Booting with microSD card installed causing problems

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Booting with microSD card installed causing problems

Postby xlaxplaya » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Every time I boot with the microSD card installed it won't do anything or output any video, although the blue light comes on, and stays on. I'm guessing this is because it tries to re-flash the firmware, which screws up the boot sequence, because then after I remove the SD card I have the same issue until I reflash the firmware myself. This has happened three times. I have re-formatted the card every time after using it to install new firmware, but for some reason I still can't boot with an empty microSD card installed. I could just always remove the SD card when booting, but that's pretty inconvenient. Has anybody else had similar problems?
xlaxplaya

Re: Booting with microSD card installed causing problems

Postby Adainair II » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Try SDFormatter and option Full OverWrite. I thinks it's help me once.
Adainair II

Postby danyrolux » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:29 am

xlaxplaya wrote:Every time I boot with the microSD card installed it won't do anything or output any video, although the blue light comes on, and stays on. I'm guessing this is because it tries to re-flash the firmware, which screws up the boot sequence, because then after I remove the SD card I have the same issue until I reflash the firmware myself. This has happened three times. I have re-formatted the card every time after using it to install new firmware, but for some reason I still can't boot with an empty microSD card installed. I could just always remove the SD card when booting, but that's pretty inconvenient. Has anybody else had similar problems?

Solution: if this microSD card was used to install the firmware and was prepared with Phoenix Card Tool, you must use Phoenix Card tool again and use the function 'format to normal' to delete the boot hiden partition and recover the space. I guess that right now the microSD card is bootable and at every start-up it automatically install the firmware again, and again...
danyrolux

Postby xlaxplaya » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:29 am

Well I reformatted it with Windows, but I guess I'll try it with the Pheonix program. Thanks.

EDIT: I used PhoenixCard's "format to normal" option, but it didn't even erase a folder that was on the SD card (LOST.DIR, which I think is a hidden file put on there by my android phone), so I didn't even try booting with it because I didn't trust it. I'm using SDFormatter right now to do a full overwrite, and it's taking a long time, but I'll update again after it's done.

EDIT 2: Success! It boots up just fine now.
xlaxplaya

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum