MK802 REV.2 Firmware

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: REV.2 Firmware

Postby Marc Swing » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:57 am

Any news on a firmware update soon?

Its kind of f*cked up that they just trow out a half finished release and then release a new device (mk802 II) instead of making a solid firmware...

And does anybody experience the same problem like me with the Rev.2 firmware? The adjustable screen resolution resets when i restart my device (i change it to 1080P 60Hz but when i restart the device it changes back to 720P 60Hz)
Marc Swing

Postby Tatanko » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Marc Swing wrote:Its kind of f*cked up that they just trow out a half finished release and then release a new device (mk802 II) instead of making a solid firmware...

I would love to see a new firmware as much as you, because there is plenty yet to be fixed even from the original firmware, but the rev.2 firmware is really not as bad as some people make it out to be. There are a few specific, rare cases where something important doesn't work but those issues seem to be specific to a certain way of being used, certain display, etc. If you do the four major "fixes" to the rev.2 firmware, which are incredibly easy to do for anyone other than a total computer newbie, you'll love it compared to the original. The additional resolutions are worth it alone. Pretty much all of the major issues created by updating are fixable.

Marc Swing wrote:And does anybody experience the same problem like me with the Rev.2 firmware? The adjustable screen resolution resets when i restart my device (i change it to 1080P 60Hz but when i restart the device it changes back to 720P 60Hz)

I have a similar problem, but not your exact problem. Mine resets to 720p60, but only when I switch which display I'm using it on. For example, most of the time mine gets used on a 24" 1080p60 television, but occasionally I will hook it up to my buddy's 55" 1080p60 television. Even though they are the same resolution and refresh rate, when I switch between the two it will default back to 720p60. If I use it on the same TV twice in a row, even if I power it down and unplug it completely, it will not reset itself.
MK802+
--Rev.2 firmware (4.0.4), 1GB RAM, a few tweaks...
Late '11 Macbook Pro 15"
--OS X 10.8.3, 2.4 GHz, 1GB graphics, 16GB RAM, high-res screen
iPhone 5
--iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken, 16GB storage
Tatanko

Postby Marc Swing » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:52 am

If I use it on the same TV twice in a row, even if I power it down and unplug it completely, it will not reset itself.

But I'm using it only to my 42" full HD tv and it reset itself back to 720p every time i turn the device off and on...
Marc Swing

Postby batrarobin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Could anyone please confirm if you managed to use Skype successfully with the new firmware Rev.2, if yes please also confirm which USB camera are you using.
batrarobin

Re: REV.2 Firmware...how do I know if that's what I'm runnin

Postby trackzero » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:31 pm

Hey, all...Just got the MK802 at the end of last week. Trying to figure out if it's running the latest firmware before I go through the seemingly-somewhat-painful process of a potentially-unnecessary firmware upgrade...

...but...is there anything I can use as an indicator in the "About Device" section to know which firmware version I'm running? The version under Build Number is:
apollo_tvdevb-eng 4.0.4 IMM76D 20120724 test-keys

So the date seems fresh, but I don't know if that has any relationship to the Rev.2 firmware detailed in this thread?

Thanks,

trackzero
trackzero

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:24 pm

trackzero, as you have 4.0.4 that looks like the latest firmware.
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:27 pm

The way I see it, a Rev2 firmware got released accidentally and they just left it at that for now since it was so close to the proposed release date. Not sure what to make of it all, whether or not that guess is right or not.
EnvyThisStuff

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Tatanko wrote:
Marc Swing wrote:And does anybody experience the same problem like me with the Rev.2 firmware? The adjustable screen resolution resets when i restart my device (i change it to 1080P 60Hz but when i restart the device it changes back to 720P 60Hz)

I have a similar problem, but not your exact problem. Mine resets to 720p60, but only when I switch which display I'm using it on. For example, most of the time mine gets used on a 24" 1080p60 television, but occasionally I will hook it up to my buddy's 55" 1080p60 television. Even though they are the same resolution and refresh rate, when I switch between the two it will default back to 720p60. If I use it on the same TV twice in a row, even if I power it down and unplug it completely, it will not reset itself.

I posted this on a thread of its own, but I have to confess, given that I have a "conforming" monitor, I really don't understand how the adjustment of the XpY is supposed to work anyway, since, you have to get booted up first to do it, and if you have a problem monitor, seems to me there are some cases where you can't boot to change it. Anybody can explain?
EnvyThisStuff

Postby Tatanko » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:58 pm

Marc Swing wrote:
If I use it on the same TV twice in a row, even if I power it down and unplug it completely, it will not reset itself.

But I'm using it only to my 42" full HD tv and it reset itself back to 720p every time i turn the device off and on...

Then I am thinking your TV is perhaps part of the equation. I have no answer unfortunately :(

EnvyThisStuff wrote:
Tatanko wrote:

I posted this on a thread of its own, but I have to confess, given that I have a "conforming" monitor, I really don't understand how the adjustment of the XpY is supposed to work anyway, since, you have to get booted up first to do it, and if you have a problem monitor, seems to me there are some cases where you can't boot to change it. Anybody can explain?

Good question. You say you have a "conforming" monitor, what do you mean by that exactly? Do you mean that it adjusts to what the input is set at (in this case whatever resolution your MK802 would be set at)?
MK802+
--Rev.2 firmware (4.0.4), 1GB RAM, a few tweaks...
Late '11 Macbook Pro 15"
--OS X 10.8.3, 2.4 GHz, 1GB graphics, 16GB RAM, high-res screen
iPhone 5
--iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken, 16GB storage
Tatanko

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Tatanko wrote:
EnvyThisStuff wrote:I posted this on a thread of its own, but I have to confess, given that I have a "conforming" monitor, I really don't understand how the adjustment of the XpY is supposed to work anyway, since, you have to get booted up first to do it, and if you have a problem monitor, seems to me there are some cases where you can't boot to change it. Anybody can explain?

Good question. You say you have a "conforming" monitor, what do you mean by that exactly? Do you mean that it adjusts to what the input is set at (in this case whatever resolution your MK802 would be set at)?

By conforming I meant it always worked with the MK802 w/o having to change any settings (except overscan but that's a different issue). I'm not convinced that's == "it adjusts" but it may be.
EnvyThisStuff

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum