questions about heatsinks?

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

questions about heatsinks?

Postby benjaminjaquith » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:24 pm

I currently have my mk802iii overclocked to 1200mhz min and 1608 max, I know that these device never technically get to the claimed 1.6ghz on stock rom but its just set there. I have a coolermaster 12 volt fan aimed at the device all the time whilst on and have played my fpse emulator for HOURS and the device seems cool to the touch. eveything works quickly and the device is pretty snappy. My question is, I know I am taking a risk without a proper heatsink and in the future I am looking to run cm10, (counting my chickens before they hatch haha), and if an available kernel allows I want to max the device for more fluid opengl rendering on gaming. I know, I know, this is NOT a gaming machine, yet I am very impressed so far with its capabilities and want to push the limits of this incredible little "gaming center". are there any good instructions for installing a proper heatsink to the device? should I do the 4 mali chips too? only the cpu? the ram? the whole dang thing? the chips are all at different heights as well. how would i secure the heat sinks? any insight would be GREATLY appreciated as my google searches usually bring me to buy another device haha. Thanks again in advance!
benjaminjaquith

Re: questions about heatsinks?

Postby benjaminjaquith » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:34 pm

I actually stumbled across these on amazon and ordered them they are self adhesive and got pretty good ratings. Hope these help someone else as I am sure these will fit the bill. My only qualm is they are only 1/2" by 1/2" so I will need to double up/ find a 1" square for the CPU but ram and GPU are set.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0009YIJ2 ... _ST1_dp_i1
benjaminjaquith

Postby wololo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:39 am

benjaminjaquith wrote:I currently have my mk802iii overclocked to 1200mhz min and 1608 max, I know that these device never technically get to the claimed 1.6ghz on stock rom but its just set there.

Not answering your question here, but the marketing lie is that the device is at 1.6GHz, that is 1.2GHz for the CPU, and 400MHz for the GPU. They add both numbers and end up at 1.6GHz. Which is not technically incorrect, but is not what people expect when they read 1.6GHz. My point being, just because you stay under 1.6GHz with your overclock doesn't necessarily means that you're "safe" :)
Review of the MK802 IV - Review of the MK802 III - Review of the air mouse MK702 II
My list of 10 "Must Have" apps for your Android TV (2014 edition)
Tutorial: watch Netflix outside of the US (this method works way better than VPN!)
wololo

Postby benjaminjaquith » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:46 am

True, yet set CPU program says 1608mhz at the top of the scale, even though never attained. After flashing finless' rom and running antutu I have seen clock speeds of 1700mhz and a score almost 3000 points higher. (9808 I think was my result) the higher clock speeds are attainable. Just not on factory firmware. The heat sinks fit nicely and my custom case is almost ready to be stained and wired up. Can't wait to see what this thing can do with some airflow and higher CPU speeds! I will report my findings :-D
benjaminjaquith

Postby wololo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:56 am

Share pictures of the result when you're done :)
Review of the MK802 IV - Review of the MK802 III - Review of the air mouse MK702 II
Tutorial: watch Netflix outside of the US (this method works way better than VPN!)
wololo

Postby benjaminjaquith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 am

wololo wrote:Share pictures of the result when you're done :)

http://i.imgur.com/qsanPl1.jpg
this is what I have running on a belkin 2.1amp power supply, heat sinks installed, small fan cooling the unit, fresh after boot up. finless 1.7 on 1.6ghz kernel, min 1200mhz, max 1608 mhz, hotplug governor. its a SUBSTANTIAL jump over the stock os. I know benchmark test numbers are just, well, for benchmarking. The device on this rom is NOTICIBLY faster. Market app updates are much quicker, home screen scrolling is unbelievable, browser pages seem faster, I gained 6mbps wifi speed also with no physical mods, just the rom and kernel. I am a believer! Finless Bob is the man!

edit: WOW that image was too big for the page, sorry guys. I posted a link instead.
benjaminjaquith

Postby wololo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:59 am

Nice. How about pictures of the hardware? I want to see the beast :lol:
wololo

Postby benjaminjaquith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:08 am

http://imgur.com/a/RASE0
This is what I have so far, I am "patiently" awaiting the rest of the cables and ccfls to install before I can wood burn, stain and clear coat. This is what the mk802iii enclosure I made for my dad last Christmas came out like:
http://imgur.com/vtwZ3JG
http://imgur.com/EIJFWCo
http://imgur.com/u0GA47B
benjaminjaquith

Postby wololo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:12 am

Wow :o
Those are not only powerful and efficient, they look really nice. Really love the "Steampunk" atmosphere on the one you gave your dad :)
wololo

Postby benjaminjaquith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:57 am

Thank you!
benjaminjaquith

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum