stream media over LAN

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

stream media over LAN

Postby pennst26 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:31 pm

Hi Everyone. New MK802 owner here.

I bought this as a cheap replacement for a WD media player that died on me. I wanted it primarily to stream movies on my network, but thought the other features would be useful as well.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell this isn't possible on the device. I run a linux server hosting SMB shares and they are accessible on my other media players and windows machines.
When I try to access them in the mk802 file manager is says error no permission.

I installed some apps for smb and ftp.... they access the files fine, but will only transfer them them to the mk802, not play them.

Has anyone had any success streaming media to this device?

I feel like I wasted some cash on this if it's not possible.
pennst26

Re: stream media over LAN

Postby mrspin » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:48 am

I would advise to use a upnp server infrastructure like twonky on a pc/NAS device, then use a upnplay client such as bubbleupnp to present the media collection to the android media player such as MX Player.

I have a similar device to the MK802 v2 and my infrastructure is this:

1. Twonky running on a HP Microserver, along with NPVR for TV needs
2. bubbleupnp on my android device
3. mx player which is launched from the bubble app.

My set up works fine without problems but you need a fast WIFI network/connection for the HD type media.

You can use xbmc too but no hardware acceleration currently for Allwinner CPU-based products currently.
mrspin

Postby lymon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:27 pm

took me a while but I've got it working pretty well now on my MK802II over a WIFI connection.

I use it daily to watch movies or listen music "streamed" (as in opened directly) from my network shares

I'm using:
-ES file explorer browsing/opening the files.
It's a great (free) filemanager with many options and it's one of the few filemanagers that can browse and open files from SMB shares without any additional software....and has a built in audio/media player for audio files, which works great with MP3's or other audio files on your network.

-BS player lite for playing AVI, WMV

-standard/included TVD video player for MP4 files

I only haven't found a way to (automatically) hide the status-bar when using BS player.
GMD hidebar seems to work (though you have to start it manually) and it often happens the bar re-appears again after a few minutes.
The standard TVD player hides the bar automatically

-Eric
lymon

Postby stevhorn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:33 pm

This is what worked for me: (on a mac, but it should work on Linux)

1. Install ES File Explorer from the Play store.
2. Setup up your Samba server to allow a guest account without a password
3. Setup your Samba shares for guest access with read/write privileges
4. Configure a new server in ES File Explorer with your new guest account.
5. Install MX Player from the Play store

Good luck
stevhorn

Postby Britman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:23 pm

I've not my Riko yet but on my tab I use an app called MediaHouse. With it I can select my server (running WHS2011) and stream music/pictures and movies to whatever player I have installed. not sure if it works with your setup but it's worth a try.
Britman

Postby Shainsaw » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:53 pm

What quality are you guys able to stream with your setups? I dont any reason why I should not be able to stream 1080p mkv over wifi with 25Mbps connection. I must be doing something wrong..
Shainsaw

Postby vafnord » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:52 pm

I have been very disappointed with the performance of this item in streaming video, I hope someone here can advise me. We had been using a hacked Wii to stream video to our TV. The MK802 II is right next to where the Wii is located, so the wifi signal should be about the same, but it won't stream anything properly, it just loads and loads. I was able to get some stuff to play from Google Play Movies, but it was also frequently interrupted by buffering. I have tried UPNPlay + MX Player, ES file explorer with the SMB share mounted and then played with MX player. Even YouTube is unwatchably slow. Any advice for me other than "move your router"?
vafnord

Postby evogel » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:56 pm

I use the ES File Explorer to play videos I've recorded to my NAS from my MediaCenter PC. I am very pleased.
evogel

Postby evogel » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 pm

I installed the ES File Explorer from Google Play. It works very well. I record television to my NAS using MediaCenter, and MCE Buddy to take out the commercials. ES File Explorer plays them very well, and allows me to delete them from the NAS after I've watched the program. I'm very pleased.
evogel

Postby Bolle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:15 pm

My media content is on a NAS attached via WLan.

My experience is as follows:

- with ES-Player and TVDvideo performance of HD material is bad to unviewable.
- with Skifta and TVDvideo the performace of HD material is great.
Bolle

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum