Linux for MK802

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: Linux for MK802

Postby andykirby » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Maybe check the system monitor to see if theres any signs of a process that could cause this, I would also check another distro too.
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby elRicharD » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:52 am

andykirby wrote:Maybe check the system monitor to see if theres any signs of a process that could cause this, I would also check another distro too.

I tried Miniand's Lubuntu distro and it seemed to work OK. I can't get associated with any APs with it though, the hardware runs fine and all (iwlist gets the APs fine but dhclient can't connect and iwconfig does apply changes to the wlan0 interface), but I have to recheck if it hangs. Usually I had problems with browsers when using this topic's distro, so I could not replicate the issue on the other one. I will run some audio player to see if it causes it to hang like this topic's distro did before.

I will post again when I have something.

Thanks!
elRicharD

Postby ARMguy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:18 am

Miniand wrote:I've just tried out your image and it's working really sweet, we're getting very close to a fast and usable system :)

We can't wait for the new Mali drivers to come out.

Can we run Opera Browser on ARM version of Ubuntu? Thanks.
ARMguy

Postby elRicharD » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:10 am

elRicharD wrote:
andykirby wrote:Maybe check the system monitor to see if theres any signs of a process that could cause this, I would also check another distro too.

I tried Miniand's Lubuntu distro and it seemed to work OK. I can't get associated with any APs with it though, the hardware runs fine and all (iwlist gets the APs fine but dhclient can't connect and iwconfig does apply changes to the wlan0 interface), but I have to recheck if it hangs. Usually I had problems with browsers when using this topic's distro, so I could not replicate the issue on the other one. I will run some audio player to see if it causes it to hang like this topic's distro did before.

I will post again when I have something.

Thanks!

Fedora ran OK up to the point I try to use internet (the trick of adding the user to inet and inetadmin groups works) but as soon as I connect to the wireless network the system hangs badly. Could it be a heat-related issue? I am using the external power source, not the USB plug, to drive the MK802. It gets hot sometimes but hangups don't seem to be related. I would love to see a core dump or something, but even tailing /var/log/messages while running (and hanging) the thing does not provide anything.

I will keep trying, I prefer any Linux to the android OS, so this is why I bought this little thing.

Thanks!
elRicharD

Postby carlosguedes » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:24 pm

Dear Andy,

I'm having problem on this Image you made it.

The first time I put it on the sd ir worked well, but after, is became unresponsible and for incredible it seems, even getting the image again i can't make this image run in my mk802.

I will explain you the steps, maybe some of you guys or Andy had this problem as well.
(note that im not putting the right file names because i don't have them here at this machine. But i'm perrty sure that i used all the names correctly)

0- Using a 16GB sdcard class4 (Working correctly - Because i had flashed other linux versions in it - but because of performance i had ripped of the idea of using them)

1- I've downloaded the lubuntu_1204_rikomagic image

2- Downloaded u-boot_512m.bin and u-boot switch

2- Uncompressed it

3- ubootswitch rikomagic_image uboot512

4- diskimage to this uboot switched rikomagic image

5- After that the image is ready, right?

Tried to put into my TV (worked before) and no signal appears.

After that, i replaced evb.bin to 1080p (since my tv is HD one)

Also no signal working.

I've switched hdmi ports on television and to make sure i had booted with another linux image and the android (to check the mk802 and if cables/energy were working)

It really seems to be a problem in booting the device.

Does anyone had a problem like this? Can someone give me directions on how to proceed?

Hope there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Best regards to all

Thanks in advance.
carlosguedes

Postby tahnok » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Are you using 1080p at 50Hz? My tv didn't support that mode so I had to change the [disp_init] section of my evb.bin file to
Code: Select all
[disp_init]
disp_init_enable = 1
disp_mode = 0
screen0_output_type = 3
screen0_output_mode = 8
screen1_output_type = 1
screen1_output_mode = 8
fb0_framebuffer_num = 2
fb0_format = 10
fb0_pixel_sequence = 0
fb0_scaler_mode_enable = 0
fb1_framebuffer_num = 2
fb1_format = 10
fb1_pixel_sequence = 0
fb1_scaler_mode_enable = 0

Here's the bin file I have on my mk802 https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxk0ZWM0SHzGNmtUTE52YnFLZjQ
tahnok

Postby bastianh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:38 am

Hi!
I've just tested the 1.43G lubuntu 1024-Image on a 8 GByte Mini-SD-Card - and it is running very well! Good work so far!
Unfortunately my Apple ethernet-to-usb adapter does not work. I really want to use it because wifi is much too slow for me. And with the stock firmware Ver. 2 (Android) this adapter works very fine.
Does anybody have an idea how to get this stuff running under lubuntu?

Greetings from Cologne,
Bastian
bastianh

Postby bert_mariani » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:28 pm

I cannot get Linux to boot on the MK802.
When I power on the MK802 with the Lubuntu image on the SD-micro, the screen just sits there blank even after 10 minutes.

I followed the steps in the article. What am I doing wrong ? Is there a step I am missing ?
What files and partitions should the SD-micro have on it is imaged. Where is the boot file ? etc

I just received on Mk802 1G / 4G Allwinner A10 - ArmA8.
I have a SD-micro with 8G. Tried formatting with Windows, Ubuntu and SD-Format
I downloaded and tried the various Lubuntu images.
Used 7-Zip and Win32DiskImager to create the SD-micro with Lubuntu on it.
I powered on/off a few times. Re-inserted the SD-micro etc.

I created a Lubuntu image for my Laptop, and the Laptop comes up with Lubuntu from the SD-micro, so I know the SD is good.

These are the software I used.
7z920.exe
win32diskimager-binary.zip
sdfmt3_1.zip
lubuntu-desktop-12.04-4-1080p-1GB-miniand.com.img.7z
lubuntu-desktop-12.04-1-miniand.com.img.7z
lubuntu-1204-rikomagicuk.7z

Thanks
bert_mariani

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:40 am

Sounds like you're writing to the wrong device. Provide details of which device you're using on which system, and somebody can probably perk up what should be being used.
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby bert_mariani » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:45 pm

How does the SD card have to be formated ?
- Windows FAT32 ?
- Linux EXT4 ?

After it is formatted what should you see on it - files, partitions etc. (Windows, Linux)
After writting the Image file, what should you see on it - files, partitions etc? (Windows, Linux)

How do you identify if the "boot" program is on the SD card after the image is written.
Do you have to install the "boot" as a seperate step. Or does the Win32DiskImager or Linux "dd" command do it ?

Thanks
Bert
bert_mariani

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum