[SOLVED]MK802 II wifi issue in Linux

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 II Mini PC

Moderators: KEgg, twjordo, tatubias

[SOLVED]MK802 II wifi issue in Linux

Postby rickyzhang » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:20 am

I bought a MK802 II from Amazon. I'm not sure if this is made by Rikomagic. But the seller claims that this is manufactured by Rikomagic.

I tried to boot up linux as headless server at home. However, wifi doesn't work.

I ran depprobe -a. no error message...

I ran lsusb and found
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

I'm not sure what wifi chipset is used. Do anybody see this before?
Last edited by rickyzhang on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickyzhang

Re: MK802 II wifi issue in Linux

Postby sandy_grunkerson » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:38 am

I just got mine from Amazon, the cheapest MK802II I could find and it ended up being a bootleg. It wouldn't be a big deal since it's still an A10 but it has a different WiFi chip (RTL8188) than the real version so any roms meant for the actual MK802II will not have functioning WiFi. Crack it open and read the model off the WiFi chip to verify.
sandy_grunkerson

Postby mvheezik » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi,

same here. Any luck yet to get this working?

Kind regards,

Martijn
mvheezik

Postby rickyzhang » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 am

The problem was solved by me tonight. :lol:

The wifi chipset in my MK802II is rtl8188eu. It was not supported by rtl8189cu driver module.

Yesterday night I compiled 8188xx drivers from realtek website. But it doesn't work.

After spending a night in google, I found 8188eu device driver from github project:
https://github.com/Red54/linux-shumeipa ... /rtl8188eu

(BTW, this source code is for another arm stick in China. It is similar to MK802.)

I added this folder to my sun4i Linux source code, modified Kconfig and Makefile under drivers/net/wireless.

This time MK802II finally got connected.
rickyzhang

Postby rickyzhang » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:04 pm

sandy_grunkerson wrote:I just got mine from Amazon, the cheapest MK802II I could find and it ended up being a bootleg. It wouldn't be a big deal since it's still an A10 but it has a different WiFi chip (RTL8188) than the real version so any roms meant for the actual MK802II will not have functioning WiFi. Crack it open and read the model off the WiFi chip to verify.

I looked up 0bda:8179 online. The chipset is rtl8188eu
rickyzhang

Re: [SOLVED]MK802 II wifi issue in Linux

Postby bpbrunopinto » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:45 pm

Rickyzhang i have the same problem, furthermore i flashed an alternative android firmware and now i don't have wifi on android or linux. Could you please explain the steps you did to turn on the wifi on linux? I'm new to linux and I'd apreciate some help.

Thanks
bpbrunopinto

Postby rickyzhang » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:44 pm

I don't use android at all. I doubt if Linux driver can work on android.

Do you have Linux kernel source code and its build env? If not, this may not help you. You got to build kernel and driver by yourself.

In any case, I'm going to write down the whole compiling process in my personal blog soon. You can start everything from scratch.
rickyzhang

Postby mvheezik » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:40 am

rickyzhang wrote:I don't use android at all. I doubt if Linux driver can work on android.

Do you have Linux kernel source code and its build env? If not, this may not help you. You got to build kernel and driver by yourself.

In any case, I'm going to write down the whole compiling process in my personal blog soon. You can start everything from scratch.

Hi rickyzhang,

great that you solved this. I'm looking into fixing this problem for my own device. I was wondering, do I need to compile a whole new kernel or will the wifi driver sufice?
Any luck yet updating your personal blog in this regard?

Regards,

Martijn van Heezik
mvheezik

Postby rickyzhang » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:08 pm

mvheezik wrote:
rickyzhang wrote:I don't use android at all. I doubt if Linux driver can work on android.

Hi rickyzhang,

great that you solved this. I'm looking into fixing this problem for my own device. I was wondering, do I need to compile a whole new kernel or will the wifi driver sufice?
Any luck yet updating your personal blog in this regard?

Regards,

Martijn van Heezik

Hi Martijn,
I'm busy with my Hackberry board in this holidays. Sorry, I haven't got time to update my blog. In any case, here is quick info you need:

1. Download linaro pre-built image form here : http://www.4shared.com/archive/3Vqh1veX ... alimg.html
Deploy this image to you SD card. This image runs fastest in my mk802II among all pre-built image. But it can't bring up the wifi chipset.
(This is rootfs, u-boot that I'm working on. The credit should goes to the website here http://www.csksoft.net/blog/post/mk802_ ... build.html)

2. Follow instruction to get Linux kernel source:
git clone https://github.com/amery/linux-allwinner.git
git checkout 23e5456879db0175f571dec43095c49e181e0b10

3. Download rtl8188eu from another linux source:
git clone https://github.com/Red54/linux-shumeipai2.git

copy its driver folder ../drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu to Linux source code from step 2

4. Change Makefile and Kconfig so that add new driver compile option in kernel

Modify .../drivers/net/wireless/Kconfig in Linux source from step 2
add :
source "drivers/net/wireless/rtl8188eu/Kconfig"

Modify .../drivers/net/wireless/Makefile in Linux source from step 2
add:
obj-$(CONFIG_RTL8188EU) += rtl8188eu/

5. Modify build config

Download optimized config file from Toby
wget http://dryft.net/mk802/config_3.0.36-t3.gz
gunzip -c config_3.0.36-t3.gz > .config

Base on this config file, run menucofnig to enable compiling new driver
make ARCH=arm menuconfig
Goes to ->drivers->newowrk->wireless, you should see rtl8188eu that you added in step 4. If there's no such option, revisit step 3.

6. Build you image and deploy the kernel and module file to SD card. (Google any kernel compile process for mk802II. They are the same procedure)

Step 3,4,5 are for rtl8188eu wifi chipset. They are not documented in any online tutorial yet. Let me know if it works for you.

BTW, before you jump into it, right after step1, boot Linux and run lsusb. Make sure your MK802II used the same wifi chipset as mine. I believe there may be many variant in MK802II manufactured in China. Good luck!

Cheers,
Ricky
rickyzhang

Postby bookreader » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:27 pm

I have the same problem and tried many linux versions (ubuntu, lubuntu, xubuntu and fedora). They all work except wifi. The wifi is a Realtek rtl8188eus (crack open the case and you will see it). It is unfortunate that no one is working on it. By the way, you can not even find the driver for rtl8188eus on Realtek[s web site. I be there are a lot of people have the same issue.
bookreader

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 II Forum