Non-android on MK802III

Forum to discuss the Dual Core Rikomagic MK802 III Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Non-android on MK802III

Postby AndyHerb » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi all. I've been given a Rikomagic MK802III by a friend so that I can run some digital signage software for a charity I help out in my spare time. We've successfully managed to update it to the stock 4.2.2 image provided by Rikomagic, but unfortunately the performance of the third-party software wasn't sufficiently good to roll out, so I'm now looking at ways to get a Linux distro onto it so that we can test performance and hopefully deliver a great final solution :D

From reading various threads it looks like Picuntu might be the best bet, but I've been struggling to follow the instructions and/or find working download links. The closest I've managed to get is to successfully flash Desktop PicUntu 5.1 onto it using Rockchip Batch Tool v1.7. Unfortunately, whilst the flash is successful and the stick reboots, it starts the load process then goes to a blank/black screen and does no more.

For the record, I've got an 8GB microSD card (so can't put the 16GB Picuntu image on it) but would be more than happy to get it working this way if anyone knows of a cleaner image which would fit my smaller card.

Thanks in advance - any help greatly appreciated as I'm beginning to lose hope that it's possible!
AndyHerb

Re: Non-android on MK802III

Postby AndyHerb » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I'm clearly doing wrong? SInce I posted last I've re-tried installing Picuntu 4.5 based on various installation guides but every time I do the first step and clear the NAND it subsequently fails and renders the stick bricked until I short pins 6 & 7.

This is so frustrating as I'm sure I'm really close and just doing one really simple thing wrong.

Thanks in advance,
Andy
AndyHerb

Return to Rikomagic MK802 III Forum