MK802ii wifi problem (yes, another one...)

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

MK802ii wifi problem (yes, another one...)

Postby DanSolo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi all. I'm new to the MK802 but I see Wifi is a recurring theme on this forum!
Anyway, my "symptoms" are that I seem to be getting a bar or two of signal strength (not great I know), but I can never connect to the router. I put in the password and then it gets to "Obtaining IP". After a few seconds it just seems to give up and goes back to "Saved, secured with WPA" and never tries again to connect.
What should I try first here to fix this?
I'm hoping it's not an antenna mod as I seem to be getting at least a little signal!
Thanks.
DanSolo

Re: MK802ii wifi problem (yes, another one...)

Postby Cxb452 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:45 am

I have the same problem. I just received mine and plugged it in and the unit wil recognize the network, but has trouble obtaining an IP address. Everything else in my house works just fine except for this. I can't see how it's an antenna issue since the signal is excellent but rather some software issue.
Cxb452

Postby DanSolo » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 am

Hi again all,
I tried the fixed IP solution that worked for some people, but it was no help really.
My router never gives much signal though, so I got in a WiFi repeater which gives full signal bars on the MK802ii, and it went straight to connected in seconds from boot up. (you can tell most easily from the correct clock time which is taken from the network).
Unfortunately the speeds are still very bad. I tried downloading Firefox from the Play store and a 20Mb download took nearly 15 minutes. I can watch Youtube on low quality settings OK after a few seconds of buffering, but HQ seems out of the question. Plus I have to use the Youtube app, it never plays any video through the browser. I also tried to stream some sports through Flash and it never even started, even though my Android phone (a cheap Chinese 1Ghz dual core) streamed the exact same thing perfectly at the same location as the MK802ii.
Very disappointed with the speed, which makes the stick mostly unusable. I'll try it again to see if this is a hit and miss thing or permanent before I look at new ROMs. Not sure which ROM I'm on at the moment.
BTW, I'm on USB power from the TVs USB port. The unit seems fairly fast with everything else, e.g. games and 720p files, so it's definitely just a WiFi issue.
DanSolo

Postby penmats » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I have faced similar issues, below is how I resolved them

For DC power input to rikomagic mk802iii, try using 1A instead of 0.5 A that comes out of TV.
Here what I mean is ,you might need to give higher amps to your mk802iii.

In my case I used my mobile charger output(5V ,1A) for feeding the required DC power to MK802III.
This fixed the youtube issue where I am previously unable to play high quality videos.

For better wifi connectivity, I placed my router in convenient position to my mk802iii.

Hope the above suggestions helps you
penmats

Postby pete_l » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:22 am

Cxb452 wrote:I have the same problem. I just received mine and plugged it in and the unit wil recognize the network, but has trouble obtaining an IP address. Everything else in my house works just fine except for this. I can't see how it's an antenna issue since the signal is excellent but rather some software issue.

I can reliably turn my MK806B from having a fast, reliable WiFi connection into a slow stumbling dog. The trick is to go into Settings->Screen and change the HDMI mode from its default of 1280x720p to 1920x1080p. This is guaranteed to immediately kill the WiFi speed , right down to 20-30kBps. Returning the HDMI mode to the default brings the WiFi speed back to normal.
Since this happens immediately, I do not believe it's a heat problem. It could be a power supply issue - though I'm powering the MK806B from an external (supposedly) 2A mains supply.

From my slight knowledge of RF circuitry, I'm inclined to think that the issue is to do with power-line decoupling or poor noise filtering inside the dongle. However I can't prove this, but if I was designing this device and had that problem, that's the first place I'd look.
pete_l

Postby mbarbiero » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 am

Look here: http://www.squidoo.com/mk802-troublesho ... e161732143

Works for me!!!

Good luck :D :D :D :D
mbarbiero

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum