V5 shuts down sometimes after Samsung TV is turned off

Forum to discuss the new Quad Core A17 Rikomagic MK802 V5 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

V5 shuts down sometimes after Samsung TV is turned off

Postby rkmquad » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:33 am

Hi guys,

I purchased the Rikomagic V5 HDMI stick and really like it. However one nagging issue is that the device will turn off after the TV is turned off. And it is unpredictable. Sometimes it will stay on for a day or so. I have it connected to HDMI 2 on a Samsung 46" LED TV. My other devices (Chromecast, Roku) stay powered on after the TV is off - or come on with the TV. My Apple TV goes to sleep, but can be awoken at the press of any button on the remote when the TV is turned on.

Not so the V5. Sometimes when I come back a day later, turn the tv on and switch to HDMI2 the desktop is right there waiting. Other times and more often than not I get "No Signal Found" on the TV after turning it on and switching to HDMI2. Pushing a button on the Minix Neo A2 remote does nothing. The only way to get the Rikomagic back on the screen is to unplug from the outlet and plug back in. Then it boots up.

I am running the Apex Loader.

I would really like this device to stay on or be able to wake it with the remote. Having to unplug the device every time sucks and defeats the purpose of using the device as a media player like the Roku and Apple TV.

Please let me know if there is something I can do to make it work as expected.

Thank you.
rkmquad

Re: V5 shuts down sometimes after Samsung TV is turned off

Postby rkmquad » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:41 am

Is this normal behavior? Or do you guys have to turn the V5 on every time you want to use it with your TV? Not sure if this is normal or something is messed up with my configuration. Please let me know how yours is working in that regard. Thanks!
rkmquad

Postby rkmquad » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:05 am

Guys, I think I solved it. My Samsung TV had a setting called AnyNET where it will auto turn off any devices when the TV is turned off. I disabled this feature and now the V5 stays on as it should. I will add a remote outlet so I can turn it on if ever needed but I believe this device is going to work really well for me now.

The only strange part is my Roku, AppleTV and Chromecast were not turned off when auto turn was enable for AnyNET devices.
rkmquad

Postby shishir332 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi,

can you please elaborate on how you plan to remote start the device..i have it on all the time and would prefer to be able to shut it down and save electricity (which is already there) and start it remotely.

cheers,
S
shishir332

Postby rkmquad » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:59 am

shishir332 wrote:Hi,

can you please elaborate on how you plan to remote start the device..i have it on all the time and would prefer to be able to shut it down and save electricity (which is already there) and start it remotely.

cheers,
S

You could buy a wireless remote control outlet. I use these with some floor lamps in the house and there is no reason why it would not work with the Rikomagic. However it means one more remote to have in the house. I have over 20 remotes in the house as it is. You would have to manually power off the V5 or if your TV has Anynet capabilities you could set it to turn off the V5 when the TV is turned off.

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-13569-Wireless-Control-Outlets/dp/B003ZTWYXY

The Rikomagic probably does not use a lot of electricity but it does generate heat which is fine for me in the cold winter months. Many of these media devices are designed to always stay on - for example the Roku. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tablet that is always on. So I figured I may as well do the same with the Rikomagic and so far it has stayed on ever since I changed the setting on my Samsung. I paused an Amazon Prime movie a few nights ago for over 24 hours and when I came back and switched to the HDMI port of the V5 it was still showing and I could play it right away. For me personally the device would be useless if I had to boot it up every time I wanted to use it. I wish it had a power saving feature like the Apple TV though.

I also keep my computers on 24/7 and have found especially graphics cards lasting longer this way. And in the winter months they help heat the house.
rkmquad

Return to Rikomagic MK802 V5 Quad Core A17 Forum