The big fat thread on Wifi

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

The big fat thread on Wifi

Postby mdmar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:15 am

Received the MK802Ii the other day:)
Everything running ok, except for wifi.

the speed is a joke, and streaming is just out of the question:(
gettin a couple of hundred kbit/s when Im on my 30/10 MB-line.

I read several threads, but no answer to be found...

Is anyone gettin higer speeds at all? If not, this device is COMPLETELY USELESS imho:(
mdmar

Re: The big fat thread on Wifi

Postby Mongis » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:31 pm

Just got the MK802 II myself, I have 3 or 4 bars out of 4 total. Almost maxing out my 10/10 MB-line.
Mongis

Postby Sebz4n » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:10 pm

What do you insepct when the antenna is shorter than this - !

Get a USB ethernet adapter
Sebz4n

Postby NOD » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:13 pm

Or just replace the internal antenna with a external connector for a actually decent antenna.
get a u.fl to rp-sma cable http://www.wifiking.com/images/produkte ... Female.png and snip off the small connector.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=426#p2547
Then solder the inner wire in that cable up to point 6 on the wireless module, and the shielding just under the insulation to either ground or point 5.
Though that's a approach only for people who knows how to use a soldering iron.
NOD

Postby mdmar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:42 pm

Well, shouldnt really have to solder anything, right;)

Plus: Rikomagic is advertising wifi B/g/n, and that should deliver far better speed imho!

My router is sittin barely 2 meters away, so I really expect better execution!
mdmar

Postby mdmar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:10 pm

*Bumpin*

So are u guys gettin usuable wifi then?
Could u plz post ur speed as Im really curious:)

My unit is a lemon?
mdmar

Postby Kurbits » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:28 am

mdmar wrote:So are u guys gettin usuable wifi then?...

For me the external antenna actually made the mk802 usable.
I joined the short antenna cable inside of the MK802 to a cable with a RP-SMA female connector with a cheap antenna in the other end. I did this by (amateurishly) splicing and soldering the two cables together.
Before this i had a lot of problems streaming video whenever any of my neighbors used their wifi. The built in antenna was really sensitive to interference. I could get speeds pending between 0.5 and 8 Mbit when running tests (even with just minutes between tests) but most often i got around 2 Mbit.
Now i get 12-15 Mbit steadily. Still a bit lower than i get with my laptop (40-50 Mbit) but clearly enough for streaming video.
Kurbits

Postby haxin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 am

i have a couple different mk802's and an mk802 II the problem with them is the way the antenna is crammed into the tiny case with no rf-shielding or any way to properly position it. this is an omni directional dipole on the inside, that is soldered directly to he realtek chip. a combination of excess heat, and interference from the other devices are what is causing the horrible connection and signal issues. one easy way to fix it is just remove the case (it snaps together) and drill a small hole that the internal antenna can fit through. then let the antenna be outside of the case. this will instantly fix your issues. or you can get a little fancier like i did with one of mine and solder ann RP-SMA pigtail in place of the stock antenna. then you can put any aftermarket antenna or amplifier on it that you want. thats where it can get fun.
Attachments
ant3.jpg
ant3.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
ant2.jpg
ant2.jpg (63.77 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
mkantenna1.jpg
mkantenna1.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
haxin

Postby t0nito » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:58 am

That's so wierd, my mk802+ is about 8 meters from my router I've never had any problems, stable connection a great speed. Maybe there's a bad solder joint on the antenna connection. There are reports that the HDMI cable interferes with the wifi connection. I've never used the stock hdmi cable, I'm using one from a camcorder. Try using a different hdm cable.
t0nito

Postby Casity » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:50 am

Has anyone tried plugging in a usb wifi adapter? I don't quite trust myself with even removing the case, and the adapter would be a way better option all around.
Casity

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum