Firmware Versions Reviewed (wifi chipset 8188)

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Firmware Versions Reviewed (wifi chipset 8188)

Postby redpotatoes » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 pm

After getting my MK802II unit and noticing there were some problems with it, I decided to test few firmwares to see if it would solve the issue. In this thread, I will mention the issue I had with the versions I tested. Let's start with the original version that came with the unit. If someone can send me that original firmware since I cannot get it anywhere.

20121120 - This version was the original version that came with the unit.(Haven't been able to find the .img online anywhere)
OTG port working.
Issues:
Google play was not able to install most of the applications I tried. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it failed. Try multiple thing without success.(Package is invalid)

Firmware I tested:

OTG port working
Wifi working on 8188 wifi chipset.
Remote app install by default.
Skype is working.
Issues:
Google play was not able to install most of the applications I tried. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it failed. Try multiple thing without success.(Package is invalid)

OTG port working.
Issues:
Wifi is OFF. Not able to make it work

OTG port working.
Issues:

XW-I8
Comes in chinese by default. I was able to see the neighbors networks. Date of the build is 20120929. Runs for my 8188 network chipset.
OTG port working.
Issues:
Here is the download link.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/xmetzd

Uhost 20121024
Issues:
OTG port not working. Need to use a USB hub to connect other USB.
Slow network

Mele firmware A10 neutral version 2013010
OTG port working.
Work properly for the applications, tried it for about 30 minutes. Prefer the XW-I8. It crash once. (shutdown without reasons).
Issues:
Network seems slow. Takes a while to get an ip.
Google play was not able to install most of the applications I tried. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it failed. Try multiple thing without success. (Package is invalid)

Hope this helps some of you.
Last edited by redpotatoes on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 13 times in total.
redpotatoes

Re: Firmware Versions Reviewed

Postby danyrolux » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:22 am

redpotatoes wrote:After getting my MK802II unit and noticing there were some problems with it, I decided to test few firmwares to see if it would solve the issue. In this thread, I will mention the issue I had with the versions I tested. Let's start with the original version that came with the unit.

20121120 - This version was the original version that came with the unit.
Issues:
Google play was not able to install most of the applications I tried. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it failed. Try multiple thing without success.

Issues:

Issues:

Uhost 20121024
Issues:
UPNP access is slow, network is fair, OTG port not working. Need to use a USB hub to connect other USB.

Ramdom version I got on the internet on a chinese site.
Comes in chinese by default. It is the best version I tested so far. I was able to see the neighbors networks. Date of the build is 20120929.

Here is my review of the firmware I tested so far. I might make a new .img of that last firmware and change few things in it. Hope it helps some of you.

Thank you redpotatoes for your review, and yes, we want that .img file to test your version.
Try this firmware and share with us your impression - http://touchscreen-apps.blogspot.ro/2012/12/uhost-firmware-on-rikomagic-mk802-ii.html
danyrolux

Postby redpotatoes » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 am

I already tried the version you posted which is uhost20121024.
redpotatoes

Postby xlaxplaya » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Right now I'm using a newer version of the firmware posted in this thread by user Bnaya:
Bnaya wrote:They send me this:
Dear Sir,

No need the server, Just update to this fw.
http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/gcq5j6
There is a update method together.

And then install the APK, follow the instruction attached.

It comes with Rikomagic's Remote Client Server app already installed, and so far I haven't had any problems with it, though I haven't tried out the DLNA functions yet. the firmware version is supposedly 20121208, although in my system settings it says 20121205. If I'm correct in assuming that the firmware numbers correspond to dates, then this is the newest firmware version that I've seen thus far.
xlaxplaya

Postby Adainair II » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:01 pm

xlaxplaya wrote:Right now I'm using a newer version of the firmware posted in this thread by user Bnaya:
It comes with Rikomagic's Remote Client Server app already installed, and so far I haven't had any problems with it,

Did you try Skype?
Adainair II

Postby xlaxplaya » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Adainair II wrote:
xlaxplaya wrote:Right now I'm using a newer version of the firmware posted in this thread by user Bnaya:
It comes with Rikomagic's Remote Client Server app already installed, and so far I haven't had any problems with it,

Did you try Skype?

Nope. The only things I tried were the browser, Netflix, and the remote control app. Now I'm having problems with the MK802ii's boot sector messing up every time I boot it up with an SD card. But I've had this issue with several different firmware versions, not just the version I posted. I'm trying to reflash right now.
xlaxplaya

Postby tomboc73 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:47 am

Presently it seems really the newest one.
Anyone able to check fast how this compares to Uhost?

tom
tomboc73

Postby redpotatoes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Adainair II wrote:

Did you try Skype?

In the version I am running, I was able to install skype (with the .apk)
redpotatoes

Postby Adainair II » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:55 pm

Probably you did not make a video call ?
Adainair II

Postby xlaxplaya » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:30 am

Adainair II wrote:Probably you did not make a video call ?

As far as I can tell, Skype is irrelevant because there's no way to input audio or video to the MK802II. I tried using a USB audio adapter, but the output was terrible, and the input was nonexistent. I also tried plugging in my Blue Snowball USB mic and camera, and I couldn't get any audio input from that either. Unless there's a way I haven't thought of, or a version of the firmware that supports USB audio/video.
xlaxplaya

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum