Different use for the MK802, shell scripting?

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Different use for the MK802, shell scripting?

Postby ruudvanbeek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi all,

I want to use my MK802 III a little different then probably most of you. I am an "old-time" programmer and the things I want to do seem quite simple to me. As it turns out, it does not seem to be so easy after all. Maybe someone can give me a hand.

What I want todo:
Use my device to run a (public) information system. The idea is to make/play a mix of powerpoint presentations and website information the whole day thru. There should be no interaction from users or whatever.

How to:
To me it seemed quite simple. Make a shell script where you start the powerpoint no1. On ending, terminate powerpoint, start brower, website at a time interval e.g. weather for 2 minutes. Then another powerpoint and later more website info. This could be run I think from startup in some "autoexec.bat" file.

Well, so far, no good... I remember some linux (unix) commands from long time ago. But it is not as simple as I thought. Since android is running on linux I expect to be able to run linux scripts.

Problems:
I cannot execute a .apk app from a shell script..? Probably I am doing something wrong. How can programs be started from a script? Did someone do something like this before? Some examples maybe?

All input is welcome :)
ruudvanbeek

Re: Different use for the MK802, shell scripting?

Postby chatbox » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:46 am

This should point you in the right direction. http://ruboto.org/

Shell script, plus Ruby, plus Android API.
chatbox

Postby rartino » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Technically, I suppose it could work. Read up on shell scripts, you can run them in e.g. the android terminal emulator. See here for how to start an android program inside a shell script:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6613 ... mmand-line

But, in practice, I think you would be much better off switching android for regular Linux.
rartino

Postby ruudvanbeek » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Thanks for the response guys. I will test your suggestions next week; very busy now.
ruudvanbeek

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum