What is my MK802 model?

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

What is my MK802 model?

Postby Otto » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am

Hi.
I'm new to MK802 (mine arrived today). Since I'm having trouble with video play (MKV without sound, subtitles special characters messed) and also with Wifi, I thought it would be wise to update the firmware (if not, please let me know).

But then, how do I find which is my MK802 model? The case says only MINI PC for Android 4.0.

Thanks.
Otto

Re: What is my MK802 model?

Postby Isdenl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:37 pm

You have a clone, "gray market", "ghost shift, "counterfeit" item. It's not an authentic Rikomagic MK802 II. Probably made in the same factory, by the same crew, but using different components.

If you're curious as to why this happens, read this fascinating blog post by an engineer who works with these Chinese factories. http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=2794

The MK802 II clones I've had (and I've had quite a few) have different WiFi chips and generally do not seem as stable. Because of the different WiFi chip, they won't run most of the official Rikomagic firmwares properly. While the firmwares will usually install and run, Rikomagic ROM's do not include drivers for the clone's WiFI chip. This means WiFi will turn itself off almost immediately.

My recommendation is to send it back for a full refund. If you purchased it from an Amazon vendor, contact the vendor immediately and ask for an authentic Rikomagic. If the vendor doesn't respond, contact Amazon for an A to Z refund.

Many of the Amazon vendors are shipping clone units unless you demand an authentic unit. The good news is if you contact them in advance of an order and ask for an authentic unit, many of them will send an authentic Rikomagic unit.

Authentic units:
Come in boxes with white fronts and a rainbow color swirl.
The box says Rikomagic in silver writing on the front and also has Rikomagic written on the back.
Rikomagic is silk screened onto the front of the device and there is a Rikomagic UPC sticker on the back of the device.
Ship with a short USB OTG adapter (not a cable)

Clone units:
Usually come in green boxes with the Android logo.
Don't say Rikomagic anywhere on the box
Do not have Rikomagic silk screened onto the actual device.
Do not have a RIkomagic UPC on the back of the device.
Usually ship with a USB OTG cable (not the shorter adapter)
Have a different WiFI chip, so WiFi is not functional with most Rikomagic firmwares.
Last edited by Isdenl on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isdenl

Re: What is my MK802 model?

Postby Otto » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:42 am

I guess you're right. The box looks like exactly as you described.

Thanks.
Otto

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum