MK902II LE as an SDR platform

Forum to discuss the new MK902II LE RK3288 Quad Core Linux Mini PC.

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

MK902II LE as an SDR platform

Postby andykirby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi,

To those of you that are into radio, particularly SDR (software defined radio) you will know that up until now you have had to use a hefty Windows or Linux PC to run a lot of the popular SDR software.

Well not any more! inspired by KD0CQ's work on getting this software running on the Beaglebone Black we have managed to get GNU Radio and GQRX running on the MK902II LE, making it probably the most powerful self contained SDR platform out there. Just add a USB RTL-SDR dongle and Antenna, plug in a monitor and mouse, fire up GQRX and you have yourself an embedded SDR receiver for casual or professional use.

Heres the video of it in action!

If the interest is there we will offer the MK902II LE preinstalled with the software and possibly an RTL-SDR dongle too, stay tuned!
andykirby
Site Admin

Re: MK902II LE as an SDR platform

Postby gege33 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:53 am

Hello
very good video but ihave some questions

which os have you used ubuntu debian and have you build manually GQRX or loaded from a repositry
I try to do the same on bananapi but nothing works

thanks
gege33

Postby andykirby » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:42 pm

We have compiled an image for our device based on an original image developed for beaglebone by KD0CQ

http://www.kd0cq.com/2014/08/packed-ful ... ntu-14-04/

We made some modifications and compiled our own kernel and modules to get it to run.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby mauro.messerotti » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Dear Andy,

How can I get the image with the SDR platform? I would be grateful if I can install it on MK902II LE, which I would like to use as a didactic platform for my students.

In fact, as you stress a customisation for MK902II LE is needed and you have successfully carried out it.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Mauro
Prof. Mauro Messerotti
Astrophysicist
mauro.messerotti

Postby KK6VQQ » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:35 am

I’m very excited by this! Gqrx is my favorite SDR software which I usually run on a Mac Mini. Have tried it on a BeagleBone Black & Raspberry Pi but results are pretty disappointing. Was almost ready to get something like an Intel NUC when I discovered your MK902II LE.

I will likely order one soon. My understanding is that it comes with Ubuntu and that you have modified KD0CQ’s image for your YouTube demonstration video. Is this correct? Will you make your MK902II LE version available?

I wonder if Alex (the creator of Gqrx) and Robin know about your product? It seems they ceased development for the armhf platform some time ago due to poor performance on BBB & Pi.

Tim - KK6VQQ
KK6VQQ

Return to Rikomagic / Cloudsto MK902II LE RK3288 Quad Core Linux Mini PC