories look OK as well. The problem is that it can't boot linux from SD card. (Blue led lights after connecting it to power but nothing happens when SD card with linux image is inserted. Android worked OK after removing the SD card.) After testing many linux images I've found on internet, I've removed the plastic cover and found an Allwinner A10s on the PCB instead of A10, although the A10s is not mentioned anywhere (the box and manual say A10). So my question is: Did the Rikomagic started producing MK802+ computers with A10s instead of A10? (I can add some photos of PCB of my MK802+ with A10s if someone is interested.)

And if I do own a genuine MK802+, are there Android recovery images for it? (I've bricked the Android installation and want to reflash it using Livesuit, but MK802 images does not seem to work.) And finally: does anyone have any experience with running linux on A10s? (I'm actually interested in running linux on my MK802+ - Android is just a fallback option for me.)

PS: sorry for my poor English

EDIT: actually, A10 is NOT mentioned in the manual nor on the box. I've seen it only on the web page of the eshop (http://www.tohlechci.cz/Mini-pocitace/M ... 02#diskuze).
jirmik

Re: Allwinner A10s

Postby twjordo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:09 am

do you have the firmware for the a10s ???? please post a link for it if you do ....Merry Christmas!!!!!
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby jirmik » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:38 am

twjordo wrote:do you have the firmware for the a10s ???? please post a link for it if you do ....Merry Christmas!!!!!

Hi, unfortunately I have neither working Android firmware nor working Linux SD card image. :( All I have is a bricked device (still don't know whether genuine or not) with A10s processor and a copy of original Android root filesystem (copied to external HDD before I managed to brick it). Unfortunately, I haven't copied nand flash contents, nor the bootloader. This week I'll finaly have some time, so I'll try to find some info and experiment with linux booting.

So far, I had no success with precompiled linux SD images found on internet. Don't even know where the problem is. (boot0, U-boot, kernel, ...) It would be great to make U-boot (or some early stage of linux kernel) blink the leds to indicate that it works, because I found no serial console header on my box's PCB and HDMI output seems to be too high-level for debugging early stages of system boot process.

So, currently I'm interested in working Android/Linux A10s images too. I'll post more info in case of any success. Merry Christmas. :)
jirmik

Postby jirmik » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 am

UPDATE:
Found working firmware. All needed info is here: http://www.techknow.t0xic.nl/forum/inde ... pic=4345.0
Actual firmware is here (if above link is not working): http://www.cozyswan.com/cs102/en/Download.html

Few important points:
- Used livesuit 1.04 on Win XP 32bit machine to flash the firmware.
- Seems to crash more often than the original firmware.
- Acceleration of video decoding does not seem to work. :( (xvid videos are choppy and with h264 it just reports an error)
IMPORTANT: do not try to flash this firmware to your (fake) MK802 if original firmware works or you will lose video decoding acceleration. (And the original firmware is not available to flash it back.)

Conclusion: still looking for better firmware :(
Last edited by jirmik on Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jirmik

Postby yenya » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi,
I bought the device in the same shop as you and I can not connect it through HDMI with my FullHD projector either the TV. On TV by my friend goes without problem. I suppouse it's the same model as yours (MK802+ / build: elite_nm307_v11-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D 20121106 test-keys / model: SoftwinerEvb. I tried update it with firmware you recomended but with no success. Don't you have any idea what to do?
Thanks a lot ...
Yenya (yenya@centrum)
yenya

Postby jirmik » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:26 am

yenya wrote:... I can not connect it through HDMI with my FullHD projector either the TV. ... Don't you have any idea what to do?

Hi, sorry - I have no idea. Mine worked with all three tested TVs with no problems (both with new and old firmware).

I tried update it with firmware you recomended but with no success.

What exactly do you mean with "no success"? Were you able to flash the firmware at all? (If not, your piece may have the right A10 processor. Have you tried original firmwares provided by Rikomagic?) Anyway, I don't think that it is a good idea to play with this new firmware if original one works - the new one breaks video decoding acceleration and the original one is not available to flash it back. (I'll update the previous post to mention this.)

I'm going to try to return my MK802 to the seller because it does not have A10 as it should. Moreover the printed manual says that it is "AK-212MinPC" instead of MK802 which I have ordered.
jirmik

Postby kiodo1981 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 am

I've these cpu and I use A10s_v1.4_20121210_432_1G.img
It's possible install Linux?
Thanks
kiodo1981

Postby AdamBialas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 pm

I make kernel using https://github.com/linux-sunxi and u-boot but i can't boot from SD Card to debian :( This MK802+ CS102 booting just to Android :( from original firmware .
AdamBialas

Postby jirmik » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 pm

It's possible install Linux?

Linux definitely runs on the A10s device (because android is linux too), but I had no success with any of linux images from internet. You will probably have to build a custom linux image for the device if you know how to do it. I don't know how, so I can't help you. :(

I've these cpu and I use A10s_v1.4_20121210_432_1G.img

Does the video decoding acceleration work with it? Can you please post some download link?
jirmik

Postby jirmik » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:20 am

I make kernel using https://github.com/linux-sunxi and u-boot but i can't boot from SD Card to debian :( This MK802+ CS102 booting just to Android :( from original firmware .

I tried this too, but there were no configuration options for A10s devices to choose (only for A10 devices). I think that this is the problem (just the matter of the right boot config file), but don't know how to solve it.
jirmik

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum