Unbranded MK802

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Unbranded MK802

Postby bkvaluemeal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:37 am

I recently bought a second unit, I like these things a lot. I have one that is in a white box with the Rikomagic logo on it, Rikomagic is printed on the case, on the manual, etc. The unit I just purchased doesn't say Rikomagic at all. I can't find any manufacturer anywhere. The new one is in a green box and looks nothing like the official unit. Did I get ripped off? What should I do?

New Unit
bkvaluemeal

Re: Unbranded MK802

Postby Isdenl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:59 am

(I posted this in another thread - there should probably be a sticky regarding "Clone" MK802 II units. They are flooding the market so thoroughly that it's actually become quite difficult to obtain a legitimate Rikomagic MK802 II, at least in the US. Most Amazon vendors are advertising the Rikomagic products, but shipping these inferior clones.)

You have a clone, "gray market", "ghost shift, "counterfeit" item. It's not an authentic Rikomagic MK802 II. Probably made in the same factory, by the same crew, but using different components.

If you're curious as to why this happens, read this fascinating blog post by an engineer who works with these Chinese factories. http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=2794

The MK802 II clones I've had (and I've had quite a few) have different WiFi chips and generally do not seem as stable. Because of the different WiFi chip, they won't run most of the official Rikomagic firmwares properly. While the firmwares will usually install and run, Rikomagic ROM's do not include drivers for the clone's WiFI chip. This means WiFi will turn itself off almost immediately. Additionally, I've found these clones be less stable than the legitimate units. I don't know the why, there aren't a lot of good hardware testing apps for Android. Perhaps due to overheating or bad RAM, perhaps because the clones use rejected components. Whatever the reason, the clones definitely seem to be inferior products.

My recommendation is to send it back for a full refund. If you purchased it from an Amazon vendor, contact the vendor immediately and ask for an authentic Rikomagic. If the vendor doesn't respond, contact Amazon for an A to Z refund.

Many of the Amazon vendors are shipping clone units unless you demand an authentic unit. The good news is if you contact them in advance of an order and ask for an authentic unit, many of them will send an authentic Rikomagic unit.

Authentic units:
Come in boxes with white fronts and a rainbow color swirl.
The box says Rikomagic in silver writing on the front and also has Rikomagic written on the back.
Rikomagic is silk screened onto the front of the device and there is a Rikomagic UPC sticker on the back of the device.
Ship with a short USB OTG adapter (not a cable)

Clone units:
Usually come in green boxes with the Android logo.
Don't say Rikomagic anywhere on the box
Do not have Rikomagic silk screened onto the actual device.
Do not have a RIkomagic UPC on the back of the device.
Usually ship with a USB OTG cable (not the shorter adapter)
Have a different WiFI chip, so WiFi is not functional with most Rikomagic firmwares.
Isdenl

Postby Isdenl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:05 am

bkvaluemeal wrote:I recently bought a second unit, I like these things a lot. I have one that is in a white box with the Rikomagic logo on it, Rikomagic is printed on the case, on the manual, etc. The unit I just purchased doesn't say Rikomagic at all. I can't find any manufacturer anywhere. The new one is in a green box and looks nothing like the official unit. Did I get ripped off? What should I do?

New Unit

If the unit you received looks like the image above, you weren't even "lucky" enough to get a clone MK802 II. It appears you've been shipped a clone of the original MK802. The original MK802 had a lot of issues, not the least of which was severe overheating. They also had half the RAM.

Yes, you've been ripped off. Demand a refund.
Isdenl

Postby bkvaluemeal » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 pm

The box looks like that, the thing itself does not. Amazon refunded me the entire amount and even gave me overnight shipping! Hopefully I'll get what I paid for this time.
bkvaluemeal

Postby Isdenl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:08 pm

bkvaluemeal wrote:The box looks like that, the thing itself does not. Amazon refunded me the entire amount and even gave me overnight shipping! Hopefully I'll get what I paid for this time.

Then you got an MK802 II clone.

There actually are a few Amazon vendors selling genuine Rikomagic MK802 II units. If you contact the Amazon vendor in advance of a purchase and ask them specifically if you will receive a genuine Rikomagic unit, many will ship you a genuine unit. Silverstone LLC currently has the best price, and they have been known to ship legitimate units, but most recent buyers have been getting fakes from them.

I really don't know why Rikomagic doesn't shut down the sales of these fakes. All they have to do is make a test purchase from the vendors and Amazon will delist the vendor. Rikomagic is dropping the ball, it's very hard to purchase a genuine Rikomagic unit.
Isdenl

Postby bkvaluemeal » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Hmm, well that's funny. Silverstone LLC sold me a clone, but it's all good now. The real thing came in.
bkvaluemeal

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum