MK902II LE RK3288 Linux - First Glance!

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: MK902II LE RK3288 Linux - First Glance!

Postby gurax » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:45 pm

olin wrote:Hi,
it seems the MK902IILE.zip file in your linux firmware download page is corrupted. Coud you please check it an re-upload (if broken)? Thanks.

Hello,
I found this link that contains files and images. http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/downloads/firmware/Linux/

Yet I am a newbie in all this. I own a MK902ii with the 3288 chip, which came with Android. I would wish to replace Android with Linux and I am familiar with Linux.
In the above link there are many .zip and .img files. But where can I find some instructions or indications of what to do with which file and how?
gurax

Postby neojin29 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:39 pm

can someone please upload the linux rom so i can download... thanks
neojin29

Postby gurax » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Hello again.
I got an .img file, ubuntu, that I found for the Firefly board which uses the same 3288. I flashed it onto my rk902ii and it booted, quite fast actually.

Functionality is not complete.

The wifi doesn't work - I have come to understand that the ethernet chip is different in Firefly from rk902ii.

Ethernet reports 1GB connectivity. Initially it fails to get ip/route/dns information from the dhcp server in my lan. I suspect this is connected to a message that indicates "NetworkManager is not running". If I supply the information via normal vanilla linux utils (ifconfig, route, /etc/resolv.conf) then it all works ok.

There doesn't seem to be acceleration for graphics. The windows tear and stutter when moved on the screen and youtube videos end up with some 10-15 frames per second, with processor load at about 65-70%, all cores at this level.

It would seem reading and writing onto the internal sdcard is kind of slow. I will need to check more on this, I tried to use iotop to see more details but I got the message:
---------------------
Could not run iotop as some of the requirements are not met:
- Linux >= 2.6.20 with
- I/O accounting support (CONFIG_TASKSTATS, CONFIG_TASK_DELAY_ACCT, CONFIG_TASK_IO_ACCOUNTING)
- VM event counters (CONFIG_VM_EVENT_COUNTERS)
--------------------

I haven't been able to test sound, I'm using a normal lcd computer monitor with a hdmi->dvi adapter cable, I'd have to take the box home to test it with a tv for sound. I will do this in the following couple of days.

I hope this information to be useful for further development of linux on the mk902ii.
gurax

Postby usermk902II_555 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi,
Just bought a MK902II with Android.

I would like to install the Linux firmware, XUBUNTU 14 is good.
Where can I get the firmware image so I change from Android to LINUX XUBUNTU?
Is there any XUBUNTU SERVER EDITION?
I would like to flash my MK902II with a linux OS.

Rgds
Luis
usermk902II_555

Postby F145h » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:49 pm

Hello, I received today MK902II LE. But actively experimenting with the system can not do without image for restore. A page http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/downloads/firmware/Linux/ not loaded :( Do I have the the ability to make a backup with RKBatch Tool ?
F145h

Postby gurax » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:30 pm

I have been checking around the internet to educate myself on this board and the RK3288 chip.
I have been left with the feeling that Rockchip is not happy with the idea of releasing the processor sdk for linux. Maybe they have plans to position this board for Android(ish) use only in the mainline and linux for bussiness partners or contractual development only.
If this is true, it leaves hobbyists like me a litttle disheartened and eventually looking elsewhere for other, develop-friendlier boards. There is already an upcoming product which looks promising, the Beagleboard X-15 (http://linuxgizmos.com/beagleboard-x15- ... 15-sitara/ ). It is expected for this board to have a price comparable to the mk902ii .

I do hope Rikomagic changes their stance on this mainly politics-and-bureocratic issue.
gurax

MK902II LE RK3288 Linux First Glance

Postby RobertSn » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:48 pm

HI

I want to make remote connection from Linux to windows and vice versa... Using that connection i want to control and perform some commands... Is there any common way to do that.. can anybody suggest me...

Thank You
RobertSn

Postby EJF » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:16 am

The Flash problem is, I think, a known Ubuntu problem. In all my computers I had to install "Pepper Flash" to get it working. Look in Ubuntu fora for more info on this problem. http://www.binarytides.com/better-xubuntu-14-04/
EJF

Postby yiorgos » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Hi all
I am considering buying one of these Linux mini PCs to be used as a desktop replacement i.e. office applications, email, internet, some video playback etc.
Those of you who have been using it for the past few months, do you consider it to be mature enough for this purpose? i.e. does the device now support h/w accelaration for video? Will someone be able to easily upgrade his ubuntu installation eventually? Could we install another linux distro?

Thanks
yiorgos

MK902II LE RK3288 Linux First Glance

Postby mJacobsenor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:23 am

I have a distribution of suse linux that seems really cool but I have NO FUCKING IDEA HOW TO USE LINUXIm also not able to find a well written comprehensive manual either. Any ideas? Besides stick to mac and windows that is?
mJacobsenor

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum