Cloudsto MK802IV LE Mini Linux PC - Shipping NOW

Forum to discuss the new Quad Core Rikomagic MK12 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Cloudsto MK802IV LE Mini Linux PC - Shipping NOW

Postby andykirby » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:31 am

Yes thats right folks, the Quad Core Linux Mini PC is now shipping.

mk802iv_le3-1.png
mk802iv_le3-1.png (252.55 KiB) Viewed 106190 times

Its available in 8GB or 16GB versions:

http://www.cloudsto.com/mk802iii-le-mini-linux-pc/mk802iv-le-quad-core-linux-edition-picuntu-linux-mini-pc-8gb-flash-storage-detail.html

http://www.cloudsto.com/mk802iii-le-mini-linux-pc/mk802iv-le-quad-core-linux-edition-picuntu-linux-mini-pc-16gb-flash-storage-detail.html

Following the success of the the Cloudsto MK802III Linux Edition (LE) dual core, the first ever mini PCs to run Ubuntu/Picuntu Linux out of the box, we now introduce the MK802IV LE, a truly desktop class Mini Linux PC.
The Cloudsto MK802IV LE is a tiny computer which runs Ubuntu Linux and is a little bigger than a highlighter pen! At the heart of this tiny device is a powerful 1.6Ghz Quad-Core Cortex A9 ARM processor for blazing performance in all applications.
This Mini Linux PC connects to any HDMI or DVI compatible screen to provide a true 1080p multimedia digital display and a user experience similar to that of a desktop PC.
The Cloudsto MK802IV LE Mini Linux ARM PC has 2GB of RAM, built in Wifi, 3 x USB ports, Fast onboard flash storage and runs the Ubuntu desktop OS at full speed. Now it really is possible to browse the internet, read email, manage files, edit photos, make documents, make music and even watch TV in true desktop style using a PC which fits in the palm of your hand!
MK802IV LE is ideal for a wide range of applications;
Replacing large power hungry and expensive desktop computers in business environments
Digital signage applications
Web Kiosk
Thin Client
Server (runs full Ubuntu to allow complete configuration for all server needs)
Development platform for users involved in embedded solutions and researching fast ARM platforms
As a client for many other applications and tasks, freeing up the need for using a dedicated desktop machine for the job in hand
This platform also offers the following advantages;
Boots up in seconds
Very low power consumption (2-5 Watts under normal load)
Tiny form factor
Completely solid state (no moving parts)
Runs industry standard Linux distribution Ubuntu
Easy to deploy (firmware can be flashed by PC)
Low cost compared to WinTel boxes
No software licenses to worry about

Specifications
CPU - Rockchip RK3188 Quad Core (Cortex A9 Quad Core upto 1.6GHz)
GPU - Mali 400 Supports Open GL ES 1.1 and 2.0 (Linux support coming soon)
Memory (RAM) - 2GB
Storage - 8/16GB Internal NAND FLASH with Ubuntu preinstalled - 16GB Micro SD Card
System - Ubuntu Linux (Ubuntu 13.04, Picuntu 4.5) Full Ubuntu OS with access to many apps from Ubuntu software center.
Networking - Wifi 802.11b/g/n
Video - HDMI up to 1920x1080p
Audio - HDMI or External USB Sound Device (not included)
USB - 1 x Full Size USB Host, 2 x Micro USB (for powering device and recovery)
Other Hardware Features - PMU (for complete software shutdown), Easily accessible recovery switch.
Power - 5V USB <2 Amps
andykirby
Site Admin

Re: Cloudsto MK802IV LE Mini Linux PC - Shipping NOW

Postby andykirby » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:18 pm

just a little something to show whats possible with this device. :D

In this video the MK802IV LE is running LMMS (linux multimedia studio)
We knocked up this quick demo track using a mixture of software synthesisers, samples and the built in effects (reverb) that come with the software. There are 12 tracks playing and the CPU is rendering all the sound and FX in realtime! Theres quite a lot going on and the device just takes it all in its stride.
The song was made entirely in LMMS on the MK802IV LE with the drum samples (wav files) imported from my sample library onto an SD card.

We thought this was a great way to show whats possible on this hardware, personally I think LMMS running on the MK802IV LE blows any android or IOS music software away, and for an ARM device to perform like an x86 machine in this kind of application... Well the future is going to be extremely interesting :D

Andy
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby wiiguy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:14 pm

so between the Le version and the normal one, what are the diffrences aside the image ?
wiiguy

Postby mk802iii » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Andy, thanks for the heads up. Despite the extensive amount of info provided, I feel compelled to ask a few more quetions.

1. What do you mean by true 1080p? Is there any kind of trickery - up/down scaling, or tampering with the image. I've been fulled once by the so called "1080p support" in MK802iii, and don't want that to happen again. I'd be graetful, if you (or anyone else) could provide evidence that 1080p support is there, and works, since Rikomagics' credibilty is kind of low in that particular aspect.

2. There is no GPU acceleration, but it's comming soon. Any roadmap?

3. Ubuntu 13.04 is officially upported till January 2014, which is just 3 months away. Any plans for security updates after that?

Thanks.
mk802iii

Disk space issues on Cloudsto MK802IV LE Mini Linux PC

Postby leadermontanus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Hi,

I just received this, and it works very well and Ubuntu is smooth, so generally pretty happy about it.

However, the mounted root volume (i.e. "/" ) is only 4GB which is almost filled up and you cannot install much without running out of diskspace. This is despite the fact that the memory on the unit is 16GB, so we should have plenty of space on it. And as it is a live volume you cannot easily resize it!

Given that we pay extra for what is essentially a service job (i.e. we get Linux preinstalled, rather than buy a cheaper Android version of the MK802IV and then use Picuntu Nand Basic GUI version and install for free), I would have expected fairly simple stuff like this to be fixed. This was also a problem on the MK802III version which shipped with a 16GB MicroSD card with Picuntu taking only 8GB and the rest remaining unused, but it was easier to resize as we could remove the card and use a PC to change the partitions.

I would strongly suggest sorting this out on future versions, although this is obviously for those who are specially interested, I really see no point in adding minor niggles like this to what is otherwise a pretty neat experience...

A
leadermontanus

Postby andykirby » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the comments, glad you like the device.

The filesystem can be resized easily by opening up a terminal and typing:

sudo resize2fs /dev/mtdblock2

We also have a new QuickStart guide online.

http://www.cloudsto.com/802ivleqs.html

We have ironed out a few common bugs and these will be issued in the form of a software update soon :-)

Thanks!

Andy
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby bucky » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:21 am

Hello

So far I have bought a pc stick from the Justop range and an mk802 iii.
After just a few days use they both stayed frozen on the android screen.A quick search revealed that the fault is down to lack of power getting to the device.I tried some different usb cables/plugs combinations and ended up buying a single core pengstick purely down to the British 5v power input!
Mini usb ports are a bit of a gamble in my opinion so my question is can you recommend a suitable powerpack which will plug straight into the wall socket and if not , are refunds part of your policy if the same happens with this model?

Thanks in advance.
bucky

Postby leadermontanus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 pm

andykirby wrote:Hi!
The filesystem can be resized easily by opening up a terminal and typing:

sudo resize2fs /dev/mtdblock2

Yes, I found this after a bit of googling, so it solved the problem rather painlessly, but perhaps just as well to do this in the image you use to copy in the future?

andykirby wrote:We also have a new QuickStart guide online.

http://www.cloudsto.com/802ivleqs.html

Looking good. Could I suggest that with regards to user name and password a simple script on the first boot that also did a rename of the user/home directory with password change could be a neat thing? I understand that for these mini PCs there is some tweaking required so setting up a predefined user is required, but by using usermod for renaming user and the home folder, followed by passwd change request, then the experience of starting up with them is so much nicer...

andykirby wrote:We have ironed out a few common bugs and these will be issued in the form of a software update soon :-)

Looking forward to it!

A
leadermontanus

Postby julius » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:38 pm

I´ve been around this forums for a good while but only now with the release of mk802 iv LE I feel encouraged to post some important questions for me wich can determine if I could buy one of these babies:

1-Do this batch still have the internet antenna issue the previous batch have?
2-Is there aviable a WINE version or another way run .exe trhough this device?
3-Can work in monitor mode?

Thanks in advance.
julius

Postby andykirby » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 am

1-Do this batch still have the internet antenna issue the previous batch have?
2-Is there aviable a WINE version or another way run .exe trhough this device?
3-Can work in monitor mode?

1. No, the Antenna issue is sorted now.
2. Not at present, I think theres some work happening on an ARM port for WINE but theres nothing solid yet.
3. You mean wifi monitor mode? Yes I think it can.

Thanks!
andykirby
Site Admin

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK12 Quad Core Forum