NEW MK902II - SNEAK PREVIEW & PREORDER NOW

Forum to discuss the new Rikomagic MK36 Intel Baytrail Z3736 Mini Windows 8.1 and Android Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: NEW MK902II - SNEAK PREVIEW & PREORDER NOW

Postby terracota » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 pm

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum thing. I have never registered to a forum but, in this case, I really had to.

I have received the MK902II today after waiting for quiet a while and I am very disappointed by it.
I don't know what they did when they engineered this device but they did not do it the right way in my opinion.

Here is what I have found out (so far) :

- The RKM_Launcher is squashed on the screen. No way to read all the 'TABS' display.

- When using the Launcher3, or any other launcher, there is no status bar visible so no wayt to select Back, Home or any anything else.

- Under RKM_Launcher, the standard wallpaper is pulsating. It goes from backgorund to black to background and so on. Also, at that moment, the icons on the screen jump up and down. I have tried it with two other wallpapers and there, there is no problem.

- Using the wired network gives me verr very slow access to no access at all. Wifi seems to work at full speed.

- Audio does not work. The device is connected with the HDMI cable to my TV but no sound at all. The only way that I get sound is to use some BlueTooth speakers that I had laying around.

On the positive side, BlueTooth works :-)

So, these are my first impressions (after 4 hours of resetting, rebooting, retrying) and I thought I had to share them.
terracota

Postby vegarringdal » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Is it possible to get a clean, unrooted and unmodified android to this box?
Want some tv apps to work, need it to be clean.
Tun module is need though, need vpn for netflix.

Hope u get a chance to answer.
vegarringdal

Postby xtreo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:11 am

Hi,
main frequency of Cortex-A17 is up to 1.8 GHZ. But what is the frequency of each core? It is only 1.8 / 4 = 450 MHz? How strong is Cortex-A17 in single thread application?

I use overclocked single core Raspberry Pi on 950 MHz. Raspberry Pi streams HD live TV from USB DVB-S2 satellite tuner and CPU load is about 80 - 90 %. So it is on maximum possible load, but it is working. Streamserver is linux tvheadend.

Is possible stream HD TV with Cortex-A17 too?

Can someone compare real single thread performance between Cortex-A17 and Raspberry Pi?
xtreo

Postby xtreo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:44 am

What about USB ports? Has each port separate controller? Or MK902II has only one controller with USB HUB on board? It is important for copying data from one USB to other... How quick is copying through USB ports?
xtreo

Postby xtreo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:07 am

Has MK902II dedicated LAN port or it is shared with something else (for example with USB like on Raspberry Pi)? Has it real gigabit LAN? Can I realy copy file through LAN to first USB drive ~40MB/s and to second USB drive ~40MB/s at the same time?
xtreo

Postby ProstheticHead » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:50 pm

xtreo wrote:Hi,
main frequency of Cortex-A17 is up to 1.8 GHZ. But what is the frequency of each core? It is only 1.8 / 4 = 450 MHz? How strong is Cortex-A17 in single thread application?

I use overclocked single core Raspberry Pi on 950 MHz. Raspberry Pi streams HD live TV from USB DVB-S2 satellite tuner and CPU load is about 80 - 90 %. So it is on maximum possible load, but it is working. Streamserver is linux tvheadend.

Is possible stream HD TV with Cortex-A17 too?

Can someone compare real single thread performance between Cortex-A17 and Raspberry Pi?

Hi,
Each A17 core is running at 1.8GHz. It's single threaded performance will absolutely demolish the Raspberry Pi at 950MHz.

Not the same as real performance in any specific task, but gives some indication;
Raspberry Pi ARM11 processor = 1.2 DMIPS/MHz, @ 950MHz = 1140DMIPS
A17 single core = 4 DMIPS/MHz, @ 1800MHz = 7200DMIPS
... and if your application is multithreaded theoretically up to 28800DMIPS on the quad core.
ProstheticHead

Postby ProstheticHead » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Ok, so the hardware sounds like just what I need.

I'm looking forward to the linux version.
Will the linux version have working 2D and 3D accleration from the Mali GPU? (i.e. unlike the 802IV, where acceleration is missing due to secret drivers)
Will an up to date linux distro be supported?

Any news on when the linux version will be available and how much it will cost ?

(side note: seems unreasonable the LE devices cost more than android, given very mimimal support on the linux side from RKM so far - no GPU drivers, up to date OS images, etc...)

Thanks!
ProstheticHead

Postby xtreo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:22 am

Thank you for your answer. Hardware seems to be OK. I'm interesting in linux version and 2D + 3D acceleration on linux too.
xtreo

Postby trycage » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:55 pm

Got mine today. I had to update Google play manually downloading the apk. (the installed version didn't work properly)

Some glitches in the HDMI mode 1080p60hz had some artifacts I switched to 720p and then back . it fixed the problem.

Now my main issue is Netflix that does not play correctly. Movie hands frequently. Any ideas???

Thanks

Trycage
trycage

Postby andykirby » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Rikomagic has issued the following firmware update & tools for MK902II models.

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/downloads/fi ... _Tools.zip

The latest firmware addresses the following issues:

1. Fixed Ethernet issue
2. Support H.265
3. Fixed 720p display issue

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/downloads/firmware/MK902II/MK902II_140822.img

Thanks.
andykirby
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK36 Intel Baytrail Quad Core Forum