Linux for MK802 II ?

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Linux for MK802 II ?

Postby r28073 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Hello

Is there anyone working on a Linux image for MK802II?

Thanks
r28073

Re: Linux for MK802 II ?

Postby sehgal.v7 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:36 am

I tried Lubuntu image in this forum, it worked fine.
sehgal.v7

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes, a number of people have used the same MK802 images for the II. DId you run into a problem with one of them?
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby andykirby » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:22 pm

I havent personally had a chance to test this yet...to busy! i'm flashing Rikomagic Mk802 Lubuntu Linux right now. Has anyone noticed anything different? faster/slower also I'm interested to know if "shutdown/suspend" etc works on the II considering its got the power regulator hardware.
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby andrego » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:12 pm

andykirby wrote:...I'm interested to know if "shutdown/suspend" etc works on the II considering its got the power regulator hardware.

It would be nice to know this as well. I've tried the armhf Linaro build from toby corkindale / miniand but couldn't get that to boot. Probably my error. I'll try again and report back if I have any success.
andrego

Postby r28073 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:23 pm

With the MK802 (512MB), I managed only to get the Xubuntu image on miniand to work. With all the others, it would not boot. All I can see is a black screen. I tried different evb.bin with different display mode/refresh rate, but again unsuccessfully.

@andy
Please let me know if you manage to get the Lubuntu image to work as sehgal.v7 did.

Thx
r28073

Postby evildee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 pm

I've been toying with a few of the Linux images, not really pushing their limits (light web browsing, tweaking settings, etc...still getting used to the UI) and so far my findings are:

Rikomagic Lubuntu 12.04 - seems to run pretty smoothly, and had probably the best wifi pick-up of them all

Toby's Linaro 12.06 armhf - runs the fastest of the ones I've tried, but had a few momentary 'blackouts' and I couldn't get the standard 'miniand' password to work in any of the system settings, so couldn't get it connected to the WLAN (if anyone knows the working pass, please let me know)

Lubuntu 12.04 v4 (MK802+ 720p version) - seemed very stable compared to the stock android OS, but failed to download codecs on both the videos I tried to play (an H.264 .MP4 and an XviD .AVI)

Ubuntu 12.04 v1 - kinda liked the UI, but despite connecting and showing full wifi strength, it failed to load any pages or download any apps/updates/codecs and didn't play the same videos as above without codecs it couldn't get. Also, it was the one with the most delay between clicking something and anything happening

They all ran fine when left on/played with for an hour or so each, some where a little buggy (things crashing when I tried to change settings, apps not installing) and none of them gave me that great of a pick-up on the wifi signal (which is, admittedly, coming from a router 70ft and 3 walls away, but is fine on the bravia tv it's plugged into).....but as the stock android system blacks out on me after 5-15 minutes, it's a definite improvement.

Going to try puppy linux next...will let ya know if/how well it works
evildee

Postby NOD » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:57 pm

evildee wrote:Toby's Linaro 12.06 armhf - runs the fastest of the ones I've tried, but had a few momentary 'blackouts' and I couldn't get the standard 'miniand' password to work in any of the system settings, so couldn't get it connected to the WLAN (if anyone knows the working pass, please let me know)

The password is linaro just like the user-name.
NOD

Postby evildee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:33 pm

NOD wrote:
evildee wrote:Toby's Linaro 12.06 armhf - runs the fastest of the ones I've tried, but had a few momentary 'blackouts' and I couldn't get the standard 'miniand' password to work in any of the system settings, so couldn't get it connected to the WLAN (if anyone knows the working pass, please let me know)

The password is linaro just like the user-name.

evildee

Postby g2000 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Hey evildee -

Just a heads up I tired the puppy distro (not on the mk802 II). I have the 1GB MK802. Two things I noticed:
1) Took a min or two to boot up (a bit slower than the other linux builds listed above)
2) Since it was made for the Mele (which has 512MB) it would not detect or use the total amount of ram available

As far as the interface goes, its very spartan. Browser didnt seem to work for me and I couldnt get the puppy package manager to work.
I was able to connect it to my wifi but since I really couldnt get the browser to work I gave up.
g2000

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum