My Mk802 III Wifi fix

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: My Mk802 III Wifi fix

Postby jaykhan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:26 am

tecknight wrote:
pootez wrote:Hi TechKnight

I was looking for a solution like yours due to my wifi issues. My wifi tends to work fine when I am very close to the router but now that the riko is in my bedroom it wont pick up the siganl as well.

Could you explain how you did it and what improvements you gained from your modification. Also will upgrading to the latest version of firmware help with the wifi?

Thanks in advance.

Pootez

Sure, Pootez.
It was quite simple, assuming that you:
1. Have the proper reverse SMB connector with shielded cable connected. I actually got mine from the wifi adapter off a broken laptop. Trust me, you need a pre-configured cable that is already connected to the SMB connector on one end and stripped and separated on the other end.
2. Are willing and able to solder very small wires to very small contacts.
The MK802 III's wifi antenna contacts are actually on the main board, right next to the raised daughterboard.
I first tried to use the existing coax, but found it to be an exercise in futility to strip and separate the shield from the core, so I then desoldered the original coax from the antenna contact points.
I then soldered my SMB connector with attached coax to the same contact points. I then routed the coax in a manner that made the SMB connector emerge from the hole I had made in the case and used a thin layer of hot glue to ensure the coax would stay routed the way I wanted it. I added a little extra hot glue to give the SMB connector some rigidity where it emerged and voila. I have even connected it to my yagi antenna and connected to an AP that is about 1/4 mile away.
Does that make sense ?
FYI: The firmware is immaterial. If you are having wifi speed or connection issues, the problem is the signal. To be honest, my wifi was solid with the original antenna. The range sucked, but my connection was solid and the speed was good. But now it still solid and very fast, but also has a great range. Here's another image.

Thanks for shairing your experience, BTW, where did you get this heatsink, any ebay link?
jaykhan

Postby majedalanni » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Hi,

can someone tell me what is the red wire in attached file?

Thanks

Mike

majedalanni

Postby tecknight » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:19 pm

jaykhan wrote:
tecknight wrote:
pootez wrote:Hi TechKnight

I was looking for a solution like yours due to my wifi issues. My wifi tends to work fine when I am very close to the router but now that the riko is in my bedroom it wont pick up the siganl as well.

Could you explain how you did it and what improvements you gained from your modification. Also will upgrading to the latest version of firmware help with the wifi?

Thanks in advance.

Pootez

Sure, Pootez.
It was quite simple, assuming that you:
1. Have the proper reverse SMB connector with shielded cable connected. I actually got mine from the wifi adapter off a broken laptop. Trust me, you need a pre-configured cable that is already connected to the SMB connector on one end and stripped and separated on the other end.
2. Are willing and able to solder very small wires to very small contacts.
The MK802 III's wifi antenna contacts are actually on the main board, right next to the raised daughterboard.
I first tried to use the existing coax, but found it to be an exercise in futility to strip and separate the shield from the core, so I then desoldered the original coax from the antenna contact points.
I then soldered my SMB connector with attached coax to the same contact points. I then routed the coax in a manner that made the SMB connector emerge from the hole I had made in the case and used a thin layer of hot glue to ensure the coax would stay routed the way I wanted it. I added a little extra hot glue to give the SMB connector some rigidity where it emerged and voila. I have even connected it to my yagi antenna and connected to an AP that is about 1/4 mile away.
Does that make sense ?
FYI: The firmware is immaterial. If you are having wifi speed or connection issues, the problem is the signal. To be honest, my wifi was solid with the original antenna. The range sucked, but my connection was solid and the speed was good. But now it still solid and very fast, but also has a great range. Here's another image.

Thanks for shairing your experience, BTW, where did you get this heatsink, any ebay link?

Jay,
I got it off a surplus power supply that I had lying around.
tecknight

Postby Knuckles » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:59 am

I recently fixed my wifi issues on my Mk802 III. The antennas solder joint was cracked! The glue was holding it in place but as soon as that was gone it just fell off. I pulled a really good antenna out of a laptop, soldered that in and my speeds went from 0.05mbs to 3.25mbs. The antenna that comes with it is really cheap and poorly soldered to the board. The coaxial cable is a pain to get soldered in though.

I am planning on making a video for this fix.
Knuckles

Postby Discochimp » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:22 pm

HI Guys

I had a issue with my WiFi so i pulled an old USB WiFi apart and un-soldiered the aerial from the MB.

something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-USB-150M ... 19e70d2ba4

I then trimed off the legs of the male connection and do some seriously small soldiering.

Drilled a small hole in the back and hey presto!

rsz_img_20140104_180314_418.jpg
rsz_img_20140104_180314_418.jpg (246.46 KiB) Viewed 2814 times
Discochimp

Postby bobjoan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:05 pm

sir tecknight could you post a picture of where exactly i would place the wires from smb connector to the main board of the unit...pls...pls...
bobjoan

Previous

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum