Cyanogenmod 10 Unofficial Targetted Builds for the MK802II

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, tatubias, twjordo

Cyanogenmod 10 Unofficial Targetted Builds for the MK802II

Postby servili007 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Do not copy this thread or the links within. Please link directly to this post instead.

What is this?

These are my source built Cyanogenmod 10 (4.1.X) roms tailored to the mk802ii (and possibly uHost U1A). Instead of attempting to create generic compatibility patches and code, this is going to be streamlined as much as possible to work with the mk802ii with as little excess baggage as possible.

Why do I need it?

Many of the stock android roms available either feel incomplete or are targetted at a different platform/country. Cyanogenmod is tried and true and will continuously improve over time.

What makes it "Unofficial"?

The code is not approved to move upstream to be merged with the official code.

What do I need in order to install it?

A 2gb or larger micro SD card that you're willing to wipe clean and an MK802II.

What works?

Most of the basic functionality that you would expect to find in an android rom.
Hotpluggable USB bluetooth, though you may occasionally need to reboot after several hotplugs.

What doesn't work?

Youtube
UVC webcams (in progress)
Possibly USB based audio devices (in progress)
Proprietary settings found in the stock roms. (including the ability to set the resolution. We are currently hardcoded to 720p50 and I will release flashable zips soon as an easy workaround until settings are properly implemented.)
Many, many other things (let me know in this thread!)

RTL8188eu wireless? Please test this if you know that you have this chipset so that I can implement a fix if necessary.

Who do I thank?

All of the wonderful developers with the android open source project, the Cyanogenmod Team, and everyone who has contributed to the linux-sunxi and allwinner-dev-team code.

Okay, how do I install it?

First, we're going to reset your MK802II to a factory state from which we can install CM10 while retaining some portions of the bootloader and more. Linux users should be able to dd the images directly to their SD card.

Download PhoenixCard - mirror - http://rapidshare.com/files/4114788362/ ... 120302.zip
    Download the stock 10/31 rikomagic image - mirror - http://rapidshare.com/files/182625799/MK802II1031.zip
    Extract both into a folder, and connect your SD card to your PC.
    Open PhoenixCard.exe within its folder and select your disk. If the program is graying out the "Burn" button, go into device manager and manually disable any other card readers on your system (but not the SD card reader).
    Select the stock image (it should have an img extension, not zip) and click "Burn" to write it to your SD card. This will delete any data currently on your card.
    Once the burn is completed, properly eject the SD card in Windows and remove it from your computer.
    Insert the card into your (turned off) MK802II and power it on. Don't touch it for up to 10 minutes. Once the LED light shuts off, the image write is complete.
    Remove the SD card and power on the MK802II

Okay, now you've got a fresh image on your MK802II. Go ahead and boot it up once to ensure that everything is working and then proceed to install CM10.

Insert the SD card back into your PC.
    Download Win32 Disk Imager here - https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download You want the binary, not the source
    Download the CM10 All in One installer image - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21925085/MK802II_CM10_CWM.zip - or - http://rapidshare.com/files/3670912907/ ... 10_CWM.zip
    Extract both zips to an appropriate location and open Win32 Disk Imager within its folder.
    In the top right corner of the application, select your SD card's drive letter (do not mess this up or you will erase one of your other drives).
    Select the CM10 image (it should have an img extension, not zip) and hit the write button.
    Let the process run through, and once it is complete, safely eject the SD card once more.
    Insert the card into your (turned off) MK802II and power it up. You should be greeted with the CWM recovery menu.
    Standard Keymap for this CWM is up arrow = up, down arrow = down, enter = select, esc = back
    DO NOT USE THE STANDARD DATA WIPE/FACTORY RESET OPTION, IT WILL ERASE THE SD CARD. If you do, start over from the beginning of this section.
    Go into the mounts and storage menu, and wipe your cache, data, and system. Go back and enter the advanced menu, and wipe your Dalvik Cache.
    Return to the main CWM menu and select "Install zip from SD card" followed by "choose zip" and then install the CM10 All in One package.
    Once that completes, return to the zip selection menu and install the gapps package.
    Now return to the main menu and remove your SD card, then reboot. The card CANNOT be in the slot or CM10 will not boot. If things seem to be hanging at a black screen, power off the device and turn it back on (always without the SD card).
    Enjoy the sight of the boot up logo and give it some time to start. A lot of processes are running during your first boot, so give your system time to settle in. If the device appears to hang (even for 5-10 minutes) during this first use, wait for it to respond, it almost always comes back to life.

Future updates will be much easier. CWM has been installed in this process and will the be the platform from which you will install future updates.

Now what?

Here are some suggested tweaks to apply that I have not yet made the default in the rom -

Disable the Lock Screen in Settings -> Lock screen.
    Disable the Battery Meter and Enable hiding the Combined Bar in Settings -> System -> Status Bar.
    Disable auto-rotation and set your inactivity timeout to 30 minutes in Settings -> Display.
    Use an app such as "Holo Reboot" in the market to replicate your old shutdown options, or use "reboot -p" in the terminal emulator.
    A couple of other applications can replace on screen buttons and other features that you may have become accustomed to in the stock roms.

Changelog

1-16-2013
    Initial Alpha Release

Can I buy you a beer?

Please realize that while I am bringing you an end product, there are many, many other people to acknowledge for their work before me. If you understand that and still want to buy me a beer for this comparatively small amount of work, you can PM me for my details.
Last edited by servili007 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 19 times in total.
servili007

Re: Cyanogenmod 10 Unofficial Targetted Builds for the MK802

Postby servili007 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Second Post Reserved.
servili007

Postby Magnus33 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:57 am

Unfortunately no one can download any of those things because links are no longer good.
Magnus33

Postby kjacek » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:15 am

Hi, could you refresh links? Non of them doesen't work...
kjacek

Postby servili007 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:54 pm

Sure, I will try to have more mirrors up shortly.

Edit - I've added a dropbox link, which hopefully will not have its bandwidth exhausted too quickly as well. The files I haven't mirrored are available elsewhere online so I haven't bothered.
servili007

Postby Magnus33 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 pm

Installed easily and runs smoothly.
Display output on 720 plasma is off or in other words it alittle too large.
Whoops had overscan on...lol

No real issues run across yet.
Magnus33

Postby Magnus33 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Video playback for the most part is not working which tends to explain youtube.

Can get dvd's and avi to work through xmbc but hs video stutter more then a drunk Lindsy lohan.
Magnus33

Postby race idiot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:27 pm

Nice work op 8-) i'm assuming hw video decoding isnt working yet?
race idiot

Postby Xylexis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi there,
First of all great work on the CM10 release for the MK802ii, maybe I wont have to upgrade my device after all.
I just installed it on my MK802ii and it works like a charm, but I have one question.
I'm using a USB ethernet adapter to wire my mk802ii to my network, and I can't find the ethernet options anymore in the settings.
Did you remove it, or not add it in this release? And if so how can we add support for USB lan devices?
Thanks in advance for the help. Keep up the good work!!!
Xylexis

Postby danyrolux » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:02 pm

Very, very nice servili007, we all should buy you a beer!
Thank you very much for this Rom, it is awesome indeed, this is superb for an alpha release.
I also put here and mirror for the Rom and a video tutorial - http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot.ro/2013/01/how-to-install-cyanogenmod-10-rom-on.html
Regards!
danyrolux

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum