MK802 ii as home media center

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

MK802 ii as home media center

Postby laviritel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi everybody!
in the first - sorry for my English.

I have problem with my mk802 ii. It runs Lubuntu provided by Rikomagic. I install transmission-daemon, samba server and MiniDLNA server. Also i have 2.5 external hdd (it's old hdd with ide connection type) connected to my mk802. Everything is fine until I start to watch movies on my Samsung TV over DLNA, my mk802 hangs up or lose network connection every ~15 -20 min. To restore possibility connect to my mk802 i need to phisicaly turn off mk and power on it again, but after ~15-20 this situation is repeated.

External HDD require additional power, basicly it has 2-headed USB cable, one usb plug iplug-in to my mk802 the second into power adapter. My mk802 runs on power adapter with output: 5.0V and 2.0A

How can I prevent this problem. I realy need a small DLNA server for my home network. Can somebody help me?
laviritel

Re: MK802 ii as home media center

Postby Magnus33 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 am

Use plex its free http://www.plexapp.com/getplex/index.php

The client for the android software isn't but the desktop software is free.

I would suggest you install plex on your desktop and point it at the shares you want to use.

Use the plex client in android with Uhost U1A-404.000.10.121024 firmware found here http://touchscreen-apps.blogspot.ro/201 ... place.html rather then linux which has iffy wireless support.

The plex client for android is 5 bucks and lets you connect to the plex server on your desktop.

You can set plex to its max bandwidth settings of 20 Mbps and if your Mk802II can't deal with the bitrate of the movie it shall transcode it on the fly to make sure playback is smooth.

Its how mine is setup and everything plays perfectly and very smooth.
Magnus33

Postby beppogg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:23 am

i've tried plex and is not completely happy about the transcoding feature (3-20mbps) and when i use direct play it does not include the subtitle file. i found the archos video player and use mx player with that. it works fine with my files on the computer (smb) and it also downloads subtitles for me that mx player uses. it has a beautiful interface and is free on google play!

/johan
beppogg

Postby Magnus33 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Plex downloads subtitles to now.

Yeah there no perfect solution as there no perfect device but for me plex and that android work great.

Also a person has to take into account the hardware in between such as routers and nas.

My routers a RT N56u which has a insane amount of bandwidth.
Magnus33

Postby myforumid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:20 am

What do you watch with plex, besides hulu and local files?

I find i have to set my bitrate at a low 300kb, though my road runner has 10mbps

Possibly since i have 10+ devices currently

Pc on a stick is interesting... Any other apps/games i should have?
myforumid

Postby beppogg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:59 am

i know that plex downloads subs and i like that feature 'cause it does that in the background as soon as a file is updated in the library, but it downloads via plex mediaserver and the only time i can use that subtitle is when i transcode the file. i want to use direct play and then plex can't fetch the sub.

or does plex for android download subs to the rikomagic as well? if so it must be a new feature…
beppogg

Postby laviritel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 am

Hello!

Thanks for Your replies!

Yesterday I tryied MiniDLNA with USD-TO-ETHERNET adapter, it's work for me fine. My MK802 didn't have any problems with large .mkv FullHD files. Today I am going to try another HD rips, after that i'll make anoter post
laviritel

Postby myforumid » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:03 pm

I have a Mac Mini and it would not run plex very well, i got video on my android PC stick but it did not play worth a darn so instead I'm using splashtop up I think it works better, the version I used had an option to reduce lag as there's a bit of lag on the audio compared to video but basically I just mirror my mac screen. I think they call it a vnc software
myforumid

Postby fighterz » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:01 am

myforumid wrote:I have a Mac Mini and it would not run plex very well, i got video on my android PC stick but it did not play worth a darn so instead I'm using splashtop up I think it works better, the version I used had an option to reduce lag as there's a bit of lag on the audio compared to video but basically I just mirror my mac screen. I think they call it a vnc software

Indeed, but I wouldn't want to see it.
fighterz

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum