Guide to installing custom rom

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Guide to installing custom rom

Postby stu_b » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi,

Really struggling to find a newbies guide on how to install a custom ROM. Need to get this thing working properly!

Suspect that the 2dark4u/Finless 1.7 ROM is the way forward, but am not sure of the method - most of the instructions assuming a starting point level of knowledge that I don't have. :(

Many thanks for any pointers.
stu_b

Re: Guide to installing custom rom

Postby NorSol » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Hi stu_b

First; my lack knowledge should prevent me of replying your post. But today I succeeded in installing Finless 1.7 ROM, after much blod sweat and tears :) In retrospective I must admit that most of my struggelig could be avoided if I'd read the readme-file in advance, or more correctly read it at all...

But a combination of the readme-file and this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtT8pPYgGiw
I proudly anounce that I'm the lucky owner of a MK802III running in Finless 1.7.

As I see it installing Finless 1.7 is a four-step rocket:

1. Getting MK802III rooted and in flash mode
-The instructions in readme-file led me half the way, but in step 6) I was lost. So then i looked to the youtube clip
-Installing the free app Quick Boot (Reboot) and selecting Reebot to Bootloader got it into flash mode

2.Installing the drivers (I totaly overlooked this in both instructions and video clip=
-Simply follow the instructions 'Driver Install' 1) - 14)

3. Flashing ROM
-I followed the instructions in readme-file, here the video clip confused me (though the rest of the clip was very explanatory)
-I choosed the following; kernel_720_CPU1272_GPU466_RAM1120.img

4. Enjoy!!

The first impression is very good!

Good luck.

NorSol
NorSol

Postby stu_b » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:43 pm

Thank you.

Got it all done, no probs - set using 1080p and on a 50" plasma is looks great. Popped a cheap reconditioned Belkin gigabit ethernet adapter in which works fine too.

The only issue I had was with power supplies. If I used my Nexus 10 one it was fine, but a no name 2a job was not - the screen kept blanking. After lots of messing, I discovered it was not the no-name PSU at fault, but the cable! Only the genuine Samsung cable could carry the current. Ordered a genuine Samsung cable for the no-name PSU and all is fine again. :)
stu_b

Postby AZ. » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:35 pm

NorSol wrote:Hi stu_b

First; my lack knowledge should prevent me of replying your post. But today I succeeded in installing Finless 1.7 ROM, after much blod sweat and tears :) In retrospective I must admit that most of my struggelig could be avoided if I'd read the readme-file in advance, or more correctly read it at all...

But a combination of the readme-file and this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtT8pPYgGiw
I proudly anounce that I'm the lucky owner of a MK802III running in Finless 1.7.

As I see it installing Finless 1.7 is a four-step rocket:

1. Getting MK802III rooted and in flash mode
-The instructions in readme-file led me half the way, but in step 6) I was lost. So then i looked to the youtube clip
-Installing the free app Quick Boot (Reboot) and selecting Reebot to Bootloader got it into flash mode

2.Installing the drivers (I totaly overlooked this in both instructions and video clip=
-Simply follow the instructions 'Driver Install' 1) - 14)

3. Flashing ROM
-I followed the instructions in readme-file, here the video clip confused me (though the rest of the clip was very explanatory)
-I choosed the following; kernel_720_CPU1272_GPU466_RAM1120.img

4. Enjoy!!

The first impression is very good!

Good luck.

NorSol

Is this the latest up to date guide for installing a new ROM?
AZ.

Postby danyrolux » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:31 am

Please see thie post, maybe it helps

MK802IIIS firmwares gathered on one place! http://touchscreen-apps.blogspot.ro/2013/04/mk802iiis-firmwares-gathered-on-one.html
danyrolux

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum