Crash after Google Play Store update.

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Crash after Google Play Store update.

Postby Roger-H » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:11 pm

This has happened to me twice, and the only way I've been able to get my MK802 II back is by holding down the reset button while plugging it in.

I boot the machine, I go to Settings and add my Google Account. In the apps window, I select the Google Play Store. It offers to upgrade the store for me, I tell it yes. Then the screen goes black and I have to reset the machine again.

Any ideas?
Roger-H

Re: Crash after Google Play Store update.

Postby Roger-H » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:50 pm

Okay, through a long process of trial and error, I figured out that running the device in 1080p mode is not good for it. It overheats or something and just quits. So now I'm running it in the default video mode (720p, 60 hz). Since then, it's shut down maybe 2 or 3 times if I run multiple CPU-intensive programs in sequence like Google Earth, etc. I'm wondering if connecting it to the router via Ethernet and shutting down the wireless might help. It's a temperamental device.
Roger-H

Postby batrarobin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:09 am

Hi Roger-H,

I am also experiencing the same "blanking" problems, the device simply goes blank after about 30-40 minutes of using. and I have also noticed that it happens only when you are doing some CPU intensive task e.g. streaming a video from home network etc. When the black screen happens, the TV still indicates that it is connected to a 1080p source (it doesn't say "no signal"), but the screen is just blank.

In my case, switching down to lower resolution 720p didn't help either - the device crashes no matter what.

I have also tried these solutions as suggested in other threads :

(1) Reduce the resolution/frequency to lower values.
(2) Power up the device using AC adapter (and NOT USB)

The next thing I am going to try is to change the HDMI cable, as someone suggested it might be a faulty cable.

Please let me know if you happen to find its solution anywhere, as I am in the same boat as you.
batrarobin

Postby Roger-H » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 pm

For now I've set it aside. I was powering it via an AC adapter, not a USB port. I will try a different HDMI cable, though.

I've been reading a lot about the device overheating when you ask it to do too much, no matter what display resolution you've chosen. I think that's what we're running into here.

For those of you using the Lubuntu image on this, is the hardware as flaky as it is with Android?
Roger-H

Postby AramiS » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Just use a higher rated (1A/1000mA) power supply
AramiS

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum