1080p support

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: 1080p support

Postby Itch3R » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:16 pm

It seems its very easy to miss it, because the output resolution is 1080p. But when I played real full HD video, It wasn't sharp as full HD. So I tried to search something about it. This site reported to me 1280x720, but I haven't tried the newest firmware. Someone on this forum already wrote about it, but there is a mess in threads and important information are lost in loads of unimportant talk. I have already returned my device, because it wase more of a pain in the a.. than a useful tool. You can check my observations after two weeks of using this device: viewtopic.php?t=2563

There was a good note not so long after a release of mkIII802. I figured out quickly, that he is not so far from truth:
/Zootoxin/: I think it's very unfair to release another version of the MK802 when there are so many problems with the previous two models.
There are many people on these forums screaming out for help and updates/fixes but all we get from Rikomagic is please get your money ready again!
Why not fix the problems instead of trying to convince us we've already bought the wrong product and should re-invest in a new one?
Given these issues I personally will not be buying the MK802 III //

On the other hand, for this money, in this era, you cannot get a miracle. Which MK802III would be, if it has solved all the issues :)
Itch3R

Postby wololo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm

I respectfully disagree with the statement from Zootoxin

Although the lack of full 1080p support might be disappointing to some, the mk802 III fixes *lots* of issues the previous generations were having, and is a welcome update. If anything, I think the MK802 II is the one that should not have existed, it felt more like a revamped version of the MK802 and MK802+. But the MK802 III, with its dual core, fixed most of my own issues.

Rikomagic is clearly focused on the Hardware and not on the software. To be honest, when it comes to Android, all manufacturers do the same: Sell you the hardware with a buggy software implementation, and then rely on the community to improve the device. Small Chinese company or big Korean one, they all do the same. Phones are a good example, where you can kiss software support goodbye after 1 year (example, my HTC Desire HD bought less than 2 years ago, cost more than 10 times the MK802, hasn't seen a software update in more than a year and a half despite many flaws)

If you want perfect software support from the manufacturer, go with Apple. Even if I don't like that company, they do offer long term support for their products. But, like it or not, when you buy into the Android ecosystem, you implicitly accept the fact that you will be relying a lot on the community for upgrades. I'm not saying I agree with this, but that's the way it is today.

Personally I'm happy with what I got, I bought the hardware based on reviews and knowing what I was buying. To me, the MK802 I and II have hardware limitations that make them difficult to improve with software. For the MK802 III, I think the Finless rom for example gives full 1080, and even if that device has lots of potential for software improvement, for the price it's already incredibly good in my opinion, even with the default rom.
Review of the MK802 IV - Review of the MK802 III - Review of the air mouse MK702 II
My list of 10 "Must Have" apps for your Android TV (2014 edition)
Tutorial: watch Netflix outside of the US (this method works way better than VPN!)
wololo

Postby mk802iii » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:06 am

@Itch3R
Thanks for sharing your experience. While we don't seem to have any of the issues you've mentioned, I think a real, first hand experience is ten fold more valuable then a 'well written' lip service review. Thanks also for the follow up.

To keep the thread on topic, the way the interface looked on a 37'' TV made me suspicious right away that the resolution was downscaled to 720p, and checking the settings confirmed as much. Interface elements - icons, panels looked ridiculously huge. You never get that kind of look with 1080p.
mk802iii

Postby Itch3R » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 am

Wololo, I agree with you. It is only about knowing what you want. I am kind of a man who wants to play with his toys and who wants to have opportunity to tweak it to maximum. But this is the device, from which I wanted to serve me without any major modifications. I play and work with my computer, and I wanted MK802III to serve me as a "relaxation" device. Maybe someday it can be like this, but then, it wasn't. And I hope it will be, because I like a lot the concept of a whole thing.

So back from ot, I hope I helped to resolve the question mark that is hanging above 1080p support.
Itch3R

Postby DaVincie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm

I guess we might have Full HD support in a near future. As you all know XBMC was ported to android and some devices have full HD support in XBMC already since they employed team member to work on it. Some XBMC members like the team member Koying wanted also to give support for our chips RK3066 from Rockchip but they realized that there must be a bug in the firmware for the chip or lack of knowledge that made it crash upon playing 1080p. Finally the Chip manufacturer started helping in the thread during the last week to fix the problem with the 1080p issues. Below are just a couple of the last messages in the thread that can be found in the following link.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=152005&page=40

Note that the thread is for testing of the new hopefully, fully functional 1080p support in XBMC for our device that will resolve the issue with our chip. There is a lot of info in the first message in the thread and hopefully somebody from Rikomagic read this and contribute so we quickly can get the fix for our chip implemented now when they have realized that there was a bug.

A couple of the last messages in the thread:

Herman.Chen from Rockchip Wrote: 2013-02-23 10:51
There is an error when OMX component create GraphicBuffer from NativeWindow, NativeWindow width and height are not set correctly. We fix the bug and send the libstagefright.so below. Please download and check whether can play 1080p normally. libstagefright.so

CruNcher Wrote: 2013-02-23 14:25
And yes also Mx Players H/W+ Mode benefits from this bugfix we can just hope that it finds it way to tablets and other RK3066 devices fast

Katch Wrote: 2013-02-25 13:25
I can't see the patched libstagefright.so making it into vendors ROMS & updates any time soon (if ever) - It is my understanding that OEMs are responsible for their own firmware and updates so they would need to pick up this fix and include it - I can't believe they are even aware of it.

Maybe somebody here could make an instruction how to install it on our devices and also use their influence on Rikomagic if we want to get 1080p support for the device it is now or never because they have more chips to focus on if Rikomagic pass this time.
DaVincie

Postby tecknight » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:04 pm

wololo wrote:I respectfully disagree with the statement from Zootoxin

Although the lack of full 1080p support might be disappointing to some, the mk802 III fixes *lots* of issues the previous generations were having, and is a welcome update. If anything, I think the MK802 II is the one that should not have existed, it felt more like a revamped version of the MK802 and MK802+. But the MK802 III, with its dual core, fixed most of my own issues.

Rikomagic is clearly focused on the Hardware and not on the software. To be honest, when it comes to Android, all manufacturers do the same: Sell you the hardware with a buggy software implementation, and then rely on the community to improve the device. Small Chinese company or big Korean one, they all do the same. Phones are a good example, where you can kiss software support goodbye after 1 year (example, my HTC Desire HD bought less than 2 years ago, cost more than 10 times the MK802, hasn't seen a software update in more than a year and a half despite many flaws)

If you want perfect software support from the manufacturer, go with Apple. Even if I don't like that company, they do offer long term support for their products. But, like it or not, when you buy into the Android ecosystem, you implicitly accept the fact that you will be relying a lot on the community for upgrades. I'm not saying I agree with this, but that's the way it is today.

Personally I'm happy with what I got, I bought the hardware based on reviews and knowing what I was buying. To me, the MK802 I and II have hardware limitations that make them difficult to improve with software. For the MK802 III, I think the Finless rom for example gives full 1080, and even if that device has lots of potential for software improvement, for the price it's already incredibly good in my opinion, even with the default rom.

Extremely well put, wololo,
Like it or not, the Mini PC market is cutthroat and profit margins are razor thin.
It does not make sense for a hardware manufacturer to use development resources on last generation hardware. In the long run, the community will provide better and more timely updates.
I think this especially applies to RK3066 based devices, as there are so many different manufacturers and models, all with the same basic architecture, the only real difference (in architecture) between the devices being the wifi/bluetooth chipset and the amount of NAND flash onboard. This makes it much more efficient for the community to provide a broad solution that will work on all models with similar specs.
My experience with the MK802 III and several other brands of RK3066 TV sticks, is that the MK802 III is higher quality than the majority of it's competitors, and that the manufacturer is actually accessible and responsive, unlike many of the other devices, that have no manufacturer contacts whatsoever.
tecknight

Postby mk802iii » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:27 am

Respectfully, I beg to disagree. If a device doesn't support 1080p, don't advertise it, and if wifi doesn't work, don't put it among the features. It's simple, and any vendor, big or small, that deliberately lies to users should be out of business, community support or not.
I suspect quite a few will be returning their MK802iii devices, thanks to the efforts of technight and wololo here. ;)
You might wanna watch out, lest someone puts a price on your heads for sabotaging. :ugeek:
mk802iii

Postby gsurath » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:46 pm

But as per AndyKirby, the MK802III does support 1080p video. Its only the Android ecosystem that is being displayed in 720p to avoid the icons looking small. He also says that the Finless ROM actually only modifies the Android system to display 1080p.

So net net, 1080p video is supported in the 29/11 firmware. See the above quote in the below link

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4180
gsurath

Postby wololo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:49 pm

Wow... taking things a bit over the top, aren't we? I'm super happy with my MK802 III, it has replaced a $900 PC AND a $300 PS3 in my living room as the default multimedia player a while ago, and I am not going back. I have no problem with my Wifi connectivity, and I personally never advertised the device as outputting 1080p by default. Now, if you have problems with how Rikomagic or their resellers advertise their product, or if you got a lemon, take your issue to your reseller, not to me.

It's probably an obvious marketing trick from them, when they say 1080P, they probably mean the device is capable of decoding 1080p video an playing it smoothly, which is not false advertising, I've myself played many 1080p MKV videos without a problem. The fact that it then outputs at 720p by default is another (software) problem that can easily be solved by installing a new firmware (the Finless rom), which for some obscure reason you refuse to do. Maybe you should have gone with a more mainstream brand if you refuse to try and actually solve your problem when solutions exist, but even though, I myself never tried to install a new firmware besides the official one, and I am 100% happy with the product.

By the way I don't like how you put the word "respectfully" in the same post where you threaten to put a price on my head. Again, if you feel you got cheated, take it with your reseller, I don't see what that has to do with me, unless you point me to where I put a gun on your head and ordered you to buy that product. I have written reviews of both the MK802 I and the MK802 III on my blog, and these reviews are 100% accurate with my experience. I have 5 years of authority in a related field and wouldn't risk my online reputation trying to advertise a product that I don't actually like.
Review of the MK802 IV - Review of the MK802 III - Review of the air mouse MK702 II
My list of 10 "Must Have" apps for your Android TV (2014 edition)
Tutorial: watch Netflix outside of the US (this method works way better than VPN!)
wololo

Postby mk802iii » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:36 pm

wololo wrote:Wow... taking things a bit over the top, aren't we? I'm super happy with my MK802 III, it has replaced a $900 PC AND a $300 PS3 in my living room as the default multimedia player a while ago, and I am not going back. I have no problem with my Wifi connectivity, and I personally never advertised the device as outputting 1080p by default. Now, if you have problems with how Rikomagic or their resellers advertise their product, or if you got a lemon, take your issue to your reseller, not to me.

This thread is not about you, and I did not ask for your help. Just ignore my posts. As your replies are generally too laconic, vague and unhelpful anyway, I'd not miss much. In case this happens to be your private forum, let me know, I'll leave at once.

It's probably an obvious marketing trick from them, when they say 1080P, they probably mean the device is capable of decoding 1080p video an playing it smoothly, which is not false advertising, I've myself played many 1080p MKV videos without a problem. The fact that it then outputs at 720p by default is another (software) problem that can easily be solved by installing a new firmware (the Finless rom), which for some obscure reason you refuse to do. Maybe you should have gone with a more mainstream brand if you refuse to try and actually solve your problem when solutions exist, but even though, I myself never tried to install a new firmware besides the official one, and I am 100% happy with the product.

We've been over this before. I didn't want to try the Finless ROM because I didn't know what it was. Your replies provided no useful info, other then that you hadn't tried it yourself. May I suggest you stop recommending the Finless ROM, untill you've tried it, and gained first hand experience. In case you must recommend stuff you've never used, at the very least, do it properly.

By the way I don't like how you put the word "respectfully" in the same post where you threaten to put a price on my head. Again, if you feel you got cheated, take it with your reseller, I don't see what that has to do with me, unless you point me to where I put a gun on your head and ordered you to buy that product. I have written reviews of both the MK802 I and the MK802 III on my blog, and these reviews are 100% accurate with my experience. I have 5 years of authority in a related field and wouldn't risk my online reputation trying to advertise a product that I don't actually like.

You either have no sense of humor, or do have a reading comprehension problem. Take it easy, it's just a joke in a forum post.

PS: In case you really care about online reputation, take that review offline.
mk802iii

Previous

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum