MK902II LE RK3288 Linux - First Glance!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: MK902II LE RK3288 Linux - First Glance!

Postby RealTimeGraphics » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:07 am

We have bought this device to evaluate the differences between RK3188
and RK3288 . Our application downloads data from multiple oscilloscope channels
and runs fast Fourier on the data and graphical displays results.

The USB data transfer is 30-50ms faster . The calculations are almost twice as fast
RealTimeGraphics

Postby montereyjp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:51 am

This is my first post in this forum and I just want to state I have receieved my MK902II Unbuntu version and it seems pretty cool so far, in fact I am using it to make this post. I took it out of the box, attached my dell monitor via HDMI and the Logitech K260 wireless keyboard and mouse I was using on my window machine, connected the power supply and viola I have a Linux workstation.. Way cool :D I am not a Linux person per say but have had my fair share of exposure over the last 30 years in my career as a network engineer. My goal is to start a company that will replace all those bloated turn key window based systems with these little mini PC's... In some cases they may run Linux and in other in may be Android and maybe one day Crome.. The exciting thing for me is anyone with a small budget can start their own R and D lab. The pace of developement is exceeding even what was predicted with Moores law..
montereyjp

Postby montereyjp » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:13 pm

auser wrote:For anyone wondering I would like to confirm that not much works on these devices and they are terrible, after reading what was posted on the forum after I placed my order I tried to contact cloudsto to change my order to and Android unit but never answered any calls or emails I would stay away untill they offer updates.

Sorry for the bad mouthing :roll:

I just got my Linux version a few days ago.. please refer to my earlier post but to reiterate so far it works great. With that said I expect to run into issues along the way but this is R and D so it is to be expected.. You are not buying a fleshed out piece of hardware running a proprietary OS but what would you expect for this price range? For early adopters like Cloudsto and others who are developing ways to use these cool mini PC's in ways they where not originally designed for... the potential rewards are huge... There must be millions of turn key systems based on Windows that are overkill for the application they are used for along with a spinning hard drive that will eventual wear out... These systems along with other tech developements allow anyone with a small budget to start their own R and D shop on a table in your home.. I started as an electronic technician over 30 years ago which lead to network engineering.. I worked on systems that cost millions that only had a fraction of the CPU power these mini PC's have and it took a room full of programmers to develope apps.. Now all you need is one of these guys, a little knowledge, access to the Internet, and your own imagination...
montereyjp

Postby auser » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:25 am

I can confirm plugging in a wireless keyboard mouse and connecting to wifi and web browsing works and have now managed to get Libre Office working :) It was having problems downloading the repositories

Now if only any sort of video playback, video streaming or youtube worked :cry:
auser

Postby olin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:33 pm

Hi,
it seems the MK902IILE.zip file in your linux firmware download page is corrupted. Coud you please check it an re-upload (if broken)? Thanks.
olin

Re: STREAMING VIDEO PROB MK902II LE RK3288 Linux - First Gla

Postby sboehm » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:01 pm

I just received your MK902II that came with Xubuntu installed. I purcahsed it as a media center and your demo video sold me BUT I can't watch streaming video (for example even YouTube) without continual pausing (buffering / chopping).

Is there anything I can do to resolve this or is this device just not powerful enough?

I tried installing Xubuntu Restricted Extras (for Flash), I installed and tried Chromium browser, I tried VLC, nothing helps.

Thank you in advance.
sboehm

Postby andykirby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:10 pm

sboehm wrote:I just received your MK902II that came with Xubuntu installed. I purcahsed it as a media center and your demo video sold me BUT I can't watch streaming video (for example even YouTube) without continual pausing (buffering / chopping).

Is there anything I can do to resolve this or is this device just not powerful enough?

I tried installing Xubuntu Restricted Extras (for Flash), I installed and tried Chromium browser, I tried VLC, nothing helps.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, sorry you are having trouble, the website description does mention that hardware accelerated video is not supported at this moment in time, its kind of work in progress right now. The best thing I can recommend if you want to use it as a media center is to install android, its simply just the best OS for this, head over to the Rikomagic downloads page for the MK902II, any android version should work fine.

The MK902II LE is a POWERFUL Linux platform and can be used for a huge amount of applications, our work developing this device is aimed solely at providing a native Linux (ubuntu) platform which is as close to something you would find in the x86 world but at a fraction of the cost, size, is open source (as much as it can be with ARM SOC's) and opens doors for developers who need real grunt to run their applications. It also makes a great desktop replacement for every day usage too!
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby andykirby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:12 pm

Heres something else we have been working on with the MK902II, again this demonstrates the horsepower this device has.... (copied from my post in the MK902II LE forum)

To those of you that are into radio, particularly SDR (software defined radio) you will know that up until now you have had to use a hefty Windows or Linux PC to run a lot of the popular SDR software.

Well not any more! inspired by KD0CQ's work on getting this software running on the Beaglebone Black we have managed to get GNU Radio and GQRX running on the MK902II LE, making it probably the most powerful self contained SDR platform out there. Just add a USB RTL-SDR dongle and Antenna, plug in a monitor and mouse, fire up GQRX and you have yourself an embedded SDR receiver for casual or professional use.

Heres the video of it in action!

If the interest is there we will offer the MK902II LE preinstalled with the software and possibly an RTL-SDR dongle too, stay tuned!
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby andykirby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:37 pm

Heres something else we have been working on with the MK902II, again this demonstrates the horsepower this device has.... (copied from my post in the MK902II LE forum)

To those of you that are into radio, particularly SDR (software defined radio) you will know that up until now you have had to use a hefty Windows or Linux PC to run a lot of the popular SDR software.

Well not any more! inspired by KD0CQ's work on getting this software running on the Beaglebone Black we have managed to get GNU Radio and GQRX running on the MK902II LE, making it probably the most powerful self contained SDR platform out there. Just add a USB RTL-SDR dongle and Antenna, plug in a monitor and mouse, fire up GQRX and you have yourself an embedded SDR receiver for casual or professional use.

Heres the video of it in action!

If the interest is there we will offer the MK902II LE preinstalled with the software and possibly an RTL-SDR dongle too, stay tuned!
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby sboehm » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:08 am

andykirby wrote:
sboehm wrote:I just received your MK902II that came with Xubuntu installed. I purcahsed it as a media center and your demo video sold me BUT I can't watch streaming video (for example even YouTube) without continual pausing (buffering / chopping).

Thank you in advance.

Hi, sorry you are having trouble, the website description does mention that hardware accelerated video is not supported at this moment in time, its kind of work in progress right now. The best thing I can recommend if you want to use it as a media center is to install android, its simply just the best OS for this, head over to the Rikomagic downloads page for the MK902II, any android version should work fine.

The MK902II LE is a POWERFUL Linux platform and can be used for a huge amount of applications, our work developing this device is aimed solely at providing a native Linux (ubuntu) platform which is as close to something you would find in the x86 world but at a fraction of the cost, size, is open source (as much as it can be with ARM SOC's) and opens doors for developers who need real grunt to run their applications. It also makes a great desktop replacement for every day usage too!

Awesome guys. Just following up to let you know I couldn't be happier with your product. Here's what I did for anyone else in my situation.

1.) I downloaded the Users Manual here http://www.rikomagic.com/en/download/download_25_1.html it gave me instructions on how to update the firmware.
2. ) I downloaded the Android Firmware here which included the driver for Windows 7 in your instructions http://www.rikomagic.com/en/download/do_1.html
3.) BUT I had to download the older version MK902 here an extract the Batch File that allowed me to flash the firmware (you might want to add this to your MK902II area zip file) http://www.rikomagic.com/en/download/download_28_1.html

4.) After Android was installed I downloaded the free YouTube App to play the videos (browser in Android showed blank screen but the App works).
5.) Went into XBMC Kodi and installed FUSION for a-l-l the rest!! !!

Of course you can avoid all this if you just order the Android unit... I might end up buying another one of your Xubuntu units as it would be an awesome OwnCloud server being it runs off of 5W and 2.5Amps and no noise.

Nice box guys!!
sboehm

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum