My Mk802 III Wifi fix

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

My Mk802 III Wifi fix

Postby MrMarbles » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 pm

I just got a Mk802 III, ordered off ebay, and like a lot of people, I couldn't get the wifi working properly. The signal would go from "good" to "out of range" and back again every few minutes, while it couldn't actually transfer enough data to load a webpage or sign in to the Play Store.

I read this person's account of placing a piece of paper next to the antenna: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php? ... y-solution

The first part of trying it out, just cracking the case open and leaving it like that, worked! When the antenna, attached to the plastic case, wasn't near the board, the wifi was strong and stable. Unfortunately, trying to close up the case again, with either a piece of paper and plastic between the antenna and the board, brought the same problem back. Obviously it's not a problem with actual contact, but some kind of interference coming off the main board (I'd already tried moving my usb keyboard/mouse adapter away, still had the same problem).

So, since I found it worked when the antenna was a little farther, all i did was peel it off the inside of the plastic case, stuck it to a piece of paper, and filed open a notch in the case big enough to pass the wire through. The result may not look very pretty, but the wifi works as good as any other device in my house:

MrMarbles

Re: My Mk802 III Wifi fix

Postby Germ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I found another problem and a fix.

The RC12 remote USB dongle if installed into the MK802 is within 5mm of the Wi-fi antenna base and causes mutual interference as both are on the same frequency. I remoted the USB dongle by a metre and things drastically improved for both mouse control and Wi-Fi.

Eventually I did turn off the Wi-fi and go wired ethernet (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181036503989? ... 1497.l2649) which is even better and a Logitech K700 keyboard (£21 on ebay). The keyboard is fantastic compared to the RC12 which I would recommend no none buys.

Hope this helps.
Germ

Postby Germ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm

Remote the RC12 usb dongle away from the MK802, the antennas end up less than 5mm apart and cause mutual interference.

Remote the dongle by a metre and performance improves.

This may nearly be a double post as my previous one seems to have vanished.
Germ

Postby Reb00t » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:14 am

How is your internet speed with ethernet cable ? If u run a speedtest.net ? And how is it with the fix u made ?
Reb00t

Postby Reb00t » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 am

WoW. I pulled out my antenna. Now i Got FULL signal and 17 Mb/s Awesome.. But how much speed do i get with a cable ?
Reb00t

Postby agasim » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:50 pm

....usb to ethernet adapter,no need for wifi at all. For remote control, droidvnc on mk802iii an vnc clien on my tablet an i have full touch-screen ;-) even remotely from office
agasim

Postby tecknight » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:41 pm

My WiFi fix
tecknight

Postby pootez » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi Techknight

Your fix is exactly what I am looking for.

How did you construct your WiFi antenna as I was looking for a solution like this due to my poor wifi connection on my MK802IIIs?
Also, would you recommend updating to latest firmware before proceeding to this antenna mod or do that anyway regardless?

Thanks in Advance

Pootez
pootez

Postby pootez » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi TechKnight

I was looking for a solution like yours due to my wifi issues. My wifi tends to work fine when I am very close to the router but now that the riko is in my bedroom it wont pick up the siganl as well.

Could you explain how you did it and what improvements you gained from your modification. Also will upgrading to the latest version of firmware help with the wifi?

Thanks in advance.

Pootez
pootez

Postby tecknight » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:50 am

pootez wrote:Hi TechKnight

I was looking for a solution like yours due to my wifi issues. My wifi tends to work fine when I am very close to the router but now that the riko is in my bedroom it wont pick up the siganl as well.

Could you explain how you did it and what improvements you gained from your modification. Also will upgrading to the latest version of firmware help with the wifi?

Thanks in advance.

Pootez

Sure, Pootez.
It was quite simple, assuming that you:
1. Have the proper reverse SMB connector with shielded cable connected. I actually got mine from the wifi adapter off a broken laptop. Trust me, you need a pre-configured cable that is already connected to the SMB connector on one end and stripped and separated on the other end.
2. Are willing and able to solder very small wires to very small contacts.
The MK802 III's wifi antenna contacts are actually on the main board, right next to the raised daughterboard.
I first tried to use the existing coax, but found it to be an exercise in futility to strip and separate the shield from the core, so I then desoldered the original coax from the antenna contact points.
I then soldered my SMB connector with attached coax to the same contact points. I then routed the coax in a manner that made the SMB connector emerge from the hole I had made in the case and used a thin layer of hot glue to ensure the coax would stay routed the way I wanted it. I added a little extra hot glue to give the SMB connector some rigidity where it emerged and voila. I have even connected it to my yagi antenna and connected to an AP that is about 1/4 mile away.
Does that make sense ?
FYI: The firmware is immaterial. If you are having wifi speed or connection issues, the problem is the signal. To be honest, my wifi was solid with the original antenna. The range sucked, but my connection was solid and the speed was good. But now it still solid and very fast, but also has a great range. Here's another image.
tecknight

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum