Trying to modify RKM V5 boot/root filesystem

Forum to discuss the new Quad Core A17 Rikomagic MK802 V5 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Trying to modify RKM V5 boot/root filesystem

Postby joshs » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:53 pm

I wanted to make a modification to my RKM V5 boot/root partition, but found something that I don't understand.

The RKM V5 "boot" partition (/dev/mmcblk0p5) includes unexpected compressed data after the initramfs image. That partition begins with a signed gzipped cpio boot filesystem as expected. But then after 0x190 bytes of 0 padding, ending on a 0x200 boundary, I find another equally large chunk of compressed data.

I claim that the data is compressed because when I try compressing it, I only get a 0.125% reduction in size. The 'file' command doesn't recognize the data, and I see no evidence of embedded header information, which leaves me puzzled. I tried treating it as raw gzipped data without a header (c.f. http://unix.stackexchange.com/a/49066), but gunzip complained of a stream error, so I doubt it was gzipped as its cpio counterpart was. In case anyone is wondering, this partition is not a zImage.

Does anyone know what is going on in this partition? Or alternatively, can anyone suggest another way to modify the boot filesystem other than rebuilding the kernel?
joshs

Return to Rikomagic MK802 V5 Quad Core A17 Forum