MK902II as a desktop replacement

Forum to discuss the new MK902II LE RK3288 Quad Core Linux Mini PC.

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Postby yiorgos » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi all
O posted this in another thread but didn;t get a reply so here we go:
I am considering buying one of these Linux mini PCs to be used as a desktop replacement i.e. office applications, email, internet, some video playback etc.
Those of you who have been using it for the past few months, do you consider it to be mature enough for this purpose? i.e. does the device now support h/w accelaration for video? Does youtube and video playback work OK? Will someone be able to easily upgrade his ubuntu installation eventually? Could we install another linux distro?

Thanks!
yiorgos

Re: MK902II as a desktop replacement

Postby andykirby » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi,

Yes its possible to use the MK902LE as a desktop replacement, actually the MK902IILE would be better as it is way faster than the previous generation... that being said both can carry out many everyday tasks with ease.

Video playback is possible without hardware acceleration on the MK902IILE (non HD fullscreen), youtube works fine.

You should always be careful when doing any MAJOR update to any Linux system as more often than not it will always break something or create an issue that needs to be fixed, this happens with ALL systems not just these! Minor updates are usually fine.

We use a number of the devices in our office for everyday tasks such as browsing, email, coding and compiling native ARM kernels + software. They work great but then being as its my forum I am probably a bit biased! :D
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby yiorgos » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks Andy!
My main platform has been Linux Mint for the past couple of years and I wouldn't go back to Windows. I am looking for a portable mini pc which I will use when I work from another location and I don't want to be constrained in any way. e.g. dropbox not working properly. not being able to edit a screenshot on Gimp watch some work related videos etc
yiorgos

Postby yiorgos » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 pm

Any other opinions?
yiorgos

Postby andykirby » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:33 am

There's going to be a new release for V5LE and MK902IILE in a few days, it includes a lot more fixes making xubuntu perform even better, from what I've seen so far the performance in everyday tasks such has web browsing (particularly flash sites and youtube) and general desktop style use has improved a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby yiorgos » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:04 am

Hi Andy
Would someone need to compile the code to install e.g. dropbox? Or are all applications installable through the OS without problems?
yiorgos

Postby andykirby » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:49 pm

You can install loads of software through apt or using software center, not sure about Dropbox but most common software is available for Arm linux these days. If you can grab the source code for an unsupported app then of course you can compile yourself on the device natively.

Or for some x86 linux software you can use exagears brilliant virtualisation software to just run it. There's a video of Skype x86 running on the MK902IILE here:

http://www.cloudsto.com/products/linux- ... etail.html

andykirby
Site Admin

Postby andykirby » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:35 pm

You might be interested in this...

http://youtu.be/wQ6mrvonNSw

andykirby
Site Admin

Return to Rikomagic / Cloudsto MK902II LE RK3288 Quad Core Linux Mini PC