Help with installing Linux on MK802iii

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Help with installing Linux on MK802iii

Postby parthenolide » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 pm

HI all,
I've been unsuccessful installing Linux on a Rikomagic MK802iii. Here are my steps so far.
Per one forum suggestion I downloaded the file lubuntu-desktop-12.04-4-1080p-1GB-miniand.com.img.7z and extracted as lubuntu-desktop-12.04-4-1080p-1GB-miniand.com.img. From a Linux laptop, I used DD to put the image on a 8GB TF card. This caused the laptop to read two USB devices when reading the TF card. One was slightly larger than 7GB and included the img file. The other was about 90M and contained a folder lostdir. After installing the TF into the MK802iii, it was able to read the 90M section, and was NOT able to read the img file.

I used fdisk to delete all partitions. The laptop and the MK802iii were still able to read the lostdir folded, and nothing else. I used fdisk to create a single vfat partition. This resulted in the laptop and the MK802iii reading a single 8GB device.

Any help would be appreciated.
parthenolide

Re: Help with installing Linux on MK802iii

Postby parthenolide » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:44 pm

I'm making some progress. I figured out how to make a USB connection between the MK802iii and a PC. (The micro USB port on the MK802iii is dual purpose: power and USB. This works as long as the PC powers the USB port.)
I can now read and write files to the MK802iii. Linux views this as rockchip_usb. When you open this device you get the following file folders:
Android
Android_zip

How would I go about installing Linux on the rockchip?
parthenolide

Postby wololo » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:36 am

You'll have better luck in the dedicated subforum:
viewforum.php?f=12

also check this thread if you haven't already: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2723

In particular, the linux implementations for AllWinner chipsets will not work on the Rockchip AFAIK
Review of the MK802 IV - Review of the MK802 III - Review of the air mouse MK702 II
My list of 10 "Must Have" apps for your Android TV (2014 edition)
Tutorial: watch Netflix outside of the US (this method works way better than VPN!)
wololo

Postby tecknight » Sat May 11, 2013 3:19 pm

parthenolide wrote:HI all,
I've been unsuccessful installing Linux on a Rikomagic MK802iii. Here are my steps so far.
Per one forum suggestion I downloaded the file lubuntu-desktop-12.04-4-1080p-1GB-miniand.com.img.7z and extracted as lubuntu-desktop-12.04-4-1080p-1GB-miniand.com.img. From a Linux laptop, I used DD to put the image on a 8GB TF card. This caused the laptop to read two USB devices when reading the TF card. One was slightly larger than 7GB and included the img file. The other was about 90M and contained a folder lostdir. After installing the TF into the MK802iii, it was able to read the 90M section, and was NOT able to read the img file.

I used fdisk to delete all partitions. The laptop and the MK802iii were still able to read the lostdir folded, and nothing else. I used fdisk to create a single vfat partition. This resulted in the laptop and the MK802iii reading a single 8GB device.

Any help would be appreciated.

Parthenide,
Since the MK802 III uses an RK3066 ARM processor, you probably want to try PicUntu, and I expect that is where wololo suggested you look.
tecknight

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum