MK802 REV.2 Firmware

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: REV.2 Firmware

Postby batrarobin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:18 am

People who installed Rev.2 firmware with all sorts of patches etc, could you please share your experiences about the performance improvements that this new firmware brought ?

I am still at my stock firmware, and have been holding back from upgrading due to all sorts of problems being reported here. However if the Rev.2 improves the speed, and responsiveness of the device, I'll take the plunge to upgrade it.

I mainly use this device to watch youtube and online TV shows, cricket, movies, live TV channels (embedded into webpages) etc. If Rev.2 is going to affect any of this functionality I am NOT going to upgrade. and I definitely need the flash support to play embedded videos - not sure Rev.2 would affect anything related to that ?

I use a 2.4Ghz wireless keyboard and am happy with it, so I don't really need the bluetooth functionality.
batrarobin

Postby unrealdtc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:38 am

batrarobin wrote:People who installed Rev.2 firmware with all sorts of patches etc, could you please share your experiences about the performance improvements that this new firmware brought ?

As far as I'm concerned, the v2 firmware adds the following improvements:
- The HDMI output is more reliable (no more black screens)
- 1080p24 is supported, meaning smoother video playback
unrealdtc

Postby exodus » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:08 pm

To me the firmware update was needed becaue it made the video signal stable. My unit was broekn and changing the video aspect ratio constantly. It was unuseable. After applying the rev2 update I got to set the display size.
exodus

Postby Tatanko » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:23 pm

The rev.2 firmware is worth it for the display resolutions alone, in my opinion. On the original firmware your only choice is 720p, but on rev.2 you can do 1080p and 1080i along with a number of refresh rates, as well as lower resolutions (480 and 576) if those are of any use to you. For example a member on here was asking for 480p to use the device on a small screen in his car.

The few small issues created by rev.2 are actually quite easy to fix. You can fix all four of them in less than half an hour even as an unskilled user. I did them all in like 10 minutes and prior to owning the MK802 I had never really used Android before, let alone made tweaks to it.
MK802+
--Rev.2 firmware (4.0.4), 1GB RAM, a few tweaks...
Late '11 Macbook Pro 15"
--OS X 10.8.3, 2.4 GHz, 1GB graphics, 16GB RAM, high-res screen
iPhone 5
--iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken, 16GB storage
Tatanko

Postby wiffel » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:07 am

fredrikwe wrote:For me most things work better on Rev. 2, but I have lost VPN. It no longer appears under Other in the Networking section of Settings and when I click on the PPOE heading I get an error msg that Settings has closed.

fredrikwe,

I had the same problem with VPN.

In the past I did use "VPN-Menu" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m.vpn_menu) for quicker access to the VPN menu in the settings. Just for the fun of it I did install it on my MK802 after installing REV.2.

And - surprise, surprise - it worked. It did get me to the VPN menu. I was able to set up my VPN connection. And it works fine.

Might work for you too. It's worth the try.
wiffel

Postby ubernoobza » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi. first post here, so please forgive me if I am being a noob. Will this firmware work on ANY MK802 based device ? I just ordered an MK802 device (looks like all the other Mk802 devices out there and described as "1GB Cortex-A8 1.5GHz MK802 Mini PC" - I know it's not really 1.5GHz) from ebay, and was wondering if I would be able to use this FW on the device ?
ubernoobza

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:06 am

Yes ubernoobza definitely if it's a legit MK802 (which it sounds like you'll get), and probably even on some others.
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby batrarobin » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:50 am

Thanks unrealdtc, exodus, and Tatanko for your responses - I am going to upgrade the firmware this weekend. (Wish me luck! ) :)
batrarobin

Postby fenyx » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:25 am

Is there a way how to get rid off that annoying SW keyboard?
fenyx

Postby NOD » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:12 pm

fenyx wrote:Is there a way how to get rid off that annoying SW keyboard?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... llkeyboard
Set it as your only software keyboard.
It's basically just a software keyboard dummy.
NOD

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum