Using the Rikomagic MK802 as a desktop computer.

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

Re: Using the Rikomagic MK802 as a desktop computer.

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:50 pm

I have repeatedly requested additional boot devices from RM. Even if they don't want us doing LINUX with this, which they really have no choice over, they need to realize it even makes sense with Android.
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby kuisma » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:10 am

Just a comment to the video above. I don't believe you'll gain anything by installing the GNU/Linux directly in the NAND disk compared to the SDcard. I've tested a few different Android devices (not the MK802 though), and they all shows about the same performance of the NAND compared to a class 10 SDcard. Using different test with different block sizes, random vs linear, read vs write, sometimes the NAND wins, other times the SDcard wins.

Instead have a look at the USB performance. If anything, this may outperform both the SDcard as well as the NAND, using a fast device that is (e.g. SSD).

And a quick comment about additional boot devices. It's always possible to boot the kernel from the NAND but instead of executing the init as usual bringing up the system, use a busybox script as init, redirecting the continued boot execution (i.e. real init) to a new boot device using switchroot. This way you can boot from whatever device of your likings. I posted the link to such a script in another thread, but here it is again: http://whiteboard.ping.se/Android/Debian#init
kuisma

Postby ARMguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:32 am

I understand that in order to make it function as a desktop computer, I am sure we will need a Linux OS that run on ARM SoC. Can anyone here confirm that Opera Browser is working fine on these Linux on ARM version? Thank you in advance.
ARMguy

Postby kuisma » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:06 am

ARMguy wrote:I understand that in order to make it function as a desktop computer, I am sure we will need a Linux OS that run on ARM SoC. Can anyone here confirm that Opera Browser is working fine on these Linux on ARM version? Thank you in advance.

Debian based GNU/Linux distributions (such as Debian and Ubuntu) exists for the ARM architecture. Those includes browsers as well (iceweasel by default, a branch of firefox). The Opera browser do not exists for ARM though.
kuisma

Postby ARMguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:34 pm

kuisma wrote:Debian based GNU/Linux distributions (such as Debian and Ubuntu) exists for the ARM architecture. Those includes browsers as well (iceweasel by default, a branch of firefox). The Opera browser do not exists for ARM though.

Just as I thought. Thank you for the confirmation.

The reason I need Opera Browser is because I need to save my bandwidth usage. I guess I just have to wait for Opera Browser then. Thanks again bro.
ARMguy

Postby kuisma » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:03 pm

ARMguy wrote:
kuisma wrote:Debian based GNU/Linux distributions (such as Debian and Ubuntu) exists for the ARM architecture. Those includes browsers as well (iceweasel by default, a branch of firefox). The Opera browser do not exists for ARM though.

Just as I thought. Thank you for the confirmation.

The reason I need Opera Browser is because I need to save my bandwidth usage. I guess I just have to wait for Opera Browser then. Thanks again bro.

But Opera runs on Android/ARM, so you still got the possibility running both Android and a full blown GNU/Linux on your MK802. Either dual boot, or as I do, using Android as the primary system, but with a GNU/Linux run time environment (see my signature about how).

This said, if a general purpose GNU/Linux desktop computer is what's needed primarily, I wouldn't chose the ARM platform in the first place.
kuisma

Postby ARMguy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:41 am

kuisma wrote:But Opera runs on Android/ARM, so you still got the possibility running both Android and a full blown GNU/Linux on your MK802. Either dual boot, or as I do, using Android as the primary system, but with a GNU/Linux run time environment (see my signature about how).

This said, if a general purpose GNU/Linux desktop computer is what's needed primarily, I wouldn't chose the ARM platform in the first place.

Thanks for the reply bro. I wonder which way offer the best performance, dual-boot or as you do?

As for Opera Browser. I understand I can have it working on Android. But for Android, it was designed for touch screen usage in mind instead of mouse and keyboard as in Linux. Any advice on that would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
ARMguy

Postby kuisma » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:55 am

ARMguy wrote:
kuisma wrote:But Opera runs on Android/ARM, so you still got the possibility running both Android and a full blown GNU/Linux on your MK802. Either dual boot, or as I do, using Android as the primary system, but with a GNU/Linux run time environment (see my signature about how).

Thanks for the reply bro. I wonder which way offer the best performance, dual-boot or as you do?

i would say the performance is equally bad in both cases. The ARM platform in general, and especially the Allwinner A10, isn't design with performance in mind, and now I'm not only talking about the CPU speed, but the amount addressable memory, speed of I/O channels (forget virtual memory), etc.

But there's no performance impact running in chroot or not, so performance is not a factor choosing dual-boot or my solution. Instead, if a pure GNU/Linux system is what you need, install GNU/Linux. If you still want Android, but need GNU/Linux as well, combine them both. If you want to control the Android environment from GNU/Linux, chose my solution with Android in the chroot jail. If you only want to be able to run GNU/Linux without any integration/control/risk, run GNU/Linux in the chroot jail instead.

Down to the fine print, sure some performance difference there is. Running e.g. X11 and the X-client runs in the GNU/Linux world, but the display in the VNC server in the Android world. This this impacts performance a) negative due to the communication overhead, but b) positive due to the accelerated graphics drivers available in Android. But those differences are minor compared to the purpose using this solution as described above.

If running the GNU/Linux version of Opera is what you need, I'm afraid you'll have to go for a non-ARM platform instead, though.
kuisma

Postby Demo1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Demo1

Postby g2000 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:15 pm

Demo1 wrote:Does anybody tried to use Rikomagic 802 II as DVR recorder for full HD USB web cameras or WiFi cameras:

Can say I have but my experience with the Linux distro's (flavors) wasn't as great as I expected. I tried a few of them but I ended up going back to Android OS. Just an FYI on the camera side, I think it might be easier to pickup something already made (see link below)
http://www.totodeal.com/wireless-ip-web ... -p215.html

instead of trying to hack something together. Dont get me wrong, it would be VERY cool if you can do that, just think that it might be cheaper to get something already made & readily available. ;)
g2000

PreviousNext

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum