Beginners questions!

Forum to discuss the new Quad Core Rikomagic MK802 IV Mini PC

Moderators: twjordo, KEgg, tatubias

Beginners questions!

Postby yosser70 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a MK802 iv for browsing the net, viewing internet tv from onlinetv ect and a bit of gaming. I currently have a cheap android tablet that's running 4.1 and does all those things OK so I'd guess one running 4.2 like the rikomagic would do the same if not better. My question is are they useable out the box? Reading through this forum there seems to be a fair few problems with them so would they be suitable for someone with little experience of programming android devices?

Cheers
yosser70

Re: Beginners questions!

Postby lucazade » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:26 am

The MK802IV stick is quite good considering its price, unfortunately the Rikomagic support is so poor and stock roms are awful. A pity.
Neomode roms solve almost any problems with a little bit of tricky upgrade process.
lucazade

Postby yosser70 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Thanks for that. Where can I find the Neomode ROM and maybe instructions for installing it (an idiots guide would be best! lol) Also what version of the 802 iv should I be looking for as there seems to be some with different chips.
yosser70

Postby linuxusr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:36 pm

i will add to this thread another beginner's question: the instructions talk about downloading and installing various components: loader, boot, kernel, system, image, various utility applications, etc. Some of the programs are meant to run on a host computer, some are meant to be imaged onto MK802IV, some on an SD card. I'm sorry for being a beginner. I know that this is all totally obvious to you, guys. Can you please help me out and either point me to somehwere where I can read and learn what the role of each of these component is and understand the sequence of steps; or just reply with the answer here. I am sure this info would be super useful to many people.

I am interested in installing Linux on an SD card and then cloning the card so that i can "roll back" to a good state if i screw something up later. Couldn't this goal be accomplished with three simple steps

* download a Picuntu image from somewhere (where?)
* place the image on the SD card using some tool (which?)
* and clone the card using some tool (which?)

then insert the SD card into MK802IV, turn it on, and run with it... Will ML802IV just boot into Picuntu if the SD card has it?

Thank you
linuxusr

Return to Rikomagic MK802 IV Quad Core Forum