Linux for A10 Media PC - Ubuntu 12.10 Headless

Forum to discuss the A10 Media PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Linux for A10 Media PC - Ubuntu 12.10 Headless

Postby andykirby » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks to the very talented guillaume http://guillaumeplayground.net we now have an Ubuntu 12.10 headless image for the A10 Media PC.

This image is perfect if you want to:

Install Linux on the 8GB NAND of the A10 Media PC.
Turn your A10 Media PC into a highly power efficient mini Linux computer.
Have a dedicated device to run linux applications.
Use your A10 as a thin client.
Use your A10 as a torrent downloader, media server or much more.
Install XBMC.

Highlights of this image are

2GB SD card image that will boot the A10 Media PC to a Linux command prompt using HDMI 720P output.
Image boots in about 8 seconds and gives full access to an ubuntu 12.10 filesystem.
SSH server built in (all you need to do is connect the A10 to a network with DHCP and you can SSH right into it)
Includes a utility called PIMP_MY_MELE which allows you to change screen modes, install Linux to the NAND and set MAC addresses.
Latest Armhf Kernel + Modules with full support for ethernet,wifi, sound AND Mali graphics support (Xorg, DRI2)

Usage

http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/downloads/A10_Ubuntu_12.10_Headless.7z

Simply flash this image to a 2GB or more SD card, insert into the A10 Media PC, connect the A10 to a wired network with DHCP and power on. Please note its not compulsory to connect the A10 to a network but if you don't it will take longer to boot as you will have to wait for DHCP to time out.
When the A10 Media PC has successfully booted, the LED on the front of the device will flash quickly 3 times.

SSH

This image is configured to boot in 1280x720p HDMI mode. This can be changed by SSH'ing to the A10 Media PC and running the utility PIMP_MY_MELE - there are many display options!

To SSH to your successfully booted A10 first locate it on your network. You can check your routers control panel to find out its IP address or use a ping subnet command or app on your phone.

Once you know its IP address you can issue the following command from another Linux machine:

ssh root@<INSERT IP ADDRESS HERE>

The username for SSH is root
The password for SSH is root

You should then be logged into Ubuntu 12.10 and you can do anything you want, including running the tool PIMP_MY_MELE where you can choose to install Linux to the NAND, change screen mode etc etc.

You can check the NAND partitions by issuing the command fdisk -l
This will show you all disks in the system.
You can mount these with the command eg. mount /dev/<INSERT DISK NAME> /mnt
The disk will be mounted under /mnt

Installing Linux to NAND

Please note installing to NAND will erase the original Android partitions and then copy the contents of the SD card to the NAND, if you really want to do this but you are worried about bricking the device... DONT BE as it is impossible to brick the A10 Media PC. This is because it will always boot from an SD card you will always be able to recover the device in this way.

Simply Boot your A10 Media PC from the SD card you prepared earlier, login via ssh from another Linux machine or connect a display and keyboard to the A10 and issue the command: PIMP_MY_MELE
Select option 1 to install to NAND and follow the instructions. After installation is complete the installer will power down the device and you can then remove the SD card, reconnect the power and boot from the freshly prepared NAND.

Installing Lubuntu Desktop

The A10 Media PC will need a network connection in order to download Lubuntu desktop
You can install Lubuntu (or any other) Linux Desktop on the A10 Media PC's 8GB NAND Flash or to the SD card (you will need an SD card of around 8GB to do this)
To do this first boot your device from the NAND and login to ubuntu, then issue the command
apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
This will install the latest full version of Lubuntu which is just about light enough to run on the A10 Media PC. It will take a while to install and take 4-5GB.
When its finished you can reboot the device and login with

username user
password user

You can then access the Linux desktop, WiFi will self configure so you can easily set up wireless network connections etc.

Known Issues as of 15th Jan 2013

Currently the included image is configured for A10 Media PC's with 512MB RAM, there will soon be an update to enable the full 1GB for A10 Media PC's with 1GB Ram.
andykirby
Site Admin

Re: Linux for A10 Media PC - Ubuntu 12.10 Headless

Postby michal » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 pm

It's the first image I could see working on 512MB A10 media pc, I'm almost happy I can write that
- it runs pretty fast from class10 SD card (2GB image can be easily extended to 8 or 16 GB with (g)parted - ext3 partition with / partition is the last)
- playing audio over alsa works with mplayer like: mplayer -ao alsa=device=hw=1 ... (to use sound card sun4i-sndhdmi instead sun4i-CODEC); some funny beeps gets over HDMI when the box has connected ext. USB drive and gets under load (probably due to higher consumption?), after unconnecting the ext drive it stopped
- could not get hw acceleration working, I always see AIGLX as using swrast even I disabled it in ServerFlags section of xorg.conf what probably overruled acceleration provided by "mali" driver
michal

Postby andykirby » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:59 pm

re hardware acceleration, I failed also. It definitely possible though as others have done it... to quote Guillaume (http://guillaumeplayground.net/mele-a20 ... nstall-v1/)

"Mali uses GLX and xorg loads by default AIGLX… which makes DRI2 fail.

You have to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add a section “ServerFlags” with this option inside:
Option “AIGLX” “false”

It will explicitly disable AIGLX and let GLX load properly."
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby eliosn6989 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:52 pm

Known Issues as of 15th Jan 2013

Currently the included image is configured for A10 Media PC's with 512MB RAM, there will soon be an update to enable the full 1GB for A10 Media PC's with 1GB Ram.

any news about this update?
eliosn6989

Postby eliosn6989 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:33 am

any news about the 1GB Lubuntu update?

and there is a possibility to have an image with Lubuntu 12.10 GUI already installed? I don't know how to enable the wi-fi, so I can't execute correctly apt-get install lubuntu-desktop.
(i'm not using mk802, but a a10 android tablet )
eliosn6989

Postby andykirby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:47 pm

no news as yet.. the 512mb version is working well enough though. Others have done this so have a quick google around ;)

Best way to get up and running is to plug in an ethernet cable which will then connect you automatically to your network using DHCP. Then you can apt-get install lubuntu-desktop which will auto configure the wifi allowing you to set it up with a GUI.
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby eliosn6989 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 pm

About news 1GB version: maybe it is this? --> http://guillaumeplayground.net/mele-arm ... el-update/
eliosn6989

Postby xera121 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:11 am

Hi, I've downloaded the 1GB file (twice) but it will not unpack to reveal an iso image I can put on a MSD-card.I keep getting an error that the 7z file is not a valid archive - tried on Linux and Windoze.
Any ideas?
xera121

Postby mass » Thu May 30, 2013 7:47 pm

I have unzipped this file using WinRar so I have the .img image. Any suggestions on a simple application to use to burn this to an SD ?
mass

Postby jean.michel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:55 am

same i cannot unzip the file .7z i have downloaded twice under different computers
jean.michel

Next

Return to A10 Media PC Forum