Plex and MK802 devices.

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Plex and MK802 devices.

Postby Magnus33 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 am

The plex android client installs without issue and runs with no problem.

For your standard sd tv shows and movies the mk802 devices work fine and can playback without issues.
For Hd movies the mk802 devices show there short comings as a media playback device.

Either do to lack of optimizations with the allwinner chipset or just a lack of horsepower you tend to get micro stuttering.
This is regardless of the settings in plex itself.

There also the lack of audio output options which isn't a huge deal if your running it through tv speakers or a receiver that can up-convert the audio to other outputs.

It would seem that the mk802 and mk802II just dont quite have the power to work as a media server correctly.

Whats your thoughts.
Magnus33

Re: Plex and MK802 devices.

Postby Magnus33 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:07 am

Ok after messing with ever setting i decided to just set the bandwidth to its max of 20 for the hell of it.

Totally counter intuitive but i figured why not tried everything else and it count hurt.

Suddenly everything plays perfect !!! :shock:

I shouldn't have issues with lower settings if the max works but it seems anything less simply doesn't work correctly where this device is concerned.

Very odd.
Magnus33

Postby Xylexis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:44 pm

It is not so odd, considering that selecting a lower bandwidth requires the hardware to to more compression. Settings the bandwith to max is like saying just throw it on the line without doing anything like compression.
Xylexis

Postby Magnus33 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:03 am

If the server pc is under powered yes but the client isn't dealing with with compression and the like.
It merely needs to stream whats given and nothing more.

Or that suppose to be the way it works but i suspect plex still has issues with transcoding and its either messing the job up or asking the client to do more then its suppose to.

Either way iam not complaining since it works and it looks its best at the highest settings.
Magnus33

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum